Ideas for 13-14' fishing boat

aheny

After a few trips with the family, we have decided that our 24' Campion doesnt suit our needs. On family trips we are mainly camping/touring the gulf islands, and the planing hull totally doesnt suit this purpose. When I do go fishing, it isnt with the entire family, so I am looking to get into something smaller.

I have put the campion up for sale/trade, and am looking at 28-32' sailboats for our family trips, and my plan is to set up either a welded aluminum or boston whaler style trailered tender/fishing boat. I am pretty much set on a 13-14' (Maybe 16') and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at a 15' duroboat, side console. Welded hull, riveted seats, Some come with a nice bow rail. Lightweight and usually can find used for about 4K on a trailer. perfect for 2, comfortable for 3.

I looked high and low for a welded 14 foot tinner. Rarer in the used market than hens teeth. I looked for close to a year. The one I was looking for was a Cope. They're beauties but people hang onto them.

I ended up buying a Lund SSV14 with a 20, 4 stroke Honda. What a great rig it is, I'm really enjoying it. Not welded like I wanted but its really a good solid boat, nice and stable and doesn't leak a drop.

I was shy of riveted hulls, I have an older 12 footer that leaks like a sieve but this Lund is great.

I don't go way off shore in it obviously, I stick close to the Vic waterfront and have to pick my days for decent weather. But it gets me out there where I love to be and have managed to scratch up some dandy fish while at it. :)

14 foot tinnies are so versatile. You can fish ocean or lake easily and they are super economical to run. My Honda in a 5 hour outing of trolling the whole time will sip about 3 liters of fuel. I like that. :)

I see quite a few people out there in 12 an 14 ft open boats. They are fine in calm days with small tides, however IMO anything less than 16ft is barely adequate. Sixteen foot Whalers are fairly beamy and easily trailerable, as are many aluminium boats. They may be a bit big for a tender however. Have you looked at or considered rigid hull inflatables, I see lots behind sailboats and they appear quite sea worthy in your specified length.

Ive actually noticed more and more sailboats pulling around larger tenders, bayliner trophy style boats, and it seemed like a great idea. Its a short cruise to the gulf islands, get the family set up, and then off to do some serious fishing. Im fishing in an inflatable now, and want to get away from always worring about where my hooks are and things like that.

In time I want to upgrade the fishing boat, but for this year 14' is what I'm looking for. You would probably have a stroke if you saw me bobbing up and down in my 10' off the sandheads lighthouse, but small boats can actually handle some significant long period waves. You just need to be close to an escape route, like the sandheads jetty, where you can pick the side that is out of the wind to head in

What do you think of these aluminums?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/bod/3986480808.html

You should try and find a 13-15 foot welded aluminum centre console. They are great for all the reasons you mention. This is my dads boat that I grew up fishing on. I think it's only 13.5' or something. We've fished the Sunshine Coast, sooke, sidney, gulf islands, Nootka and port hardy in this boat. You can easily take her ashore anywhere. Launching is easy with one person, you could even tow it with a car. This one was made by Kellahan on the mainland.

Ive actually noticed more and more sailboats pulling around larger tenders, bayliner trophy style boats, and it seemed like a great idea. Its a short cruise to the gulf islands, get the family set up, and then off to do some serious fishing. Im fishing in an inflatable now, and want to get away from always worring about where my hooks are and things like that.

In time I want to upgrade the fishing boat, but for this year 14' is what I'm looking for. You would probably have a stroke if you saw me bobbing up and down in my 10' off the sandheads lighthouse, but small boats can actually handle some significant long period waves. You just need to be close to an escape route, like the sandheads jetty, where you can pick the side that is out of the wind to head in

What do you think of these aluminums?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/v... /bod/3986480808.html
If you are looking in that price range you can almost get a 14' built at Silverstreak or Lifetimer or any number of places on the island. Lots of good local builders out there. I have a 15' Silverstreak and it is a great boat for its size and feels far bigger than it is......IMO It depends a bit on if this is just a make do for now boat or going to be a keeper?

x2 on Kildonan's Lund recommendation. I ran a 14' Lund SV for ten years with a 20hp Yami and it was very solid. Lots of solo fishing and OK with two but a third would have to be a child.

Bonus is it sold in a week in the fall for damn near what I paid for it. Silver Streaks are a better boat with a corresponding bigger price.

Do a search of Poett Nook March Derby to see Fog Ducker's smaller boat. I'm enjoying my Whaler 17 with a tiller. The center console can take up a lot of room. I fished a lot of places in my whaler 11. It's small, but a still great boat.

I had a 14' Lund SSV with a 25hp yamaha 4 stroke. I took it to Bamfield a couple of times was a great boat. If I was going to downsize to a 14' I'd watch for another. I loved that boat, but I like being out of the weather now.

ide go with some kind of a aluminum 14 or 16ft boat, i have a newer 14ft aluminum lund boat fully loaded for fishing, and it is the only size that i really need for fishing and exploring the gulf islands, i fish out on the outside but the only downer is that when fishing on the outside you have to watch the winds, but other then that a 14ft deep and wide aluminum boat is a great size for the gulf islands, heres a picture of my boat :) matts pictures 001.jpgmatts pictures 002.jpg

Any thoughts on aluminum vs Boston whaler 15? I do like the idea of banging around welded aluminum on Oyster beaches. ... But an unsinkable boat has its advantages too

A glue on keel guard would make the whaler more beachable. I like the lateral stabilty of my whalers. Leaning over, stepping on gunnels at dock, 2 people on one side etc...Mine are old ('74, '77) and have a bit of water in them, but are solid boats.

I used to have my self a sweet Springbok 14'6 . Was a great boat ; used it to fish and even guided out of it. Came with live bait tank; 6' beam and platform seats and storage. had it set up with a 30 hp yamaha ; it was faster than lightning a got great mpg. perfect small aluminum imho . New they were about 10k plus motor. Sad when I let mine go but it was time to upgrade to family size.

Any thoughts on aluminum vs Boston whaler 15? I do like the idea of banging around welded aluminum on Oyster beaches. ... But an unsinkable boat has its advantages too

Whalers definitely aren't unsinkable... :D.

I have an SSV-16 Lund with factory steering and console.

Mine has a 30 EFI Merc on it with a 4 horse kicker.

Top speed is about 25 mph with me and the wife in it.

Not a bad little boat for the money......easily transportable and sips gas.

But........The alloy is a tad thin IMO. 60 thou on the sides and 80 thou on the bottom. Would have like quite a bit thicker without spending a fortune.

Beam is 72 inches....would have liked they made it a tad wider.

Lund has a good selection of boats....if you live back east.

Out here on the west coast you will get hammered with shipping if you order one that the dealer doesn't carry.

The Lund dealers on the island don't carry a hell of a lot of anything. Maybe some WC's and a couple of SSv's and that's about it.

Too bad because they make boats that would fit my budget that have thicker hulls.....

28,000 dollars for a 16ft Harbercraft "Warrior" is ridiculous.

Back