If I don't want to pay the price for an Islander..... what would you buy?

Trophy with islander springs,, fixes the drag adjustment instantly and makes it a beautiful reel
Do you mean the one spring under the drag knob? Any idea on cost? To be honest if that's all it takes I have no other issues with the Trophies. I kind of like their size, style and the not too noisey clicker.

Do you mean the one spring under the drag knob? Any idea on cost? To be honest if that's all it takes I have no other issues with the Trophies. I kind of like their size, style and the not too noisey clicker.
yep. change it to an islander spring. game changer for the trophy reels

I have 2x Trophies with islander springs and they are great. I also have a TMX 5 as my third/center rod I recently got and find it good as well. Fought a lot of fish on these reels and they hold up fine. I've fished with islanders MR2, MR3 and do NOT like the drag adjustment or the creep.

I would recommend both Trophy (with spring mod) or TMX 5 with its almost maintenance free drag. Even the person I get my reels serviced at likes the TMX 5s.

*** for all you islander fan-boys, yes I have actually tried a few different islanders (guest coming to fish with me brought them) and NO I did not like them. Also line creep was very annoying. I'm glad you may like them but for me they aren't what I want in a reel BUT have not problem with those who do think they are great.

Last edited:
Is that the 782 model from back in the 80's?
I was shocked to see any reference for a Mitchel 782. I've had one of these since new and loved it, but somehow put it away when I moved onto a Shimano, and then to my Islander. I just serviced all the reels and put new line on them recently as well. For me they all suit my needs. I never would have gotten the Islander MR3 (now $829 list OMG!) except my wife gave it to me as a surprise birthday present along with a G-Loomis Rod.

Wanted to get a good quality reel with a free spool lever so I can use it for jigging as well as trolling. Ended up buying a used Islander MR2 large arbor. Love the reel - smooth as silk.

I have 2 Islanders (MR3 & MR2LA) and since I have lubed them properly (i.e. no graphite powder) just super lube the cork, leave overnight and wipe off any excess the next day I have not had any drag creep on either reel. I lube the cork drag once a year depending on level of use.

*** for all you islander fan-boys, yes I have actually tried a few different islanders (guest coming to fish with me brought them) and NO I did not like them. Also line creep was very annoying. I'm glad you may like them but for me they aren't what I want in a reel BUT have not problem with those who do think they are great.
TOTALLY agree way too much money and service sucks when you have to pay for bearings!!!
I have been running trophy reels for the past two years. I like them but I am not overly happy with the drag adjustments. They either seem to be on or off kind of hard to fine tune. I know other people have gone with an islander spring and maybe this makes a difference, I am going to order some and try. The trophy reel I have also is a cork drag, not sure if a carbon drag is better? I have always wondered what the difference between carbon and cork drag is and why one would be preferred over the other.
Bring it to me ill fix it so you get no back lash and runs smooth been running these reels for 16 years now FINALLY had to retire the old steel blue one this year after 15 years I cant believe i didnt get more years LOL
I even put islander paddle handles way back in the day on them.

TOTALLY agree way too much money and service sucks when you have to pay for bearings!!!

Bring it to me ill fix it so you get no back lash and runs smooth been running these reels for 16 years now FINALLY had to retire the old steel blue one this year after 15 years I cant believe i didnt get more years LOL
I even put islander paddle handles way back in the day on them.
Just ordered some springs this morning and if I have any further issues I’ll bring you the reels. Where are you located? I live in Vancouver.

I was shocked to see any reference for a Mitchel 782. I've had one of these since new and loved it, but somehow put it away when I moved onto a Shimano, and then to my Islander. I just serviced all the reels and put new line on them recently as well. For me they all suit my needs. I never would have gotten the Islander MR3 (now $829 list OMG!) except my wife gave it to me as a surprise birthday present along with a G-Loomis Rod.
I found one that seemed unused in a 2nd hand shop. Had some good line on it, so started using it a few days a year. Drag is good, tho takes some time to get used to it. drag washers seem excellent. There is no clicker so took it apart, and found no pawl to do the clicking!

I found one that seemed unused in a 2nd hand shop. Had some good line on it, so started using it a few days a year. Drag is good, tho takes some time to get used to it. drag washers seem excellent. There is no clicker so took it apart, and found no pawl to do the clicking!
My washers had dried out so I cleaned them up and used a bit of Super Lube on those and the brass ones so it will be smooth next time out. There is definitely a pawl needed for the clicker switch to work. I hope you can find / make one.

The Islander drag springs @Marley and I ordered to upgrade our Trophy XLs arrived today (crazy fast). I pulled the springs in my reels and the difference in the two components is striking (see pic). The Trophy springs use thicker stock and are tighter wound with very little flex compared to the Islanders, but otherwise pretty much identical in terms of overall depth and diameter. After installing the Islander springs, the difference in drag performance just peeling line by hand is very noticeable from a ‘fine adjustment’ perspective. The real treat though is when I crank up the pressure there is a gradual increase in drag all the way to full stop. Before, with those fat OEM springs and their lack of flexibility, the drag used to max out almost immediately, resulting in a very on/off drag. Looking forward to getting them out on the water and seeing how they perform on the down-riggers and under some (hopefully) major line-peeling stress.

Attachments

• Springs.jpg
    Springs.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 29
The Islander drag springs @Marley and I ordered to upgrade our Trophy XLs arrived today (crazy fast). I pulled the springs in my reels and the difference in the two components is striking (see pic). The Trophy springs use thicker stock and are tighter wound with very little flex compared to the Islanders, but otherwise pretty much identical in terms of overall depth and diameter. After installing the Islander springs, the difference in drag performance just peeling line by hand is very noticeable from a ‘fine adjustment’ perspective. The real treat though is when I crank up the pressure there is a gradual increase in drag all the way to full stop. Before, with those fat OEM springs and their lack of flexibility, the drag used to max out almost immediately, resulting in a very on/off drag. Looking forward to getting them out on the water and seeing how they perform on the down-riggers and under some (hopefully) major line-peeling stress.
Who did you order from ? do you have a part # Thanks

Who did you order from ? do you have a part # Thanks
I ordered from Mike's Reel Repair in Chilliwack through their website - there's a link to the specific product page below. I called them yesterday before I ordered to confirm they had inventory. They had 5 in stock and I bought 4 - greedy, I know - so they are now questionable if you need something right away. Berry's is sold out but they told me they might have some in stock next week when I called them. That was the only other place I talked to before hitting pay dirt at Mike's.

Back