Help please with paint......

I have built this sweet tackle box for on top of the doghouse. Does anyone have any suggestions for paint? The doghouse is white so I'd like to color match it. I was thinking like some spray on bed liner material, that rubberized coumpound should keep the saltwater off the ****** pine 1x4's?? I plan on putting a 1/2 inch lid on it to make it flush with the top of the gunnels, possible white plastic cutting board material?? I am not sure of the lid configuration yet, I was thinking of having a t top style lid that open on each side one on right and one on left with hinges in middle??? But I changed the layout and it looks like I will have a single style lid for a bigger cutting board on top??? Maybe just a regular hood style lid that opens from the bow???

Suggestions???

Thanks,

SS31

Attachments

• Boat Final.jpg
    Boat Final.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 80
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_0052.jpg
    DSC_0052.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 96
I have built this sweet tackle box for on top of the doghouse. Does anyone have any suggestions for paint? Suggestions??? Thanks, SS31
If the wood is bone dry, I'd use epoxy for the first coat. Clean up the pine with alcohol to get rid of pitch (if there is any). The wood and epoxy should be warm for best penetration. Thin the slow-cure epoxy mixture about 20% with xylene solvent. Brush it on and let it soak into the wood and all joints. Once it's well cured - a few days, sand lightly and finish it with a quality, white marine enamel. Because the wood is totally impervious to moisture, it'll stand up to the weather for many years.

Hinges - if you hinge in the middle, water can get in at that joint and that's a tough one to gasket. Perhaps hinge on the sides and gasket the joint where the lids meet. One big cover might be awkward. You may want drain holes in each cell, regardless.

try bedliner spray! best stuff for protecting against the elements.
Make sure if using paint to really coat the end grain - aplly several extra thinned down coats to it before painting over

Back