How do you prepare your Tuna

I've done a few different things with my tuna. I've smoked some using the same brine I use for my salmon:
1 C brown sugar
1/4 C non-iodized salt
2 C soy sauce
1 C water
1 C white wine
4 cloves garlic - chopped
1/4 small yellow onion finely diced
1 tsp chopped ginger
I usually smoke with applewood and do the tuna with a hot smoke (around 160F). The tuna salad from smoked tuna is the best ever.

To sear it, I take a loin and rub it liberally with olive oil. Then I season it with salt and pepper and coat the entire loin with fine ground ginger (not a powder but ground ginger root - I buy it in a jar at the grocery store). I sear that in a hot frying pan or on the grill and slice into medallions. Serve it with a little rice, soy and nori and it's awesome.

The other thing I've done it to make it into tuna jerky. I slice it into 1/4" thick pieces in the long direction of the loin. Brine in the same brine as above and put it in the smoker at about 220F until it's fairly dry but still moist enough to be flexible. It's great this way.

That looks awesome 'Nog. I think I'll alter my salmon process a wee bit based on what I read there. Good stuff!!

I just picked up 165 cans from St. Jeans Cannery. I was also just in Tofino this weekend and picked up a great seafood recipe book in one of the many gift shops there, that has 9 pages of recipes just for tuna. Lot's of casseroles but some other good stuff as well.

Here is a link to the book for what it is worth.

http://www.amazon.com/Coast-Seafood-Recipes-Blaine-Freer/dp/1571880461

Cheers,
John
Thanks for the link.... :) Just bought a used copy for 1 cent and $3.99 shipping from Amazon.

Gonna keep it nice and simple tonight.
Steaks cut about 1" thick.
Marinading in teriyaki
Thick sliced maple bacon par cooked
1 piece of bacon wrapped around sides of each steak.
Broiled for a couple minutes
Add sesame seeds.

With rice and choice of fresh veggie!

An old favorite that seems to please all.

Gonna keep it nice and simple tonight.
Steaks cut about 1" thick.
Marinading in teriyaki
Thick sliced maple bacon par cooked
1 piece of bacon wrapped around sides of each steak.
Broiled for a couple minutes
Add sesame seeds.

With rice and choice of fresh veggie!

An old favorite that seems to please all.

Sounds good Jeff. Everything goes better with bacon:cool:. I'll try that one soon :).

Just got a bunch of my tuna back from St.Jeans...wow does the canned smoked Tuna & the indian candy tuna really rocks...... :)

Super yummy...... http://www.bctuna.com/tuna-recipes.htm

Seared Tuna Recipe

1 Albacore tuna loin, cut in two
2 T canola oil
3 T soy sauce
2 T Dijon mustard
½ cup white wine
2 T unsalted butter
1 T chili oil optional
White pepper to taste

Sprinkle loins with soy sauce. Add white pepper. Baste with canola oil. Olive oil may burn so canola oil is better for this recipe. Sear the outside of the tuna on all sides in a very hot frying pan. Set aside.
Add the white wine to the drippings and reduce slightly. Add Dijon mustard and reduce until the sauce thickens. Add the butter, reduce heat and melt into the sauce. Drizzle the sauce onto a platter or individual plates, and add sliced seared tuna on top. Dot plates with chili oil if desired.

A popular variation of seared tuna is Barbecued Tuna Recipe:

Mix together barbecue spices of your choice, which may include chili powder, cayenne, mustard, soy sauce, hot sauce and cumin or commercially available mixes. Add a little flour to help spice mix adhere. Sprinkle tuna loin with spice mixture. Baste with canola oil and sear on each side on a very hot grill. This can be done to suit taste but ideally the tuna shouldn’t need more than 2-3 minutes a side.

Heres one that ive had in my recipe book for awhile.

Soak tuna in your choice of Soya Sauce for 5 minutes
Cover in sesame seeds, peppercorns, sea salt and granulated garlic. use as much or as little as youd like.
Sear in vegetable oil till desired consistency.

I cant get enough of this fresh tuna...well frozen now but the albie is amazing, best I have had.
I like just straight sashimi and I take the fatty belly and parts of the loin that aren't conducive to crudo and mix with Japanese sushi mayo and green onions for negitoro rolls
we also make spicy tuna of the rest with an asian chili sauce...never fails to impress people we have over.

My buddies recipe I'm going to give it a try on the weekend.... :)

roll tuna loin in sesame seeds. Crack some sea salt on top
grate 4 tbs ginger
grate 4 tbs garlic
warm a decent fry pan
put 4 tbs sesame oil, ginger garlic in fry pan
gently stir. don't burn oil shouldn't smoke
remove mixture and set aside
re-heat fry pan to hot
add 1tbs cooking oil
place the tuna in pan and sear all sides until cooked to your liking
slice the tuna into 1cm slices
drizzle the garlic ginger sesame oil onto the tuna

Good one derby. I am going to try that one.

I prefer to sear my tuna in sesame oil when doing anything asian style. I saw Gordon Ramsay role the loin in soy sauce with wasabi(fair amount) mixed in in then rolled in seeds then seared.. I really like that method as well. I am going to experiment with coconut oil and curry some time soon but I need to get some high end currie for this.

A really quick and easy one I tried the other night is just cut the loin into steaks, sprinkle some Clubhouse Greek seasoning on them, pan fry them to how you like them, and serve with some fresh tzatziki sauce and homemade greek salad. Fast, easy, and good!

Here's a gooder...a little work but its worth it.

INGREDIENTS:

1 large yellow onion
1 large yellow summer squash
1 red pepper, seeded
1 green pepper, seeded
2 ribs celery
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups crushed plum tomatoes
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 cups white rice
2 pounds fresh tuna, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick steaks
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground lack pepper

Preparation

Roughly chop the onion, squash, peppers, and celery. Pulse in a food processor to mince. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the minced vegetables, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the cayenne. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft and the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, Worcestershire, and hot sauce. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, prepare the rice according to the package directions. Season both sides of the tuna with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the black pepper. Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet and sear the tuna on both sides, working in batches if necessary, until the flesh is just pink in the center, about 6 minutes total. Arrange the tuna over the rice and cover with the Creole vegetable sauce.

The best way I've cooked it is to dip it in soya then coat with sesame seeds & sear it for 1 minute per side on HIGH & eat it with wasabi on the side.

I know Albie is good as sashimi-just had some white Bonito loins with soy and wasabi and I have to say-every bit as good!!!!

Tuna, Cheese, and Rice Casserole
This cheesy and delicious tuna and rice bake is the answer to mealtime blahs, and the whole family will be happy.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients:
• 1/4 cup minced onion
• 1/4 cup chopped celery
• 6 tablespoons butter, divided
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 2 cups milk
• 8 ounces shredded Sharp cheddar cheese
• 2 can (7 ounces) tuna, drained and flaked
• 1 cup cooked frozen or canned peas, drained
• 4 cups hot cooked rice
• 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
Preparation:
In a skillet over medium-low heat, cook onion and celery in the butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, pepper, and dry mustard. Continue cooking, stirring, until smooth and just bubbly. Add Worcestershire sauce and gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Add about half of the cheese to the sauce mixture; stir until melted. Add flaked tuna and peas. Spoon half of the hot rice into a shallow 2-quart baking dish and spread about half of the remaining cheese over the rice; top with half of hot mixture, then repeat layers. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over the top. Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 20 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
Serves 4 to 6.

Did this one tonight... there was no left overs...:)

Back