Herring Fishery

no it’s math, if you cut 20% fishing out you get a 20% bump in the year cut but every year after that it’s based on natural recruitment. You don’t get 20% increase every of the following years.

that’s just looking at it in the most basic ways as well. Let alone in complex ecosystem of up and downs.

like the fact they don’t harvest Juvenile herring. They only harvest on the spawning biomas, they don’t harvest every spawn location, they were only harvesting in northern SOG ect ect ect

I could also care less if they get rid of the herring fishery or fish farms my life wouldn’t change in any way.

what concerns me if the reasoning and forces behind thoes changes and what it means for the management of all fisheries.

do you really think it’s a coincidence that the recreational prawn, chinook and other restrictions are all happening at the same time they are shutting down fish farms and herring fishery.

it’s all part of the same forces

Nailed it.

"what concerns me if the reasoning and forces behind those changes and what it means for the management of all fisheries"

Taken from Facebook.​

Note, 172,000 signatures.​

Conservancy Hornby Island

19h ·
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#
We want to send a huge THANK YOU to everyone who has supported CHI and our ongoing campaigns throughout the year. Despite the challenges that came with the pandemic, your support helped us continue working towards our goals.
Our virtual 5th annual HerringFest was a huge success with over 400 attendees and an all-star lineup of presenters including First Nations leaders, conservation scientists, environmental activists, and herring experts.
Together we have gotten over 172,000 signatures on our petition to place a moratorium on the BC herring fishery and we are finally seeing some progress in fisheries management from the Federal government.
This year comes to an end with a sense of hope for Pacific herring in the new year. Earlier this month, Fisheries Minister Joyce Murray announced the closure of most pacific herring fisheries on the west coast with the exception of harvests by First Nations for food and ceremonial purposes. The Strait of Georgia commercial fishery has been reduced from 20% to 10% of the predicted spawning biomass.
There is still work to be done to better manage the Pacific herring fishery and allow herring stocks to rebuild. We are encouraged by Honourable Joyce Murray's decision and are looking forward to working towards a Herring Recovery Plan in the new year.
If we learned one thing this year, it is that hard work does pay off. None of this would have been possible without the support from people like you.

All donations support Conservancy Hornby Island's Marine and Land Conservation Campaigns. Donate today at conservancyhornbyisland.org/donation and receive an instant charitable tax receipt.
Thank you so much for your continued support. See you in 2022!
photo

Taken from Facebook.​

Note, 172,000 signatures.​

Conservancy Hornby Island

19h ·
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#
We want to send a huge THANK YOU to everyone who has supported CHI and our ongoing campaigns throughout the year. Despite the challenges that came with the pandemic, your support helped us continue working towards our goals.
Our virtual 5th annual HerringFest was a huge success with over 400 attendees and an all-star lineup of presenters including First Nations leaders, conservation scientists, environmental activists, and herring experts.
Together we have gotten over 172,000 signatures on our petition to place a moratorium on the BC herring fishery and we are finally seeing some progress in fisheries management from the Federal government.
This year comes to an end with a sense of hope for Pacific herring in the new year. Earlier this month, Fisheries Minister Joyce Murray announced the closure of most pacific herring fisheries on the west coast with the exception of harvests by First Nations for food and ceremonial purposes. The Strait of Georgia commercial fishery has been reduced from 20% to 10% of the predicted spawning biomass.
There is still work to be done to better manage the Pacific herring fishery and allow herring stocks to rebuild. We are encouraged by Honourable Joyce Murray's decision and are looking forward to working towards a Herring Recovery Plan in the new year.
If we learned one thing this year, it is that hard work does pay off. None of this would have been possible without the support from people like you.
All donations support Conservancy Hornby Island's Marine and Land Conservation Campaigns. Donate today at conservancyhornbyisland.org/donation and receive an instant charitable tax receipt.
Thank you so much for your continued support. See you in 2022!
photo

1641057469126.png
1641057506407.png

From some old timers who I’ve talked to that have fished the northern SOG for for years, Vancouver to Campbell river fishing for chinook is better now then it was in the 1980s, 1990s and early 2000. It started to improve before any of the recent restrictions were in place. Some say fishings lfor chinook in this area is like what it was in the 1970s.

hard tho to have a real good comparison tho because some of the more recent successes may be related to changes in technology.

it’s not all doom and gloom tho for chinook stocks.

coho in the SOG tho is nothing like it was. Tho there are some sighs that it has been improving.

No one fished 200feet on the riggers back in the day either. I think its merely anecdotal and probably no real stats available.

must not be money in listing steelhead
I don't think that's the reason .. I believe most believe it's too late for these fish, especially after this seasons floods most likely killing the majority of overwintering parr. Listing IFS will not happen, and I believe that's the correct stance given the current circumstances for these unique fish.

I don't think that's the reason .. I believe most believe it's too late for these fish, especially after this seasons floods most likely killing the majority of overwintering parr. Listing IFS will not happen, and I believe that's the correct stance given the current circumstances for these unique fish.

I don't think people who sign big ENGO petitions are involved enough to come to that conclusion for steelhead.

I think they see the ENGO marketing material of a commercial boat with a net full of herring and they are told to sign to stop the over exploration of fishing in the ocean.

They see what the ENGOs want them to see and for some reason ENGOs don't think steelhead are a priority probably IMO because there's no money in it for them.

I don't think people who sign big ENGO petitions are involved enough to come to that conclusion for steelhead.

I think they see the ENGO marketing material of a commercial boat with a net full of herring and they are told to sign to stop the over exploration of fishing in the ocean.

They see what the ENGOs want them to see and for some reason ENGOs don't think steelhead are a priority probably IMO because there's no money in it for them.
It will be interesting to see where they stand on Chinook as they are in the same problem. This spring will be interesting as there are numerous runs of Chinook that should be listed.

To late you say! Well what about all the Steelhead on the Skeena? Listing is not supposed to be what is good for Man, but to save the species.
What has been shown through Steelhead in BC is, save them as long as it does not effect anything else.

Well what about all the Steelhead on the Skeena? Listing is not supposed to be what is good for Man, but to save the species.
What about them? I'm talking IFS and yes, it's too late to save them but let's hope lessons are learned from this for future battles to help protect Skeena steelhead. Key to this is not letting future steelhead populations get to the point where their survival depends on a SARA listing because by then, by simple economics, the next step is extirpation.

What about them? I'm talking IFS and yes, it's too late to save them but let's hope lessons are learned from this for future battles to help protect Skeena steelhead. Key to this is not letting future steelhead populations get to the point where their survival depends on a SARA listing because by then, by simple economics, the next step is extirpation.

The Skeena Steelhead are already at that point, yet there is no battle to save them other than a few dedicated people.

Chinook are in the same position in most of the province, yet the calls to save them is the same as for IFS.

Sad.

Last edited:
no it’s math, if you cut 20% fishing out you get a 20% bump in the year cut but every year after that it’s based on natural recruitment. You don’t get 20% increase every of the following years.

that’s just looking at it in the most basic ways as well. Let alone in complex ecosystem of up and downs.

like the fact they don’t harvest Juvenile herring. They only harvest on the spawning biomas, they don’t harvest every spawn location, they were only harvesting in northern SOG ect ect ect

I could also care less if they get rid of the herring fishery or fish farms my life wouldn’t change in any way.

what concerns me if the reasoning and forces behind thoes changes and what it means for the management of all fisheries.

do you really think it’s a coincidence that the recreational prawn, chinook and other restrictions are all happening at the same time they are shutting down fish farms and herring fishery.

it’s all part of the same forces
Herring can spawn up to 10 times and fishing for them in one of the only remaining spawning areas is not because of conservation its because they wont catch any in other locations. Calling fishing allocations best science is simply wrong, science is science exploitation rate is management to say "best science" says its ok is simply not true. Best science is when it leaves the scientists desk by the time it has traveled over many managers desks it is redacted and altered and no longer represents the best science. I don't think its a coincidence the restrictions coming out its a picture as to the fact that our ecosystem is deteriorating for all species and the decline of abundance of ling cod to chum and everything in between should be evident to sports fisherman more than most other folks.

one of the only remaining spawning areas

they spawn all over the coast, do you even know what you are talking about.

they document spawn in wcvi, ecvi,central island, SOG, hida every year

just because there is not a commercial fishery in other areas does not mean there is not herring spawn in them.

again what you are selling is simply not true.

Last edited:
West Coast Vancouver Island (WCVI) Herring Update #9

Spawn reconnaissance flights occurred on March 13 and 15. A spawn was observed in Spring Cove in Ucluelet. The spawn at Hesquiat Harbour was still active for approximately 1nm between Anton Spit and the Village, as well as the reef southwest of Hesquiat Point. The spawn at Whitesand Cove first observed on March 12 appeared to have spread east towards the submarine cable identified on CHS charts. Additionally a small spot spawn was observed on one of the outer Islands at Nuchatlitz.

The next spawn reconnaissance flight is scheduled for Thursday March 18th.

A dive team with the support vessel Seaveyor 1 will start surveying the spawn in Barkley Sound on March 17. Dive teams aboard the Pacheena #1 will begin surveying spawns between Hesquiat Harbour and Nuchatlitz on Thursday March 18. The location and timing of Herring spawn dive surveys may vary depending on weather conditions.

Area 23 Barkley Sound

The test vessel Proud Canadian has sounded an estimate of 5,725 tons in Area 23(Mar. 10).

TEST:Mar 10 pm on 150 tons at David Isl;8.7%;17.9cm;73m:59f;54-1-4-0-0;(16.0 gm:75.6 gm)

TEST:Mar 10 am on 400 tons 1.5 mi S. of Cabbage Rocks;9.7%;19.4cm;60m:58f;52-2-3-1-0;(18.5gm:84.0 gm)

TEST:Feb 22 am on 200 tons 0.5 mi E. Forbes Isl;2.8%;19.3cm;48m:65f;12-14-40-0-0;(24.2 gm:88.0 gm)

Herring spawns:

March 13 – 0.25 nm of spawn in Spring Cove in Ucluelet
March 12 – Spot spawn at Terrace Beach in Ucluelet
March 12 – 5 nm of spawn from Mussel Beach to the Stopper Islands in Macoah Passage including the shoreline of Forbes and David Isl.

Area 24 Clayoquot Sound

The test vessel Proud Canadian has sounded an estimate of 2,700 tons in Area 24 (Feb. 23-27, Mar. 9).

TEST:Mar. 9 am on 300 tons at Openit Penninsula;9.3%;18.6cm;53m:57f;50-1-6-7-1;(18.7gm:85.0gm)

TEST:Feb. 26 am on 300 tons .1 mi E of Openit Penninsula;9%;19.1cm;58m:52f;46-1-5-5-3;(19.5gm:85.3gm)

TEST:Feb. 25 am on 100 tons Openit Penninsula;1.0%;16.0cm;21m:33f;6-0-27-51-184;(11.7gm:34.6 gm)

TEST:Feb. 24 am on 300 tons 0.1 mi N.of Clifford Point;9.2%;19.1cm;59m:54f;42-2-10-0-0;(21.9 gm:88.0 gm)

Herring spawns:

March 15 – 1.0 nm of spawn in Hesquiat Harbour
March 12/13 – 2.5 nm of spawn at Whitesand Cove.
March 12 – 10nm of spawn observed in Hesquiat Harbour.
March 8 – 1.0 nm of spawn northeastward from Rondeault Pt. in Hesquiat Harbour.
March 1 – A spot spawn was observed in front of Ahousaht Village.
February 17 – A spot spawn was observed in Stewardson Inlet, no eggs found.
February 9 – Size unknown at Anton Spit, Hesquiat Harbour.

Area 25 Nootka Sound

The test vessel Proud Canadian has sounded an estimate of 10,000 tons in Nootka Sound (March 7)

TEST:Feb. 28 am on 150 tons 0.2 mi N. of Friendly Cove;0.2%;17.0cm;27m:37f;1-0-36-131-0(12.5gm:52.3gm)

TEST:Feb. 28 am on 200 tons 0.25 mi N. of San Miguel Isl;0.2%;17.8cm;34m:32f;1-0-3-123-31(8.3gm:53.2gm)

TEST:Feb. 27 pm on 500 tons 0.2 mi E. of San Rafael Isl;10.7%;20.3cm; 43m:51f;46-2-2-2-0(22.9gm:104.7gm)

Herring spawns:

March 10 – 2.5 nm from Beano Creek towards Maquinna Point.

Area 25 Esperanza Inlet

The test vessel Proud Canadian has sounded an estimate of 5,000 tons in Esperanza Inlet (March 5-6)

TEST:Mar. 6 pm on 500 tons at Rosa Harbour;11.2%;19.6cm;49m:56f;56-0-1-4-0(20.2gm:91.5gm)

TEST:Mar. 6 am on 500 tons at Flower Isl;8.5%;19.9cm;47m:60f;60-0-0-2-0(14.1gm:91.8gm)

Herring spawns:

March 13 – Spot spawn at outer Island west of Nuchatlitz
March 12 – 2.5 nm of spawn, Port Langford to the western shoreline of Nuchatlitz Penninsula.

First Nation contractors will conduct Herring spawn reconnaissance, supplemental surface spawn surveys and FSC catch monitoring on the west coast of Vancouver Island in Areas 23-25.

The estimated tonnage of Herring provided in this notice are in-season estimates only and do not reflect the total biomass of stocks in the area. Stock biomass estimates will be provided in the post-season period following the analysis of collected biological samples as well as herring spawn distribution and abundance data.

ROE TEST CODE: Date; Location; roe yield;fish size;males:females; #1-#2-#3-#spawned;juvenile’(roe weight:fish weight)

1641230635050.png
1641230660288.png
1641230702904.png

they spawn all over the coast, do you even know what you are talking about.

they document spawn in wcvi, ecvi,central island, SOG, hida every year

just because there is not a commercial fishery in other areas does not mean there is not herring spawn in them.

again what you are selling is simply not true.
No he does not.
Nice photo's.

Last edited:
Shots from the Coast March 10th; beautiful spawn in several areas. 2021

View attachment 73501
View attachment 73502
View attachment 73503
I think you will find all these photo's were taken from the French Creek - Qualicum area

Back