Herring Fishery

talk about quick. Yeah that's what I am saying. Not the only only factor however it is a very obvious simple factor. When has it every worked out well catching your foods food. The narrative does need to change we need less dinosaurs that have already failed and to start looking out for the fish not just the opportunity to kill them or make a buck off them. As a sports fisherman the target is the most important thing if there aren't enough target obviously you don't take from what they are eating. The whats going to happen too poor old us narrative is tired, If sports fishing is going to be taken seriously we need to be the ones sounding the alarm not crying like little kids that we might loose out as salmon go extinct. The general public already see's alot of sports fishing as entitled white guys if we were to be more conservationist it would go along way to building trust with people that sports fisherman are stewards not just looking to kill eat and brag.

The straight of Georgia is plugged with springs.

I’m not buying the lack of food argument.

The straight of Georgia is plugged with springs.

I’m not buying the lack of food argument.

Chilliwack hatchery chinook have some of the highest survival rates on the coast period.

there is areas of this coast where commercial herring fishing has been closed for decades. They are not some panacea of salmon survive.

Last edited:
Chilliwack hatchery chinook have some of the highest survival rates on the coast period.

there is areas of this coast where commercial herring fishing has been closed for decades. They are not some panacea of salmon survive.
Salmon aren't thriving they are barely surviving maybe with the pressure off the small remnants of herring they may return elsewhere and bump up numbers. Herring have been so depleted that they may not appear to be the panacea today but they were. With herring and most schooling fish they follow abundance so the lack of abundance drives them to smaller areas as they follow each other. They have essentially been forced into a small area by over fishing everywhere and never allowed to build back to where they find new spawning grounds and spread back out along the coast.

The SSMSP doesn't comment on fisheries policy of any kind, really. Not the intent of the project.

I don't want to go around in circles with you on this and, as mentioned, herring are not the silver bullet leading to declining salmon populations. However, a takeaway of the research is that herring are quite important to both juvenille and adult chinook salmon in the SOG, especially resident herring that hang around all summer in the SOG. See Will's presentation below from just a few days ago explaining PSF's Adult Salmon Diet Program:

IMO, being more precautionary with the herring fishery is a lever we can pull in favour of salmon. Same with removing fish farms from the ocean. Neither is the silver bullet but they are things we can tip in favour of salmon NOW... unlike issues like warming waters, etc.
Well stated let’s deal with issues that we can quickly control as a start while working on the longer term issues. Should throw a seal and Sea lion haircut in there as well.

I have fished lakes where the the trout have big heads and very skinny bodies because of lack of food. I have never caught a salmon that looks like this.
Thats because a ling cod or other quicker moving animal will call it dinner.

Overall, marine survival over chinook and coho in the SOG is the main issue (bottleneck) that needs to be sorted. Yes, there are some examples of good survival rates here and there for certain years/populations but the overall trend is that these species in the SOG are dying at a higher rate NOW than they were a couple decades ago. This drop in survival rate in unique to the SOG (ie WCVI, Central Coast, etc are not seeing such a drop off) so if we can solve this issue in the SOG there will be a LOT more returning adult chinook and coho to SOG river systems. The fact that there are lots of chinook around the SOG at times is great but doesn't mean anything in terms of the survival rates of SOG salmon populations. We obviously have lots of US fish moving through at times and there are some decent returns of ECVI and some fraser stocks but the overall story is clear: SOG salmon survival rates have plummeted and have not rebounded.

And keeping with the thread, yes, herring may play a role in solving this problem. juvenille salmon and adult salmon feed on herring and if herring populations in the SOG return to historical diversity, etc this might be a great benefit to salmon.

Attachments

• Decline-of-Salish-Sea1 (2).jpg
    Decline-of-Salish-Sea1 (2).jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 10
And keeping with the thread, yes, herring may play a role in solving this problem. juvenille salmon and adult salmon feed on herring and if herring populations in the SOG return to historical diversity,

what number is historic diversity could you please provide??

1640202130990.png

Overall, marine survival over chinook and coho in the SOG is the main issue (bottleneck) that needs to be sorted. Yes, there are some examples of good survival rates here and there for certain years/populations but the overall trend is that these species in the SOG are dying at a higher rate NOW than they were a couple decades ago. This drop in survival rate in unique to the SOG (ie WCVI, Central Coast, etc are not seeing such a drop off) so if we can solve this issue in the SOG there will be a LOT more returning adult chinook and coho to SOG river systems. The fact that there are lots of chinook around the SOG at times is great but doesn't mean anything in terms of the survival rates of SOG salmon populations. We obviously have lots of US fish moving through at times and there are some decent returns of ECVI and some fraser stocks but the overall story is clear: SOG salmon survival rates have plummeted and have not rebounded.

And keeping with the thread, yes, herring may play a role in solving this problem. juvenille salmon and adult salmon feed on herring and if herring populations in the SOG return to historical diversity, etc this might be a great benefit to salmon.

what are your thoughts on this fishery?

Opens 12:00 hours November 1, 2021 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2021 to commercial fishing for Euphausiid, by plankton trawl gear, in the following Subareas:

Quota Management Area 16B:

15-1 to 15-3, 16-18 and portion of 16-11 westerly of a line from Ahistrom Pt. light 175 degrees true to a point on the shoreline of Nelson Island.

Variation Order No. 2021-594

Note: Closures will be implemented before December 31, 2021 if quotas are achieved.

Refer to 2018/2022 Euphausiid Integrated Fishery Management Plan and the 2018/2022 Commercial Harvest Plan, for the detailed fishing plan, closed area descriptions, and contact numbers for further informa¬tion.

Positional information is to be recorded in the validation and harvest logbook prior to or as the net is set by condition of licence.

Fishers are advised that the industry funded hail and dockside validation program initiated in 1997 will be in effect for the 2021 season, the details of this program are described in the commercial fishing plan. A Nil report must be submitted to the DFO Shellfish Data Unit for licence renewal even if no fishing had occurred.

Fishers are reminded the pre-licence application requirement will be continued for 2021. All licence applications for a Z-F category licence must be accompanied by a letter from the Krill Trawlers Association (KTA) or their designate, certifying that arrangements have been made with a DFO Observer or service bureau, to provide services required by the 2021 conditions of licence. Alternately, licence holders choosing a service bureau independent of the KTA will require a letter identifying the service bureau they have hired, and confirming that they can meet the 2021 conditions of licence through this arrangement.

Report suspicious activity or violations by email at DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca or by calling the 24-hour, toll-free Observe, Record, and Report line at 1-800-465-4336 or 604-607-4186 in greater Vancouver.

The 24-hour, toll-free information line for fishery notices regarding openings and closures is 1-866-431-3474 or 604-666-2828 in greater Vancouver.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Laurie Convey (250) 756-7233
Jenny Smith (236) 330-2963

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN1139
Sent October 29, 2021 at 0855

what number is historic diversity could you please provide??

View attachment 73234
Well, the biomass of herring during the coho heydays when I was a kid (late 70's-mid 80's) were actually about 50%-70% of what they are now. Yes, there are more herring now than back in that time period.
To my knowledge there was no plankton fishery in the SOG back in those days.
There was also kelp growing near every island, point of land and reef in the SOG. All the areas I used to fish there are NO kelpbeds now. It is a desert. Guess where the juvenile herring used to hang out, thats right, in the kelp beds.
The juvenile herring feed on plankton and used to hang out in kelp beds. Maybe those areas are the bottlenecks?

Last edited:
i'm not arguing that this is a not a positive for herring and the ecosystem. I'm just questioning the politics and if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I just know the response will get from DFO over this, we are closing fish farms, reducing herring fishing by 50%, restricting commercial salmon fishing,

why would we open up additional recreational fishing, why would we approve MSF putting additional pressure on stocks of concern when we are making cuts.

you can just ******* see how its all gonna all go down.

i'm not arguing that this is a not a positive for herring and the ecosystem. I'm just questioning the politics and if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I just know the response will get from DFO over this, we are closing fish farms, reducing herring fishing by 50%, restricting commercial salmon fishing,

why would we open up additional recreational fishing, why would we approve MSF putting additional pressure on stocks of concern when we are making cuts.

you can just ******* see how its all gonna all go down.

Well said

In a perfect world the reduction of catch would result in a corresponding increase in price. For the commercial guys I hope this is true! It would be great if less catch could still result in a decent income, win win. If not maybe it’s time to buy back more licenses, government has money for everything else.

In a perfect world the reduction of catch would result in a corresponding increase in price. For the commercial guys I hope this is true! It would be great if less catch could still result in a decent income, win win. If not maybe it’s time to buy back more licenses, government has money for everything else.

1.2 trillion in debt with a 60 million deficit forecast 2022 and 2023. This country doesn't have the money to buy back anything.

Last edited:
1.2 trillion in debt. This country doesn't have the money.
Well clearly the country will just print more lol. Once you it hit 1.2 trillion in dept whats the difference with the odd extra billion being added on. Kind of late to be worried about being fiscally responsible.

Well clearly the country will just print more lol. Once you it hit 1.2 trillion in dept whats the difference with the odd extra billion being added on. Kind of late to be worried about being fiscally responsible.

My point is taxpayers shouldn't have to pay out licenses from a country in serious debt. In this case the herring reduction isn't warranted. If the science says so sure. But it doesn't.

My point is taxpayers shouldn't have to pay out licenses from a country in serious debt. In this case the herring reduction isn't warranted. If the science says so sure. But it doesn't.
The government is shutting them down,it’s not like they are choosing to stay home. This is even worse if the government is shutting them down or reducing their catch, with no Science behind it, simply to satisfy some special interest groups. If anyone they have a legitimate *****.

Lots of that 1.2 trillion you quoted were for businesses shut down or cutback through no fault of their own. Too late to start selecting one business sector over another, particularly if the government was the sole cause of the predicament. Can’t blame this one on Covid.

Well stated let’s deal with issues that we can quickly control as a start while working on the longer term issues. Should throw a seal and Sea lion haircut in there as well.

The amount of herring the pinnipeds consume annually in the SOG is staggering in comparison to any & all fisheries.
Same can be said for all salmonids that wander into their jaws of death as well.
Time is well overdue to manage them as we should be.

Nog

Back