Homemade Bacon, Polish Kielbasa, German Bratwurst, And Pastrami

**** guess i should have posted on here before as i had a nice globe slicer 10 inch as I upgraded to a 12 inch hobart it kinda fell on my lap as I was told it didnt run so took a chance at the 50 buck price, all that was wrong was a broken wire new wire and plug and shes a beauty....already sliced about 1500 lbs of hams and salami,and BACON, have to slice 100 lbs today looks like this. was one of my best buys ever....

1614527138313.png

**** guess i should have posted on here before as i had a nice globe slicer 10 inch as I upgraded to a 12 inch hobart it kinda fell on my lap as I was told it didnt run so took a chance at the 50 buck price, all that was wrong was a broken wire new wire and plug and shes a beauty....already sliced about 1500 lbs of hams and salami,and BACON, have to slice 100 lbs today looks like this. was one of my best buys ever....

View attachment 62419
What do you want for it ? 51 bucks ? :p

You guys are making some really nice looking product! I have been making buck/cottage bacon as it is nearly impossible to find good quality pork sides where I live. I am happy with the shoulder bacon and mine have been coming out pretty nice. I dont use/like preservatives just 2.5% salt by weight and 5% brown sugar rubbed and then brined for a week. However doing it this way is rather laborious due to weighing and I was wondering if you guys use a brine soak in buckets or ?. I would like to try another way to cut down on the weighing with my jewelers scale for 2lb shoulder cuts! thanks

You guys are making some really nice looking product! I have been making buck/cottage bacon as it is nearly impossible to find good quality pork sides where I live. I am happy with the shoulder bacon and mine have been coming out pretty nice. I dont use/like preservatives just 2.5% salt by weight and 5% brown sugar rubbed and then brined for a week. However doing it this way is rather laborious due to weighing and I was wondering if you guys use a brine soak in buckets or ?. I would like to try another way to cut down on the weighing with my jewelers scale for 2lb shoulder cuts! thanks

With out the cure you are making salted pork then. I would not be concerned about the cure.

As for a wet brine, you could do that and inject it into the meat. Just add the weight of the water to the weight of the meat when you calculate the amount of salt & sugar. If you dont inject it I dont think the wet brine will speed anything up. You will still need to wait for the brine to come to an equilibrium with the meat.

With out the cure you are making salted pork then. I would not be concerned about the cure.

As for a wet brine, you could do that and inject it into the meat. Just add the weight of the water to the weight of the meat when you calculate the amount of salt & sugar. If you dont inject it I dont think the wet brine will speed anything up. You will still need to wait for the brine to come to an equilibrium with the meat.
ok thx. I will just stick to dry brine in the bags. My bacon and ham/cottage bacon tastes as good as cured but it dosent turn red or crisp up due to the lack of nitrates. For some reason they dont agree with me.

ok thx. I will just stick to dry brine in the bags. My bacon and ham/cottage bacon tastes as good as cured but it dosent turn red or crisp up due to the lack of nitrates. For some reason they dont agree with me.
That's good to know. I didn't know if the cure also changed the taste. I personally think that dry brine is the best way to do it. I find it to be such a nicer product.

That's good to know. I didn't know if the cure also changed the taste. I personally think that dry brine is the best way to do it. I find it to be such a nicer product.

it dosent change the taste...just the color and the super crispy part. But personally I dont like bacon crisped so it is stiff. Most of europe banned preservatives in charcuterie 10 yrs ago. We have refrigerators nowadays. procuitto and jamon serrano are salt cured.

The Pastrami turned out delicious and perfectly tender while still holding its form. Pulled it from the smoker at 208f. Wasnt quite butter tender at 205. Left it wrapped and in a cooler overnight then ate some fried up with some eggs for breakfast then made some delicious Reubens for supper with some homemade cauliflower roasted garlic soup and homemade pickled asparagus on the side. Reubens had Swiss cheese, steamed pastrami, homemade Russian sauce and homemade coleslaw and my homemade picked red onion mix.

View attachment 60810

View attachment 60811

View attachment 60812

View attachment 60813

View attachment 60814

View attachment 60815

View attachment 60816

View attachment 60817View attachment 60818

View attachment 60819
Drool

25lbs of Ham/garlic sausage. This never last long. I trade a friend who home brews a wicked IPA.

Attachments

• 20210305_210333.jpg
    20210305_210333.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210306_154543.jpg
    20210306_154543.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210306_154455.jpg
    20210306_154455.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 16
When you guys make a big batch of pastrami and corned beef and are freezing a bunch of it , do you cook it 1st, or freeze it after it finishes the brine process. I have both on the go and will be ready for St. Paddy's day.

When you guys make a big batch of pastrami and corned beef and are freezing a bunch of it , do you cook it 1st, or freeze it after it finishes the brine process. I have both on the go and will be ready for St. Paddy's day.
I had good luck freezing it after brining

@Chasin' Dreams I'm just ready to put my first go at pastrami into the smoker today, I see what temps you use for the meat but what temp is typically on your smoker? and how long is it usually in the smoker to get to the 205-208 degrees f? and........what wood chips do you use for the pastrami, I am planning on apple but also have cherry, hickory, mesquite, lol.

I see what temps you use for the meat but what temp is typically on your smoker? and how long is it usually in the smoker to get to the 205-208 degrees f? and........what wood chips do you use for the pastrami, I am planning on apple but also have cherry, hickory, mesquite, lol.
that is WAY to hot you dont want your smoker going past 160 or fat will melt low and slow wins the race when heating then smoking

that is WAY to hot you dont want your smoker going past 160 or fat will melt low and slow wins the race when heating then smoking
@wolf those temps were for the eventual inside the pastrami temps not the smoker itself, his looked like it turned out pretty well. what internal meat temp do you end up with when you are done smoking? mines been in the smoker for about 3 plus hrs and center of meat is at about 140 f smoker (a bradley) is around 170 now but took 3 hrs to get there, going fairly slow, I'm in no rush, lol. any advice is much appreciated.

@Chasin' Dreams I'm just ready to put my first go at pastrami into the smoker today, I see what temps you use for the meat but what temp is typically on your smoker? and how long is it usually in the smoker to get to the 205-208 degrees f? and........what wood chips do you use for the pastrami, I am planning on apple but also have cherry, hickory, mesquite, lol.
Brisket is not like smoking sausage. And the smoking temps and meat temps don't go by those rules..
I've smoked a **** tonne of briskets and you can tell by how mine turns out I've got it very well dialed in from doing a lot of them and playing with brines/flavors etc too. Pastrami's and Montreal smoked meat briskets etc..

Yes you want your internal temp of a pastrami (brisket) to get past the stall and get very tender where you can insert a toothpick or probe and have no resistance when pulling it out. Like butter. That internal temp of butter probe will usually end up being between 204 and 210 but it will depend on your cut of meat so you should start probing around 203 degrees.

If you smoked a brisket and pulled it off at 160 it would be tough like leather and dense and horrible. Tons and tons of videos you can watch to see the techniques on youtube. To quicken the process to get past the stall phase (which can last a long time and is usually when the internal meat temp is between 155 to 165 approx) you can wrap the brisket pastrami etc in butcher paper or tin foil for that phase to get the internal temp to break through the stall phase. I like butcher paper as I find it gives a nice moist, tender, yet still nice texture meat. Gotta be careful not to get the outside of the meat too dried out when doing so. For brisket my smoker is usually around 225 to 250 degrees. I've done them at all temps between those temps. I've used lot's of different woods to smoke them with. Maple, oak, apple, hickory are all nice for brisket in my opinion. Apple is the mildest of those ones.

Depending on the brisket you will be smoking that pastrami for approx 6 to 10 hrs depending on the heat you cook at and the technique you use to get past the stall.

Link to some more info on smoking pastrami: https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/smoked-cured-beef-pastrami

Link to a decent smoked brisket pastrami:

Last edited:
Back