help with my electric over hydraulic brakes

sfisher

Hey does anyone know anyone who works on trailers with this braking system? Having some problems

Thanks

Whats the problem, we may be able to help you here
I just did a conversion and have some knowledge on them

Whats the problem, we may be able to help you here
I just did a conversion and have some knowledge on them

Hey guys, I've done a bunch of trouble shooting and just can't figure it out here is my problem.

After I apply the brakes a few times my trailer brakes lock up and I can hear my actuator make a buzzing noise and then I unplug my trailer and have no brakes.
It may have gotten wet not sure, but the inside of the actuator is dry and shows no sign of water.

Also my breakaway switch always seems to be under water when im launching and I'm not sure if corrosion in the switch would cause issues with the brakes ??

Any help with be appreciated

Thanks guys!

not quite understanding, maybe a little more info might help, disc or drum? type of tow vehicle, built in controller or aftermarket?
each time you apply the tow vehicle brakes you should hear the actuator buzz this means it is working. if its buzzing when the brakes are not applied
then it is being energized elsewhere and I would start by looking at the break away switch and battery, do you have a charge lead coming back from tow vehicle?
have you tried to disconnect and try it in the driveway?
the brakes locking up could also be an adjustment issue if they are drum, could also be leaking wheel cylinders and shoes may be oil soaked?
could be seizing calipers, rusty rotors if it has disc?
check the harness plug for corossion and trace the harness and make sure its not rubbed bare or pinched on the frame
where are you located if your local I can have a quick look for you

not quite understanding, maybe a little more info might help, disc or drum? type of tow vehicle, built in controller or aftermarket?
each time you apply the tow vehicle brakes you should hear the actuator buzz this means it is working. if its buzzing when the brakes are not applied
then it is being energized elsewhere and I would start by looking at the break away switch and battery, do you have a charge lead coming back from tow vehicle?
have you tried to disconnect and try it in the driveway?
the brakes locking up could also be an adjustment issue if they are drum, could also be leaking wheel cylinders and shoes may be oil soaked?
could be seizing calipers, rusty rotors if it has disc?
check the harness plug for corossion and trace the harness and make sure its not rubbed bare or pinched on the frame
where are you located if your local I can have a quick look for you

It's a titan system with disk..tow vehicle is ford with built-in controller.

That's what I'm thinking as it's being energized elsewhere because it locks up with the humming noise after I pump the brakes. My breakaway is so corroded from being submerged I have a feeling it has something to do with it.
Should the breakaway be getting submerged at all ?

Thanks for your help I appreciate it..,oh by the way I'm in Victoria

It's a titan system with disk..tow vehicle is ford with built-in controller.

That's what I'm thinking as it's being energized elsewhere because it locks up with the humming noise after I pump the brakes. My breakaway is so corroded from being submerged I have a feeling it has something to do with it.
Should the breakaway be getting submerged at all ?

Thanks for your help I appreciate it..,oh by the way I'm in Victoria

sfisher,
The breakaway pin is a plastic spacer that energizes the pump on the actuator when the pin is removed. I doubt that is your problem. I would have someone pump the brakes on the truck and check the seven pin connector on the truck to see if the power to the actuator is working properly. Does it turn off after the brake pedal is released? If everything checks out on the truck I would call Titan and talk with their technical guy. He is very good and could probably tell you what is wrong.
Don

Sfisher, the breakaway only has two purposes:
1) brakes are locked up in case of breakaway
2) they aren't locked up

You should really avoid getting your breakaway wet as contacts could corrode together and your brakes will be locked up, however your issue doesn't sound like it's the breakaway.

You probably should try your breakaway while to boat is hooked up to see if it still works

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you take a photo of how your system is installed? On the titan system, the breakaway switch is a normally closed switch that is held open by the plastic pin. Corrosion could result in a closed circuit but if that was the case, I'd expect it to be closed all the time and thus the brakes would be locked up all the time. Still none of the parts for the electric over hydrauling brake control system should be mounted in a location that they wind up submerged during a launch. Can you re-mount the parts either further up the on the tongue?

Thanks for all the help guys! Awesome to see.
I have contacted titan and they are sending me test info on what to trouble shoot.
I am going to replace my breakaway switch and re mount it so it does not get submerged. Also have tried my breakaway nothing happens its definitely toast.
If that is not the problem im truly stumped.

Thanks again everyone I appreciate it this!

Thanks for all the help guys! Awesome to see.
I have contacted titan and they are sending me test info on what to trouble shoot.
I am going to replace my breakaway switch and re mount it so it does not get submerged. Also have tried my breakaway nothing happens its definitely toast.
If that is not the problem im truly stumped.

Thanks again everyone I appreciate it this!

Have you taken the from panel off? I had this problem before. Also it not powering up. It was lose connections in the front panel. They could be moving as its getting power. Open the front panel and check connections but fluid will fall out so be ready as all the electrics are incased in break fluid. Those batteries also go dead fast so unless its hooked up to your truck that break away may not even work. Like you said though if caroded replace. First thing to try though is a different truck if the problem happens again you can narrow it down to truck or trailer by using different trucks.

Cheers

thanks for all the help..will be replacing my breakaway switch and battery this weekend fingers crossed thats the issue.
If not i will troubleshoot it with Titan and see if there tests can determine what the cause is.

Cheers

thanks for all the help..will be replacing my breakaway switch and battery this weekend fingers crossed thats the issue.
If not i will troubleshoot it with Titan and see if there tests can determine what the cause is.

Cheers

The ford controller has to be set for the type of electric system you have
electric over hydraulic or straight electric
sounds like you might have it set wrong

Back