What do I do with all these Tuna????

And you can get rid of more of your Tuna with bagel and cream cheese lox sandwiches too. So good! I make my own home made chedder, chive, herb, everything bagels for these. Fresh out of the oven OMG!

View attachment 47963

View attachment 47964

View attachment 47965

View attachment 47966

View attachment 47967

View attachment 47968
Totally amazing. Your talent blows my mind. I thought I was a decent cook but you are at a completely different level. I'm humbled.

Totally amazing. Your talent blows my mind. I thought I was a decent cook but you are at a completely different level. I'm humbled.
Thanks Brian :) I spend a lot of my free time playing around in the kitchen, searching the net watching vids and reading about cooking styles/recipes from different countries etc. Love it!

Almost forgot the sushi/sashimi to help you dwindle down your Tuna supply. Instead of spending the big bucks at the restaurants for good sushi/sashimi I make all my own. Sushi, sashimi, rolls, cones, tempura, etc So delicious fresh from the sea or even nice and frozen/vac packed ahead of time. Our Albacore Tuna we get here in BC makes incredibly good sushi/sashimi.

You can get the bamboo rolls, wasabi, sushi rice, and other supplies at most Asian type grocery stores etc. One important thing is to make sure you use sushi/sashimi grade soy sauce. It is sweeter and milder on the pallet than regular soy sauce. Regular soy is much stronger and saltier.

29178923_356594624842116_6915871183149727744_n.jpg

29541901_360502381118007_8572015076489189477_n.jpg

20180430_160649.jpg

29244081_356594631508782_6755616328314257408_n.jpg

20180322_164525.jpg

28951810_353921681776077_7716145440597152085_n.jpg

28661287_353921708442741_1307226521911123196_n.jpg

28795109_353921601776085_5239090923518088335_n.jpg

20180322_164337.jpg

Almost forgot the sushi/sashimi to help you dwindle down your Tuna supply. Instead of spending the big bucks at the restaurants for good sushi/sashimi I make all my own. Sushi, sashimi, rolls, cones, tempura, etc So delicious fresh from the sea or even nice and frozen/vac packed ahead of time. Our Albacore Tuna we get here in BC makes incredibly good sushi/sashimi.

You can get the bamboo rolls, wasabi, sushi rice, and other supplies at most Asian type grocery stores etc. One important thing is to make sure you use sushi/sashimi grade soy sauce. It is sweeter and milder on the pallet than regular soy sauce. Regular soy is much stronger and saltier.

View attachment 47983

View attachment 47985

View attachment 47987

View attachment 47989

View attachment 47990

View attachment 47991

View attachment 47993

View attachment 47995

View attachment 47999

Damn. That looks out of this world.

I usually keep my canned fish quite simple just fish and a little salt but I decided to try and replicate your greatness.
View attachment 48001
Right on! One tip, I know you already made that batch but on my subsequent batches after my first one I ended up putting those added ingredients on the bottoms of my jars instead of the tops. Same now when I do canned stewed tomatoes etc.. What happens is the ingredients when added on the bottom actually boil with the fish juice/oil and mix in much better with the fish flavors. When I added them on the top the added ingredients add less flavor to the canned fish/foods.

Right on! One tip, I know you already made that batch but on my subsequent batches after my first one I ended up putting those added ingredients on the bottoms of my jars instead of the tops. Same now when I do canned stewed tomatoes etc.. What happens is the ingredients when added on the bottom actually boil with the fish juice/oil and mix in much better with the fish flavors. When I added them on the top the added ingredients add less flavor to the canned fish/foods.
Interesting. I haven't tried the one with the lemon and jalapeno yet but I did try a can with salt and a little olive oil. It was excellent but I think we will prefer the batch without the added oil. I normally use canned salmon for sandwiches or lettuce wraps. Either way it gets mixed in a bowl with mayo, onions, pickles, and some other spices depending on my mood that day. I would imagine that those flavors should get mixed through once I stir it up. At least I hope so.

Interesting. I haven't tried the one with the lemon and jalapeno yet but I did try a can with salt and a little olive oil. It was excellent but I think we will prefer the batch without the added oil. I normally use canned salmon for sandwiches or lettuce wraps. Either way it gets mixed in a bowl with mayo, onions, pickles, and some other spices depending on my mood that day. I would imagine that those flavors should get mixed through once I stir it up. At least I hope so.

Yup same here. I use it mostly for sandwiches. I've never added oil to my Tuna. I don't think there's any need to.

You reminded me of another dish I use both salmon and tuna for that you may want to use up some of your tuna on.

It's like a Tuna pot pie and you can be creative with ingredients, adding whatever you want to it. My daughters loves them. Made with puff pastry dough that you can get in rolls from supermarkets usually in the frozen foods section.
Nice Winter comfort food
1f642.png
Marinated the red and marbled Spring (I've used Tuna as well and is delicious) for 4 hrs (picks up a lot of flavor in not too long of a marinade time) in some Asian flavors..Hoisin sauce, garlic, olive oil, ginger, basil, cilantro and sage. Then poached it (took it out just before done) in water, white wine, lemon and citrus spices. Mashed some nugget potatoes & sweet potatoes with some fresh dill, sea salt , cracked black pepper, butter and creme fresh. Then broke the salmon up into pieces and mixed with the mashed potato mixture. Covered the inside of ramekins with puff pastry dough, filled with the salmon/potato mixture then covered the top with puff pastry dough. Then egg washed the dough and into 380F oven for about 25 min. Make sure you cut slits on the top of the dough before going in the oven so the heat/steam has a way to escape or the pastry dough will rise way up and crack in spots you don't want it to.

FishPotPieIngredients.jpg

SalmonMarinating.jpg

PoachingSalmon.jpg

DoughRamikins.jpg

DoughRamikins2.jpg

DoughRamikins3.jpg

DoughCovering.jpg

PotPiesDone.jpg

SalmonPotPie.jpg

I wonder how much of this tuna ends up freezer burnt at the bottom of the freezer 8 months later?

Everyone will say they eat every single one, give it away, feed their family, etc... But we all know nobody needs or can use as much tuna as you guys are bonking.

Very reminiscent of the old chinook days when the limit was 10/day. Plus you'd bonk a few giant lingcod and bury them in the tomato garden for fertilizer.

I wonder how much of this tuna ends up freezer burnt at the bottom of the freezer 8 months later?

Everyone will say they eat every single one, give it away, feed their family, etc... But we all know nobody needs or can use as much tuna as you guys are bonking.

Very reminiscent of the old chinook days when the limit was 10/day. Plus you'd bonk a few giant lingcod and bury them in the tomato garden for fertilizer.

I can only speak for myself and the answer is zero. Our friends and family get well looked after.

None.

That's plain good old fashioned jealousy-go ahead keep embarrassing yourself.

10 a day?

Was that back in the 1890's? :rolleyes:

FYI-the key is to act like a Boy Scout and Be Prepared- ice, cash & elbow grease go a long way to eliminating waste as illustrated by the fabulous preparation ideas posted here.

A few modest ideas hatched here in Kits

IMGP0035.jpg

IMGP0041.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Well this certainly killed a great cooking/food prep thread. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'd ask a question, prior to this year how many Springs did you bonk in a year? I went tuna fishing once and we came in with a couple dozen split between 4 of us; my share was used in 4-5 months and was wishing we had more! We eat fish 3-5 times a week so nothing was wasted or freezer burnt and had we caught more it would have been easily utilized very handily within our household.

If you used to bonk lingers for fertilizer I would say you'd be nuts as I will take ling cod and fresh black rockies over anything as far as table fare goes. I'd bury a halibut in the garden before ever burying a ling.......or tuna for that matter.

Tuna catches have gone from no limit to 20 per day per license; it's great table fare and if I could bonk 20 on a once a year trip I have no issues with that (nor feel guilty) and none of it will be going into the compost.

Making judgment from behind a keyboard is kinda lame. Can you scan your license retention and share with us?

Vacu pac and freeze the loins.
Cut into 2" thick steaks, wrap in bacon (like a fillet), season with salt and pepper, brush with olive oil.
From room temperature cook 3 minutes per side on a smokin hot BBQ.
Squeeze on fresh lime juice and serve.
Chop up leftovers including the bacon, add chopped jalapenos and onions for tuna salad the next day.
You will never can another tuna.
That's like grinding prime rib to make hamburger helper.
IMHO

Sometimes you just got to can if you have too much and know you are not going to eat the freezer pack stuff withen a year.

I’m canning chinook this year for that reason.

Plus tun/salmon sandwich are awesome

Vacu pac and freeze the loins.
Cut into 2" thick steaks, wrap in bacon (like a fillet), season with salt and pepper, brush with olive oil.
From room temperature cook 3 minutes per side on a smokin hot BBQ.
Squeeze on fresh lime juice and serve.
Chop up leftovers including the bacon, add chopped jalapenos and onions for tuna salad the next day.
You will never can another tuna.
That's like grinding prime rib to make hamburger helper.
IMHO
That sounds delicious. I'll try it this weekend.

Back