Herring Fishery

Hardy Guy

Wait for the price of bait to go sky high.
only double to u :)

Does this mean the Harvest rate on the East Coast of VI will be cut in half. And is so just what will the quota be compared to last year?
A step in the right direction as far as I am concerned!

Does this mean the Harvest rate on the East Coast of VI will be cut in half. And is so just what will the quota be compared to last year?
A step in the right direction as far as I am concerned!

For the Strait of Georgia, harvesting will be reduced to a 10% harvest rate, with a maximum total allowable catch of 7,850 tonnes.

If we as "Sports Fishermen" want the Herring fishery shut down, that should also include the Anchovy Fishery. Where is the big push from the recreational community to ban the use of Bait ? We cant have it both ways ?

CR Greg

When the herring fishery is closed (SOK open and closed pond included) and the harvest rate cut in half for no scientific reason (20 % is the CSAS approved rate) other than floods and low salmon returns (which have nothing to do with the herring harvest rate) its obvious what going to happen to the Rec fishery which directly impacts salmon. Watch what you wish for.

When the herring fishery is closed (SOK open and closed pond included) and the harvest rate cut in half for no scientific reason (20 % is the CSAS approved rate) other than floods and low salmon returns (which have nothing to do with the herring harvest rate) its obvious what going to happen to the Rec fishery which directly impacts salmon. Watch what you wish for.

minister is not afraid to restrict industry and does not care about downstream economic losses.

that’s how i view this change and while sure yes it’s a positive thing for the eco system it’s hard for me to view this as a positive management decision.

Last edited:
minister is not afraid to restrict industry and does not care about downstream economic losses.
Commie herring guys, why, because it looks like we are doing something
Next up ______________________________ because it looks like we are doing something

If we as "Sports Fishermen" want the Herring fishery shut down, that should also include the Anchovy Fishery. Where is the big push from the recreational community to ban the use of Bait ? We cant have it both ways ?

CR Greg
There is no anchovy fishery in BC for a starter ..thats a great idea lets put more restriction on the Public sport fishery.. next we will be fishing spoons with no hooks and saying I had 5 refusals today how about u?

100 percent agree.

And please take into account that the closures will have major social/economic impacts on fishermen and their families . And who was responsible ( if you need to pass blame ) for the overharvesting ? Fishermen ? Or the regulators who let stocks slide to the point that drastic measures are now needed. Merry Christmas---NOT.

I 100 % agree BA. The worst part is there is no mention in the Press Release that this management action has anything to do with herring stock status ......... it says low salmon returns, floods etc. This is not happening because of science showing the SOG herring fishery needs to be reduced. I think people could live with a herring reduction if there was a reason for it and it was recommended by science.

Back