Huatulco fishing next week

tykkyt e blue

Sculpin and Co. have inspired me...doubt I can rise to his level of photography and prose...but, a fish report is still a report, especially this time of year ( I'm deeply hoping there will be NO toilet report )

The family and I, just booked a last minute trip to Huatulco Mexico next week. Yaaaaaaay!!!! $#$^%&^ work, I'm going fishing!!!
We have been before, 5 years ago, and I have managed to dig up the email addy of the local guide I met last trip. We have made plans for 2 trips offshore for me, and 1 inshore/snorkle tour for the wife and kids.
AND, since I'm a tackle junkie, it matches with the gear I just received mail order today ( see pics) Most of the gear was on sale during the 'black friday' weekend - I bought it all for my rapidly growing tuna arsenal. I'm sure it all would be happier getting wet next week, rather than waiting for August - don't you think?
The rod is a 7' Okuma Nomad M and MH travel kit ( 3 section rod - 2 dif tip weights ). Okuma must have a 'funny' rating sys. It is rated 15-30 for the M tip and 30-60 for the MH tip. Both tips are WAY stiffer when compared to my Daiwa Saltist 20-40 M and Shimano Tallus 20-40 M I used this past summer - but the sensitivity seems about the same when I tap a jig on the driveway from the kitchen deck.

Report to follow...

Attachments

• DSCN4279.jpg
    DSCN4279.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCN4274.jpg
    DSCN4274.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN4275.jpg
    DSCN4275.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCN4280.jpg
    DSCN4280.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN4278.jpg
    DSCN4278.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 215
I have the casting version of the Okuma Nomad and love it!! Lighter tip section with more give for chucking spoons and trolling, stiffer tip for vertical jigging. I'm heading to cabo soon and thinking of getting the spinning version and matching it with the new Penn Spinfisher V. Plan to fish daily from the marina breakwater (san jose del cabo) for Sierra's and such and make a couple of Panga trips. Good luck in Huatulco. Will be interesting to hear how you make out and how you like your Nomad.

Cheers, Ukee

I like the Oaxaca coast-wilder than the Coconut Coast further north-if the current is swinging close you'll do well.

There's a guy from Huatulco posting on Bloodydecks who's doing well jigging bigger models of Grouper and he picked up a Marlin fishing single handed the other day.

¡Que Pasa un buen viaje!

Have a great trip Terry!. A buddy of mine has been down there a couple of times now relaxing but not fishing and loves it there. He was on a tour boat last year and they stopped to watch a HUGE school of yellowfin tuna. They were right at the boat and you could see them underwater. Pretty cool stuff.

Can't wait for the report.

Cheers,
John

I went fishing twice in huatulco 2 years ago in a Pangea with captain George. Make sure that your boat and captain know what there doing and have all the safety equipment. On the 2nd outing George took us way offshore and with the weather getting bad everyone was heading in yet we were heading south west. What a mistake we got stuck in very steep Hugh waves the boat was slamming so hard the gas had water in it and it mixed the gas so well the motor would not run. We took a couple waves in over the stern, we snapped and or pulled out half the bolts on there dog **** hardtop thing. No radio his cell phone got wet and was not working everyone was very scared including the captain. We ended up getting the motor to fire but it was running so rough we hardly had the jam to get up and down the waves. This was a 24 foot Pangea with a pretty large bow and we took lots of green water over it. We ended up landing 10 miles south of the resort in a construction area we then hitch hiked back. Very scary and a really eye opener it was beautiful that morning on the way out and it kicked up face with wind over tide. It's the captains job to keep everyone safe and I think this captain was worried more about money then safety and did not read the changing conditions very well.

I went fishing twice in huatulco 2 years ago in a Pangea with captain George. Make sure that your boat and captain know what there doing and have all the safety equipment. On the 2nd outing George took us way offshore and with the weather getting bad everyone was heading in yet we were heading south west. What a mistake we got stuck in very steep Hugh waves the boat was slamming so hard the gas had water in it and it mixed the gas so well the motor would not run. We took a couple waves in over the stern, we snapped and or pulled out half the bolts on there dog **** hardtop thing. No radio his cell phone got wet and was not working everyone was very scared including the captain. We ended up getting the motor to fire but it was running so rough we hardly had the jam to get up and down the waves. This was a 24 foot Pangea with a pretty large bow and we took lots of green water over it. We ended up landing 10 miles south of the resort in a construction area we then hitch hiked back. Very scary and a really eye opener it was beautiful that morning on the way out and it kicked up face with wind over tide. It's the captains job to keep everyone safe and I think this captain was worried more about money then safety and did not read the changing conditions very well.

Scary stuff for sure JAC. That sounds like a nightmare. At least the water is super warm down there. Hope there was life jackets on board. I do like to hear about stories that folks have experienced in different places and that is one hell of an experience. Hope it never happens to anyone else and I hope it doesn't happen to Terry.

Wi Fi is your friend if available. Check the weather yourself. We did every evening. The problem we found was with our area in Mexico the buoy's were not real and they base the forecast on models and that is using the buoy weather subscription. Up here we have real buoy's out there so the forecast is more accurate.

Any way's stay safe Terry. Have a great trip man.

Cheers again,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Results

I managed to get out for one full day offshore and a half day of inshore fishing. The water was very green along shore and we ended up going 24 miles due south before finding clear blue. Once a 'coorent linn' ( tide line ) between the green n blue was found, we hooked into a good batch of Dorado for the last 2 hours of the day. My guide 'Teko' is a firm believer in bait, so my selection of skirts n such got a cool reception. He humoured me on 2 of the 6 lines, but all the fish were caught on 12" ballyhoo w teaser jet heads.
The large amount of green water was coming up from the south. There's a deep trench running S SW from Guatalmala towards the equator, and at times the deep cooler water upwells enough to change the local water. While we trolled, I kept hoping to find signs of bait/birds and such, but other than a large pod of dolphins ( also heading slowly south ) there was not much life to see. Talking to some of the other guides, the majority disliked the greener water and all said the billfish would return when 'the blooo commss bac'. Although I was hoping for some sailfish action, I really enjoyed the Dorado. They should be called COHOrados the way they jump and change direction.

Attachments

• DSCN4301.jpg
    DSCN4301.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN4307.jpg
    DSCN4307.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCN4314.jpg
    DSCN4314.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN4327.jpg
    DSCN4327.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN4329.jpg
    DSCN4329.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 198
Senior--- I carry luggage for you.... OK// Just send me plane ticket.............

Damn Terry, that is one beautiful bull in the 4th picture. Pretty jealous of all these Mexico trips being had...thanks for posting!

Inshore day

A few days later, we trolled along the shore with some of the Albacore sized lures I had brought. About 6 miles east of the resort area, there is a river that has made a small delta out 400 yards or so. Size 10 rapalas and yo zuris were irresistable to the Spainish Mackeral ( Sierras) and 'Yak' fish ( I think Teko meant 'Jack' cause they sure looked like Crevalle to me - lol ) We had agreed to give any shore fish to some of the marina staff and harbour master. After a dozen fish or so, we had our fill.
Even tho the green water had not receded, I asked to head a few miles offshore for the chance to find another current break. Teko clearly thought I was wasting my charter money but he agreed. I told him that I would be happy to treat it like 'test' fishing since many of the lures I bought had not been wet yet. We found a strong tide line (but no color change) and I got to play w my gear. The Pline Tuna rollers and Pakula 5.5" hybrids got spread out 3 to each side and I crossed my fingers...
This day was very calm and Teko had gone up on the tower to drive ( again, I'm sure he was convinced that I was nuts and he would not need to get involved landing any fish )
We trolled for about a half hour...Mexican sun and Sol beers are a good enough reason to be there never mind catching, when I notice an obvious small vee wake behind one of the lures on a short drop off the outrigger. It keeps coming and going... then its on the other side...??? " Hey, Teko, look at the outrigger lines!!!"??? HA HA - he's awake now!
Quick! Quick - you cast bait!! hurry! While he points to the bait bucket and two rigged ballyhoo. He jazzed the throttle and had us doing a 300 yard donut while I got an extra rod and clipped on the bait leader. I had brought a couple new Okuma Nomad travel rods along w my TLD 15's, but decided they were too stiff for the morning shore catch so that's the rod I grabbed..I can't say that my casting form would have impressed anyone from Westport. The bait flopped into the water about 70' feet behind the boat as Teko is yelling " noo cluttich, noo cluttich, my friend!!!" and he straightens out the boat and adds more throttle - we're going prob 15-16 mph and I'm thumbing the reel - Power pro braid is not the smoothest and it was bone dry. (there's some fingerprint left on my thumb, but not much..) Wham! it feels like something hit the rod with a broomstick 2x
Now Teko is yellling "Cluttich! Cluttich!!!! and we're hooked up!!!! A nice bull Dorado jumps prob 5' straight up and back flips like a Sea World dolphin! wheee! Between the boat speed and the fish, I bet there was 200 yards of line out in seconds. Keep in mind, there is still 6 other lines out and the guide is still in the tower - looool. In the end, I lost the fish about 50' from the boat, but it was the highlight of my week in Huatulco.

Attachments

• DSCN4388.jpg
    DSCN4388.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN4332.jpg
    DSCN4332.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN4393.jpg
    DSCN4393.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN4394.jpg
    DSCN4394.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN4295.jpg
    DSCN4295.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 73
Great report and a very good read. Thank you so much for sharing it. I like how you took control of the charter. Sounds like a really fun trip. Those Dodo's are just like big hooked nosed Northern Coho in how they fight and jump. Cool stuff for sure. Looks like a nice boat too!

I have been researching like hell for my next trip down there.

Dorado are nuts. Seen them come up from below a lip hooked live bait and do 3 rotations.... End over end. They pull hard, and it's fun casting to them, they are weirdos and tuck up under anything that has a shadow.
Thanksgiving last year, 0 dark 30 departure from Nuevo marina, 11 dorado, 95lb sail.... Bonked. And I still hate the captain for killing the sail. I was expressive about release, he wanted to sell taxidermy.
Fantastic fishing, but once they gaffed it I was done.. Back at dock, he asked for tip, informed him I paid for a full day, and ended after 5 hrs. keep the fish.
Once you see the vibrant "alive" colors fade when dead, go from electric to nothing.... Let em swim.

Nice stuff there Blue...
I love the dorado action such a hoot and one of the best tasting fish for sure...

Jan 8th out of La Cruz De Huanacaxtle....hoping for some inshore dorado...

Cheers,

Getbent

Sounds like a great trip terry!! I fish a couple of moochin set-ups down here(los Barriles) for sierra and dorado and it is a real blast!! The natives and yankee gringo's think I'm nuts but a bull dorado on a 10"6 mooching rod is unbelievable!! I know what they think-what happens if you hit a marlin or a sail-could happen and I may lose it but I never keep them anyway and think of the BS available. Fishing sucks right now-windy as hell-but it's warm and the cervesa's are cold!!

Back