How do you prepare your Tuna

Great recipe Derby. I love the comfort food. Sounds like a good one for the day after a Bamfield trip :p:rolleyes:;).

like them all but REALLY like it raw wrapped in a sushi roll with spicy mayo and seaweed. also pan seared and then dipped into ponzo sauce (tuna tataki) mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I hear you wolf...The wife I love it that way. My 2 girls don't grove on the seared stuff...:(

Soaked loin in soya sauce, fresh garlic, fresh ginger and black pepper last evening. Seared it in the frying pan. After dinner the bit left got turned into sandwiches for lunches today..... So good :)

Back in my chef days, we used to make a salmon/tuna crispy roll,

- strip of raw salmon
- strip of raw tuna
- pickled ginger
- Wasbi Tobiko
- Perilla (sesame Leaves)
- avocado

Roll all the ingredients in a nori sheet.

Then dip the roll in tempura batter and deep fried for a minute.

Slice roll into 8pc and serve with wasibi and soy sauce or spicy mayo.

Another is tuna tartar with wonton crackers.

And finally throw peppercorns, sesame seeds, a few coriander seed and fennel seed in a coffee grinder. Then cover a rectangular piece of tuna in it, and pan sear on all sides for a minute or two on each side. Take it off the heat and cool for a minute, then slice across the grain. served with wasabi or spicy mayo and some and Ponzu glaze with some micro greens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried new one . Cheated ! Bought some spicy szechuan marinate & covered 1" tuna steaks with light coating . Let sit for 3 hours . Pan fried with a little rice oil . WoW !!!!!
If you like a little spice try this ! Does not get much easier or tastier from all I've tried so far !
Had to share this one !!!!
Slick

Just tried new one . Cheated ! Bought some spicy szechuan marinate & covered 1" tuna steaks with light coating . Let sit for 3 hours . Pan fried with a little rice oil . WoW !!!!!
If you like a little spice try this ! Does not get much easier or tastier from all I've tried so far !
Had to share this one !!!!
Slick

I'm all about the easy and I don't think szechuan was covered yet. Thanks for that one.

Tuna is a different to brine. For the most part because of the high fat content it needs to be brined longer. WAY LONGER.

Where did you get your fat content numbers from Birdsnest? From what I can tell most tuna has a very low fat content. Salmon has 5-6 times more fat. http://www.diffen.com/difference/Salmon_vs_Tuna
Not disagreeing with your long brine conclusion just on the reason it works. :)

Here's a raw recipe I've been making with Spanish mackerel but I think it would go well with albacore or even Pacific mackerel. If you're making it from fresh tuna you can even use a spoon to scrape out the meat between the bones after the fillets have been removed and really max your meat yield..

Mackemole:

Adapted from: http://tworedbowls.com/2013/06/17/ha...picy-ahi-poke/

It's a Hawaiian take on fish tartar / spicy tuna

Mackemole
1 lb Spanish mackerel (or tuna) filets with skin and dark meat removed
1-2 Avocadoes
about 1 tbsp soy sauce, to taste
about 1 tbsp sesame oil, to taste
2 scallions, chopped finely
2 tbsp mayonnaise or
1 tbsp Sriracha (or other hot) sauce (adjust depending on how spicy you like it)*
1/2 tbsp lemon juice

Cut mackerel and avocado into 1/4" cubes or whatever size you like to eat. Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a non metallic bowl and then fold in the mackerel and avocado. Chill in fridge for 30 mins and devour with chips, over rice or make handrolls with some dried seaweed, some sushi rice and the mackemole.

Where did you get your fat content numbers from Birdsnest? From what I can tell most tuna has a very low fat content. Salmon has 5-6 times more fat.http://www.diffen.com/difference/Salmon_vs_Tuna
Not disagreeing with your long brine conclusion just on the reason it works. :)

Ya. I hear what your saying but I think there are many questions about the article you posted. It does not state the species of the salmon or tuna so this alone raises questions as to what the fat contents are. These ratios vary greatly in both species so I feel it is important information that is left out.
In all honesty I assumed the fat content in tuna was higher than that of springs or socks for various reasons and observations and after searching it on the internet for a while I see conflicting information so now I'm not sure.

Effect of Seasonality, Location, and Size on Lipid Content in North Pacific Troll-Caught Albacore Tuna (Thunnus alalunga)

Rosalee S. Rasmussen, Michael T. Morrissey, Sean Carroll

Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology (Impact Factor: 0.74). 01/2006; 15:73-86. DOI:10.1300/J030v15n02_07
ABSTRACT Two hundred and thirty-nine albacore tuna (Thunnus alalunga) were troll-caught in the mid-Pacific Ocean and off the US Pacific Coast from June to November 2003. Catch location, harvest date, and sea surface temperature were recorded for individual fish, and lipid and moisture content in the white muscle were determined. The average weight of the alba-core was 6.07 kg and lipid content was highly variable (0.67–18.74%). There was an inverse correlation between the lipid and moisture content of albacore (R = 0.93), and percent lipid increased slightly in fish caught later on in the season (R = 0.24). Geographical Information Systems (GIS) software was used to determine correlations between lipid content and geographic location. Lipid content varied considerably among tuna caught at similar latitudes; however, most fish caught below 40°N had a lipid content of less than 10%, while the fish with the highest lipid content (13–19% lipid) were all harvested above 40°N.

http://www.researchgate.net/publica...Troll-Caught_Albacore_Tuna_(Thunnus_alalunga)
[less]

In speaking with a local processor I was informed that there is allot to grading the tuna and he did mention that the albacore caught off the canadian coast does have the highest fat content. Quite an interesting process indeed where quality of the fish is lost if not handled properly. The graders know there stuff and there is no cheating the system. If its not done right the tuna will be worth far less.
I have been into last years tuna and it is the best quality I have ever had. Firm and not flaky. My best yet and I believe it is from really making sure that my process is consistent and duplicated. It is certainly worth the effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
....speaking with a local processor I was informed that there is allot to grading the tuna and he did mention that the albacore caught off the canadian coast does have the highest fat content...

The ones I cleaned last year sure were greaseballs and I don't mean that in a bad way.

When you bleed them into buckets the blood has separate oil on the top. You sure have to make sure you clean everything well or it turns into yellow tar in a couple of days. No gaffing fish on my boat for this reason. I'm not self bailing and I do not want that oil building up in my bilge. After a day of fishing and cleaning tuna I put my clothes in a pail of degreaser then put them in the laundry with rags. Tuna is incredibly contaminating in number of different ways!

Back