Hunting: 2010

Well if the weather here in sooke tells me anything. Tonight will be your night Nog! Not sure about what its like up there though.

Good Luck

Steve

ITS is just howling here in sooke big winds hopefully you get him bud.

Good LUCK

Bugger is a GHOST!
No sign of him again last night except some fresh boot-prints that weren't there in the morning. Can't get there today, but will be again tomorrow. Man, this one is eating up a LOT of time! Smart! Wouldn't have it any other way! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Well spent the day in the snow yesterday. Man those deer have gone loonie. Saw 9 deer. One spike buck. one 3x3 buck and 7 does. Dident bother shooting the spike even though he stood there for atleast 5-6 mins for me to pop him. The 3x3 was a little smarter and chased the does into the thick of things. I might head back up tomorrow. The snow and rut are making them stupid.

I was able to walk withing 5 feet of a doe, she then wandered off to a creek and tried to cross. While doing so she fell into the creek and struggled to get herself out. I sat and drank my coffee and had a little chuckle. Then as Im sitting there another 2 does wander out looking stupid. The buck was around but he wouldent show his face. 3 hours later on the way back out the 3x3 was at the same spot with one doe. must be a popular little hangout!

Gotta love the snow!

-Steve

Hello from sask !!!!! well got the 3 buck down today 1 more to go one buddy got a buck that is about 24 inches wide and the other guy has a HEAVY 5x4 and his bases have got to be about 8 inches around if not more very thick old buck, just me now and a few mule deer does and we will be done snowing hard today but bucks are in FULL rut seeing about 200 plus deer a day good times. ill post pics when I get home.

Good luck Wolf

home now and will post s pics as soon as I figure this thing out all meat is hanging in cooler ....

Well day one started out -27 and the first buck down by one of our buddies out there. dy 2 we passed on a lot of really nice bucks but being only day 1 we wanted to look around some more.

Day 3 and 2 bucks fell both buddies from here first one down was a 24 inch wide 4x4 with nice long main beams an hour later it was the huge 5x4 with very thick bases 7 inches. and also long mains, day 5 saw our guide and friend Gary get his buck in a snow storm finally got mine a nice 7x5 with split G1s all very nice bucks along with some mule deer does to top us up great hunt lots of snow but damn cold.

Attachments

• SASK 2010 004.jpg
    SASK 2010 004.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 46
  • SASK 2010 014.jpg
    SASK 2010 014.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 49
  • SASK 2010.jpg
    SASK 2010.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 44
  • SASK 2010 019.jpg
    SASK 2010 019.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 44
And the racks all lined up from the hunt rather impressive id say, This was my 10th year and maybe my last as they want to introduce a draw system which I find baffling as from talking to the farmers they say there is way more deer and way less hunters now???? we would come into any where from 30 to 70 deer in a area in spots as they are everywhere. the last couple of year we as canadiens can get 2 mule deer tags if we wanted we just get 1 as thats lots.While we were there they introduced while we were hunting where we could go in and get an additional whitetail deer doe tag as there ar trying to knock the the numbers I guess?????.
we didnt as we had enough deer by then we didnt see very much hunter for sure maybe 1 or 2 a day and we cover a lot of area.
and you think dfo is screwed up LOL

Attachments

• SASK 2010 030.jpg
    SASK 2010 030.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 43
Nice deer Wolf-where-abouts in sask. were you? Spent lots of time hunting with black powder for mulies and whitetails around Moose Jaw and Val Marie.

Spring down in that neck mostly shaunovan and eastend area kinda all over that area north east west south he kinda goes where it moves him LOL LOL we didnt hunt the cypress hills much as there was too much snow up there and alot of low cloud/ fog.

Tom as for the regs we didnt even get stopped but we deboned all the ribs and shoulders and took out the back straps and put all that meat into bins then cut the hinds into short hip so the roasts can age longer,just finished doing all the trim into ground all ready wrapped and into our freezers and going to have WT burgers for dinner...LOL

Wolf

Good Job Buddy!
7.gif

Was wondering when those pix would get up!
Looks like one hell of a fun time!! Congrats!

The Biggie we were chasing so hard got whacked by a landowner when he wandered onto his posted fields. Sucks, but that's the way it rolls sometimes I guess. Now looking for another, right sneaky bugger, he is providing a LOT of entertainment! Hope he makes a mistake soon, down to 6 days now...

Cheers,
Nog

Freakin' monsters Wolf! Way to go man.

I'm movin' to Sask!

Here is a pic Trev wanted me to post for him of one of him and a fellow got...

Attachments

• nov 12 deer 029.jpg
    nov 12 deer 029.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 21
You shot my buck! Im pretty sure thats the buck I was hunting. Beauty deer. Congrats!

Well island deer season is wrapping up. Ive got my freezer full of moose so im going to let the bucks grow and get bigger next year!

Wolf- Those deer are some beauties! Must be like shooting fish in a barrel out there in Sask!

-Steve

And here is some other pics of our sask trip with my buddies... this was a real cranker of a mule deer and a few other we let go. and something you would never guess to see out on the bald a$$ praire we saw him for about 5 miles kept bumping into him many years ago came across one that had about 8 or 9 on the brow got a pic of him but its far away and about 60 inch plus wide.

Enjoy

Wolf

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 32
Great pics and congrats on the bucks Wolf!!

I do have to agree.....and I grew up in MB.....it IS weird seeing pics of moose out on the wide open prairie.

Just reading about the "big bull" you saw....I'll throw up a pic of a bull that my Dad took a month or so ago while up in a Nat'l park near the MB/SK border. He does tons of moose photography/filming....and has had a few shows actually filmed about him being such a moose dork by National Geographic/BBC etc.

Back