Honda is crapping out

brutus

I guess outboard crap out too, anyway for the more mechanicallly incline then me here is my issue, engine fires up runs fine at idle and on ear muff at camp, rev up to 4000rpm no issues, as soon as it’s under load pushing the boat, gets up on plane and then bucks and bucks then solid alarm goes on, shut is off no alarm runs fines at idle, get up on plane again does the same, any idea what it could be ???? Anybody, trying to salvage my next 3 days at camp

Long shot but my old Merc did this after running wide open and found a piece of carbon stuck in electrode gap in a spark plug. Removed it and ran like a top.

I did the thermostat 2 years ago, did not look into it tonight, water passage seem fine, not overheating, spark plugs I did not pull them all, just pulled 2 on one side and seam fine, like I said only happens under load, at camp on muffs everything seams to run fine, no hesitation no bucking just revs right up, low rpm or high does not skip a beat, just when under load

Either fuel system restriction or ignition system is weak. Both manifest under load. Restricted fuel flow during high load demands causes fuel starvation, engine power is reduced.
Weak ignition gets worse as load increases, which results in higher combustion chamber pressures which are more difficult for a spark to jump through.
70% likely a fuel system restriction

My dad's Honda run into a similar issue he replaced the injectors and it fixed the issue. I've heard you can toss them into an ultrasonic cleaner overnight.

I had the same symptoms with my bf225. When the alarm went off the green light on the dash also went out. This indicates a low oil pressure warning. Check the oil level. If it’s good hopefully it’s not the same as mine. On mine the camshaft thrust bushing failed. Apparently it’s a problem that Honda knows about

I had the same symptoms with my bf225. When the alarm went off the green light on the dash also went out. This indicates a low oil pressure warning. Check the oil level. If it’s good hopefully it’s not the same as mine. On mine the camshaft thrust bushing failed. Apparently it’s a problem that Honda knows about
At camp run it at 2000 rpm for a few minutes..it should trigger the alarm. It won’t trigger it at low rpm’s

Yes it is and a major you have to pull the power head completely off to access it. I believe you can tell if the bearing is gone by checking the fly wheel for up and down movement. Don't quote me on that just what I remember. The green light on his boat turned out to be water in the fuel new filter and good to go. The old filter was only a year old with maybe 30 hours on it.

Lots of good information on the Honda Forum.

Good luck hopefully it's not a major

Oil is good, no overheating,I pulled the alarm codes, and will check the lights on the panel today, what is a red light for me, is it ran fine the last two days, then I put fuel in it and boom this, but both my motor are on the same tank and kicker runs fine

At camp run it at 2000 rpm for a few minutes..it should trigger the alarm. It won’t trigger it at low rpm’s
No alarm at camp at any Rpm, all the way to 4000rpm, ran it for an hr without nothing, then out in the bay under load alarm goes off within a minute, if I stay at low rpm under 2500 it won’t trigger any alarm and runs like a champ

No alarm at camp at any Rpm, all the way to 4000rpm, ran it for an hr without nothing, then out in the bay under load alarm goes off within a minute, if I stay at low rpm under 2500 it won’t trigger any alarm and runs like a champ
Did the green light stay on when the alarm went off?

I had similar symptoms when I sucked some guck into my Mercury at low tide McDonald ramp once. It did not over heat because the alarm wouldn't let it. Tried to figure it out for a week and couldn't. Fuel, plugs, injectors, fuel pump didn't seem to be the problem. I pulled the thermostat and shot the hose in the hole then ran it in a barrel of salt away solution for several hours. Problem solved.

Back