How young is too young to keep fish?

You nailed it adv.

Not advocating abuse of the regs but in the day and age where the direction I wipe my butt is regulated by college grads with no skin in the game, I get my back up when people can STILL get on me for following the rules and taking home a fish on my kids license. That was paid for mind you.

If this is about something FM said in another thread, take it with a grain of salt. That guys got no shortage of opinions, yet I dont think hes posted a single first-hand report this year and Ive followed the Vancouver Reports thread fairly closely. Its always second-hand info parroted from a guides social media, or a story from 20 years ago bragging about how he used to slay them. I have nothing against the guy personally, just observing what I see on here... All Im saying is consider the source. :)

As far as taking a kid fishing goes, I say good on ya. Start em young, teach them to respect the resource, and if they develop a passion for it later in life you can take satisfaction in knowing you had a helping hand.

If you ink 30 fish on your licence in a year, thats more than enough to feed your whole family. Having a toddler out there just to take a few extra fish is nothing but blatant greed, and as with anything in life, there are always some who will abuse the privilege. In my boat when I fish with friends, I let them play most of the fish, and usually send them home with the fish as well. Every fish gets written on a licence and sometimes that happens to be my licence. At the end of the day, youll know which side of the line you stand on. Its as simple as that!

wheres the ****** Bang On Button :)

This little f**cker is the reason I am here.............on a fishing forum....and I am talking about the fish, not the devilishly handsome kid. :p:p:p

First ever....and Grandpa helped me bring it in, truth be told I am pretty sure I didn't have a license but could be wrong. I am all about getting kids out, sure with almost every aspect of our sport/hobby there are people who will exploit. In saying that....I believe in the good of the world in that hopefully the positive outweighs the negative.

Pip.jpg

This little f**cker is the reason I am here.............on a fishing forum....and I am talking about the fish, not the devilishly handsome kid. :p:p:p

First ever....and Grandpa helped me bring it in, truth be told I am pretty sure I didn't have a license but could be wrong. I am all about getting kids out, sure with almost every aspect of our sport/hobby there are people who will exploit. In saying that....I believe in the good of the world in that hopefully the positive outweighs the negative.

View attachment 32917
Black and white Scotty lol you must be old lol:p. Get the kids out there as said before they are the future and earlier the better. Peeps that have a problem with fish on a kids license have nothing better to do then troll or like someone already said they probably don't even have kids !! Best part of growing up for me were my summers on commie boats. Glad I was out on the ocean before I could walk lol

Last edited:
Black and white Scotty lol you must be old lol:p. Get the kids out there as said before they are the future and earlier the better. Peeps that have a problem with fish on a kids license have nothing better to do then troll or like someone already said they probably don't even have kids !! Best part of growing up for me were my summers on commie boats. Glad I was out on the ocean before I could walk lol

With a head like yours your lucky you didn't get mixed in with the crab bait....

It amazing how these group of individuals feel that trolling, flaming against some one who is following the regs. It important to mentor the young . If they have a license then they have the right to write a catch on there license . They were there and paid their dues joining the adventure. Keep up sharing with the young ones and thanks for sharing

I think anything past 2 years of age is fine. At that age my son is totally aware of everything that is going on. He's also old enough to beat it to death with a bonker.

I have only had him out on a lake not in the salt yet. Was heady to be able to fish the extra rod in a lake.

As far as the legality of it all it comes down to Possion limit and the actual act of catching it has nothing to do with it.

I know of a legal case where a judge ruled that a guide took possion of a illegal fish when they netted it and actually did not charge his client who was on the rod.

It's a hugely gray area and depends on how a judges rules when the actual possion takes place. Does it take place when the fish hits the rod and how do u assign ownership to the rod? Does it take place when u net it? Does it take place when u kill it? Or does just arbitrarily decidibg when the fish is landed who it is good enough. I think in most case the latter is fine

I also know of a case where a dfo officer was watching a bunch of guys fishing and his friend who had already stopped fishing had who had his limit came over to help him land it and kill his fish. The officer ticketed him for keeping over his limit despite his friends intentions who cought the fish and whot intended to kept it. Super petty on the officers part if u ask me. This was on the river during sockey fishing so u know how that goes

I think anything past 2 years of age is fine. At that age my son is totally aware of everything that is going on. He's also old enough to beat it to death with a bonker.

I have only had him out on a lake not in the salt yet. Was heady to be able to fish the extra rod in a lake.

As far as the legality of it all it comes down to Possion limit and the actual act of catching it has nothing to do with it.

I know of a legal case where a judge ruled that a guide took possion of a illegal fish when they netted it and actually did not charge his client who was on the rod.

It's a hugely gray area and depends on how a judges rules when the actual possion takes place. Does it take place when the fish hits the rod and how do u assign ownership to the rod? Does it take place when u net it? Does it take place when u kill it? Or does just arbitrarily decidibg when the fish is landed who it is good enough. I think in most case the latter is fine

I also know of a case where a dfo officer was watching a bunch of guys fishing and his friend who had already stopped fishing had who had his limit came over to help him land it and kill his fish. The officer ticketed him for keeping over his limit despite his friends intentions who cought the fish and whot intended to kept it. Super petty on the officers part if u ask me. This was on the river during sockey fishing so u know how that goes

A judge wouldnt have even heard the last case. A quick reprimand for the officer and the fine is scrapped

These are fun threads....what's fun is how the original topic gets twisted and then successive posts manipulate the original scenario and then it turns things into something it was not.

Character assassinations aside...refer back to the original thread.

I love the way a lot of people out there, including many people on this forum make DFO regulations and officers out to be total goof offs and jokers and fall back into "that's not what the guidebook says".

A child...say a 5 year old who is assisted in angling and landing a fish is perfectly legal.

However, just because you have a license and a child on board and the child doesn't actually angle and play a substantial role in landing the fish so you do it yourself and then mark the fish on their license and keep fishing until all the licenses on board are at daily or possession limits is not legal. That's my opinion and my information and what I know to be true.

A person cannot gift your fish to another person and keep fishing and angle a double limit yourself that day. The memes on the other thread while funny...do illustrate a point.

Anyways...I don't have the gift of having children but I sincerely hope everyone enjoys fishing with their kids....and I welcome anyone who wants to go ahead and do what they believe is right....

However When you run into that situation and they write you a few citations and you appear in court....and are convicted...I submit that you detail your unjust ordeal here.

Over the years of reading the Fisheries convictions I see a lot of people, including top tier lodges and guides being convicted. I'm sure they had their convictions what they were doing was 100% legal too... because it doesn't say that in the "guide" and in the case they weren't convicted that means the authorities are a bunch of incompetent jerk offs. Everyone loves a story of how someone fought the law and won so therefore the law and lawman are a bunch of wanks!" story.

Regardless... carry on.... because everyone loves a good dog pile... bull pile...or whatever.

Carry on and fish on...and feel free to test whatever ambiguity you feel exists at will. Just because something doesn't say you can't doesn't mean you can either.

My apologies if youre feeling singled out, FM. The intent of my comment wasnt to assassinate anyones character, i just wanted to throw my two cents in on the issue. Perhaps I jumped in at the wrong time and crossed the line. A dogpile isnt fair or fun for anyone.

I'd LOVE to see a single conviction for someone who claimed a fish on their kids license when the DFO thought the kid played no role. If it's every happened that is....

I take my 5 year old out and he helps reel in a bit but gets tired quick reeling in with those old alvey's :)
I let him do the bonking and moving it to the well.

If he touches the rod at all it goes on his license and we take turns.

I'd venture that virtually all the moms and dads taking their kids out fishing are doing it for the right reasons and all the hand wringing in the world or ******** hypothetical scenarios aren't having an effect on any stocks.

To answer the question of the thread...

So long as DFO and govt elicit licences and Salmon tags to anyone under 16, then any age under 16 goes!

Like many people on here, I also enjoy reading reasons for decisions by provincial and Federal court judges on many topics. I follow this up with asking questions of lawyers I know, and listen to their explanations. I have a lot of respect for professional expertise, and I would never consider my ability to read judgements to be sufficient to form an opinion. But based on what's been explained to me by people with experience defending cases in front of judges, your point is the key.
There are no caveats or regulations attached to purchasing salmon tags. I would wager that there is not a single case where an attorney would conclude that the reason for judgement was based on a childs catch limit.
If so, you would have an easy time appealing it. You can't be prosecuted for breaking an unwritten rule

I showed this thread to my 15 year old girl who's been fishing with me as long as she can remember. I asked for her thoughts on this matter.

She said it's okay for a little kid to put fish on their license. They're learning to fish and enjoy the experience, reeling it in themselves or not. They feel included in the activity which feels good.

I ve been bringing my boy out pretty much since birth. I think tug captain said it perfect in the original post. I have never felt bad about filling the fish on his license as he has a license with the tag and has endured all the ups and downs involved it takes to actually get to the point of hooking a salmon. We also gift out so much salmon to people we know who otherwise wouldn't get any salmon.

Tell that to the dfo who was going to write a ticket to me. Took my boy out walking for crabs he proceeded to point out crabs and carry the bucket the only thing he didn't do was measure and pick up. He even walked about a mile in chest waders. Got back to the beach and mr dfo was there ready to write a ticket, cause he was sitting there watching us through a high power spotting scope and observed him not physically touching a crab, and could distinguish between his and my crab. I happen to talk my way down to a warning.

my buddy and i took my 8yr old out for hali and he was so excited he was jumping all over the boat!- sat and ''spotted'' all the fish for us on the sounder explained to him why we had to let the oversize hali go and he totally understood and said that was the right thing to do ,great kid! was so proud when my buddy reeled up my my sons first hali my little guy was screaming lol !!!! have fun and take a kid fishing

Tell that to the dfo who was going to write a ticket to me. Took my boy out walking for crabs he proceeded to point out crabs and carry the bucket the only thing he didn't do was measure and pick up. He even walked about a mile in chest waders. Got back to the beach and mr dfo was there ready to write a ticket, cause he was sitting there watching us through a high power spotting scope and observed him not physically touching a crab, and could distinguish between his and my crab. I happen to talk my way down to a warning.

thinkin most cases ,the judge and i would be laughing at this moron at the end of the day
perhaps he should focus his efforts at places like belcarra , cates park ,jericho ....
sell his binos and buy some sun block , and a dozen new pens ,lol
i did the boundary bay crab thing back in the day , camped out in whiterock almost every wknd from may to august for several years
never had one problem , a definite one off for ya ST

seems like some here have way to much down time , to much thinkin goin on :)

sell your desks , buy a boat , take a kid fishing , its what its all about !!!!

im done here

fd

Back