Some Great Information on SKRW Survey and Chinook Numbers from Jason Tonelli.

an "Anglers" Protest at all major ports in Vancouver and Victoria/Nanaimo areas. Peaceful yet sufficient people to get attention. They can't stop hundreds of boats cruising around our harbours. And all of us carrying "Anglers are pissed off flags".
Hate to say it, but we had a floating protest in Victoria 4 years ago when
DFO shut down Chinook retention in the prime season.
It got about 30 seconds on CHEK news and fizzled.
The only way is through the courts and that will be a long drawn out affair.

Hate to say it, but we had a floating protest in Victoria 4 years ago when
DFO shut down Chinook retention in the prime season.
It got about 30 seconds on CHEK news and fizzled.
The only way is through the courts and that will be a long drawn out affair.
This ^^

Would need to raise many millions of dollars to take DFO to court

This ^^

Would need to raise many millions of dollars to take DFO to court
No one has tried to raise the money or awareness on any kind of scale. The NGO's can raise serious money, I don't know why we can't

No one has tried to raise the money or awareness on any kind of scale. The NGO's can raise serious money, I don't know why we can't
That's because there's no clear plan. To date, it's been "donate and then we'll have secret talks with god knows who and then maybe put out a Facebook post once a month". Always reacting to closures that are already in motion. Slowly getting chipped away at to make it feel like we're being thrown a bone here and there. DFO has an end game, and they're doing one hell of a job of not letting people know what that really is. Maybe someone will eventually have the cajones to call them out on it publicly. I don't, I still have 25 working years left before I don't care about being canceled. As amazing of a job as Jason is doing, he's in the same boat I'd imagine.

That's because there's no clear plan. To date, it's been "donate and then we'll have secret talks with god knows who and then maybe put out a Facebook post once a month". Always reacting to closures that are already in motion. Slowly getting chipped away at to make it feel like we're being thrown a bone here and there. DFO has an end game, and they're doing one hell of a job of not letting people know what that really is. Maybe someone will eventually have the cajones to call them out on it publicly. I don't, I still have 25 working years left before I don't care about being canceled. As amazing of a job as Jason is doing, he's in the same boat I'd imagine.
If we speak out against DFO’s end game we are called racists

Going to make a couple points here and then turn the temperature down in this thread. As we have stated here many times in these threads, taking runs at volunteers that spend many hours away from their families and even work, to try to do something positive for others, isn't going to fly here. If you have ideas and time to offer to make it better, join in the conversation by becoming involved in whichever group you feel you want to contribute to. If you don't like any of the groups, start your own! As to protests and flotillas, the first thing a news outlet is going to do is find the most expensive looking boat in the group and shoot photos and video of it. Then they are going to find the most vociferous and angry looking protester and place a microphone in their face and let them tell their story of how hard done by they and all fisherman are. Of course, they will edit out anything that doesn't fit the narrative they are trying to create of the wealthy guy that only wants to kill fish for his own benefit. The media is looking for the most views possible and will print and post whatever will create the most benefit to them. Raising funds for a possible court case sounds like it might be the most likely way to be heard, but there needs to be a high probability that you can win the case you are presenting or it could back fire in a big way. All the research and time needed to prepare and present this type of case costs big bucks. Yes, the NGO's raise tons of money every year, but their audience is massive vs the relatively small group of people that love to fish. The idea that money would be funnelled into a fund to support this kind of action from federally run licensing programs seems unlikely, given it would be funding a possible court case against it's own agency in DFO. There is also the challenge of what organization oversees the fund and use of the money directed it's way. Accountability and oversight would be paramount.
Now, that's not to say any avenue to make this happen shouldn't be explored, I am merely pointing out that none of this is achieved with out a lot of hard work and more funding. So, get involved and report back on the progress you see once you advance some of your ideas, but don't degrade the hard work of those putting their time, energy and best foot forward in what is a difficult and multi-faceted fight for your rights to fish and enjoy your hobby.

Brian

The reason for legal action is to force DFO to manage the fishery using the data that has already collected and keeping their end game out of it.
I would also like to see the sport fishery entitled to a percentage of TAC by the courts. Kind of like the halibut fishery. That would take away any thoughts that the salmon fishery should be entirely allocated to a particular group or groups.

You might be able to raise some decent $$$ by having all the fishing and boating retailers give an option at the til if you want to donate to an angler defense fund. This would also drive some awareness to the casual anglers and give them a way to contribute. Would be a good source of ongoing funds as well.

The SFAB has given a response back to the department, and I was requested to share it on here. The two PDF copies are attached. The SFAB response to DFO, and a study from one of the leading experts on SRKW in Washington State. Have a look at what the science from Washington state says.

Per e-mail to DFO from SFAB:

Good morning Kendra,

I’m attaching the SFAB – SRKW Committee response and advice to the Department’s request for input to the proposed 2023 Management Measures. Included is the 2023 Orca Behavioural Institute paper referenced in our submission.

We are grateful for the opportunity to meet with you on February 16, and to provide written feedback. As noted in our response, unfortunately time did not permit a deeper discussion regarding the Jasco Applied Science research paper as it relates to the applicability of Vessel Slow Down measures for recreational fishing vessels. We are proposing that TC and DFO (along with experts from Jasco) attend the upcoming SFAB South Coast meeting in March to review the Jasco research as it specifically applies to small recreational vessels. Developing a deeper understanding of small vessel acoustic impacts and evaluating if vessel slow down measures deliver desired benefits to SRKW is an important objective for the SFAB.

I have copied Mike Kelly, Chair of the SC SFAB and Greg Hornby for their information and assistance coordinating this item on the SC meeting agenda. Meghan, could you please circulate the SRKW Committee response to the SFAB member list (SFAC Chairs, Member Organizations, Exec).

Once again, many thanks.

Pat Ahern

Attachments

• SFAB - 2023 SRKW Response Draft[3].pdf
    220.4 KB · Views: 79
  • OBI 2023 ISZs and SRKWs Orca Behavior Institute[1].pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
The SFAB has given a response back to the department, and I was requested to share it on here. The two PDF copies are attached. The SFAB response to DFO, and a study from one of the leading experts on SRKW in Washington State. Have a look at what the science from Washington state says.

Good morning Kendra,

I’m attaching the SFAB – SRKW Committee response and advice to the Department’s request for input to the proposed 2023 Management Measures. Included is the 2023 Orca Behavioural Institute paper referenced in our submission.

We are grateful for the opportunity to meet with you on February 16, and to provide written feedback. As noted in our response, unfortunately time did not permit a deeper discussion regarding the Jasco Applied Science research paper as it relates to the applicability of Vessel Slow Down measures for recreational fishing vessels. We are proposing that TC and DFO (along with experts from Jasco) attend the upcoming SFAB South Coast meeting in March to review the Jasco research as it specifically applies to small recreational vessels. Developing a deeper understanding of small vessel acoustic impacts and evaluating if vessel slow down measures deliver desired benefits to SRKW is an important objective for the SFAB.

I have copied Mike Kelly, Chair of the SC SFAB and Greg Hornby for their information and assistance coordinating this item on the SC meeting agenda. Meghan, could you please circulate the SRKW Committee response to the SFAB member list (SFAC Chairs, Member Organizations, Exec).

Once again, many thanks.

Pat Ahern
I would like to commend those that prepared the response to DFO for doing an excellent job. Thank you

Talk of flotillas and other protest forms sounds colorful and appealing to some, but at that point the game is already lost. The only meaningful play is to engage government during the policy making process; it is exceptionally difficult to change a decision once announced.

Support and involvement with groups like SFAB is where the real work is done. Being recognized stakeholder with a place at the table is far more effective than throwing rocks from the outside.

Good morning Kendra,

Once again, many thanks.

Pat Ahern
I took the time to wade through the Washington State study and basically, the two exclusion zones around Pender and Saturna are not even primary areas for SKRW foraging? Kind of unbelievable that this was their solution versus other ideas that Washington State suggests that would !) actually protect the whales and 2) be less onerous to both boaters and anglers.

Almost seems that the Federal Government just ignores real science and just pulls stuff out of their butt to placate NGO's and other interest groups that they deem are aligned with their re-election goals. Sad.

Back