How to fish old #6 McKnight spoons

Silverfoxx

I was just given some old salmon spoons which I have cleaned up. I am heading to the Rennel Sound area this summer off Haida Gwaii and was wondering how to fish these? Should they be fished by themselves or with some type of flasher?

Attachments

• IMG_20170515_1244371.jpg
    IMG_20170515_1244371.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 202
You can do both....but without is excellent....DEEP off the bottom ;) Hang on.... love 'em!

I was just given some old salmon spoons which I have cleaned up. I am heading to the Rennel Sound area this summer off Haida Gwaii and was wondering how to fish these? Should they be fished by themselves or with some type of flasher?
Fishing out of Rennel you shouldn't need to run flashers. I find these larger spoons have more than enough of their own action and if you can avoid running flashers the fight is so much better. Get out to Freeman Rocks and work the structure!

we fished out of rennell sound few years back in sept. run them naked, didn't seem to matter what you put on, fish ate anything over by shield island.

they are a fantastic spring spoon.
I,m 70 and commy trolled my whole life , my father also trolled his whole life.i remember as a kid going into Nikka,s first store , a old barber shop. And old Nikka gave my dad a couple of McNights to try out.
We fished Cape Cook glory hole and loaded the boat with springs that trip..
The 50/50 crome brass was a killer....
if you want to part with one or two , i would love to get one :)
3 fathoms , 60 lb test , big number 6-7 Blued hook , trolled fast to make it wobble....on the bottom.
our other fav was a #5 glendon stewart
we never fished spoons behind a flasher , thats a new thing that sporties are doing....
and effective... i,m doing it now , as a sportie but i still always put out a single spoon under or over a flasher.
make the single spoon longer than the flasher.
good luck... and sharp hooks...

We would change our hooks when the eye or tip got rust on it...usually every second day...
they are fairly cheap hooks with soft open eye. So dont be cheap, change the hooks regularly... All trollers had a jar or bucket to put the spoons into when you pull in gear at night.
We put a yellow chemical into about a quart of freshwater that kept spoons from tarnishing...i forget the name of the chemical but
Pacific Net/twine probably still have it.... reminds me to get a bottle , as its handy way to keep your spoons , in a glass jar with watertight lid,
in the solution. it sure saves having to continuely having to polish them.

The product you are referring to is Hydratone. yes PNT has it.
Yes , Hydrotone....my old brain =loss of recall at times..lol.
Polish your fav spoons and put in a sealed jar of fresh water and a couple caps of that product and you will have bright shiney spoons when you need one.
ooops , i forgot , i already said that ........:)

they are a fantastic spring spoon.
I,m 70 and commy trolled my whole life , my father also trolled his whole life.i remember as a kid going into Nikka,s first store , a old barber shop. And old Nikka gave my dad a couple of McNights to try out.
We fished Cape Cook glory hole and loaded the boat with springs that trip..
The 50/50 crome brass was a killer....
if you want to part with one or two , i would love to get one :)
3 fathoms , 60 lb test , big number 6-7 Blued hook , trolled fast to make it wobble....on the bottom.
our other fav was a #5 glendon stewart
we never fished spoons behind a flasher , thats a new thing that sporties are doing....
and effective... i,m doing it now , as a sportie but i still always put out a single spoon under or over a flasher.
make the single spoon longer than the flasher.
good luck... and sharp hooks...
If you send me your address I can send you one, you will have to clean some tarnish off it.

That spoon second from the top was a go to for a long time for me and my old man back in the day in Barkley sound. We hammered a lot of nice smilies on those. I still have a couple but they're in the box of retired gear from days of yore. Lol

We fished them on planers, no flasher, with a ridiculously long leader.

That spoon second from the top was a go to for a long time for me and my old man back in the day in Barkley sound. We hammered a lot of nice smilies on those. I still have a couple but they're in the box of retired gear from days of yore. Lol

We fished them on planers, no flasher, with a ridiculously long leader.

LJ Needlefish I think. They still work. Pal made one too, maybe the eel spoon.

Back