Made a large 4ft by 1 1/2 cutting board. You can too for about $100 bucks

Hot-Streak

I made a cutting/fillet table! ... And you can too!

Decided I wanted a space to gut and scale fish on my boat while out trolling or anchored for Hali.

Also wanted to be able to fillet fish when back at the dock. The top lid of my fish locker was the perfect place.

***My table ended up being 4ft by 1 1/2ft with 3 inch sides and a back that folds down on hinges***

I got my material at Industrial plastics and paint where they cut a 2ft by 4ft sheet into 4 parts
1 x 4ft by 1 1/2ft sheet for the base
1x 4ft 3inch strip for the back wall
2x 17 3/4 strips for the side

Cost $102

Stainless steel hardware from trotac
Cost about $20

Only cutting I had to do was 45 degree corners. For the side pieces. The table was bolted together after drilling the holes for the bolts.

***Note it would have been cheaper to buy a large 4ft by 2ft hunting/game cutting board from princess auto... But I found this out after I had made the table***

Attachments

• 20211105_111234_HDR.jpg
    20211105_111234_HDR.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 355
  • 20211103_131045.jpg
    20211103_131045.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 338
  • 20211103_145407.jpg
    20211103_145407.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 702
  • 20211102_113453~2.jpg
    20211102_113453~2.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 355
This table or a smaller one can be made with a 4ft by 2ft game/hunting cutting board from princess auto being sold for $65.

Attachments

• 20211106_152510.jpg
    20211106_152510.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 207
Well done. Looks great
I learned to fish with my grandparents. I still remember Grandma scaling salmon in the baby wash tub in the driveway of their Chemainus home.
When I worked on a commercial boat, the idea was to sell fish that look pristine.
So why would anyone scale a salmon? No need and messy.

Well done. Looks great
I learned to fish with my grandparents. I still remember Grandma scaling salmon in the baby wash tub in the driveway of their Chemainus home.
When I worked on a commercial boat, the idea was to sell fish that look pristine.
So why would anyone scale a salmon? No need and messy.
Thanks for the comments! I scale because I eat the skin when cook salmon. I even cook/crisp the skin even If I will eat the salmon meat raw for sashimi. Lots of vitamins and nutrition I'm the skin.

Thanks for the comments! I scale because I eat the skin when cook salmon. I even cook/crisp the skin even If I will eat the salmon meat raw for sashimi. Lots of vitamins and nutrition I'm the skin.
Skin to win? Where have I heard that before?

It's important to have good help in the shop

index.php

Nice work! Thanks for the heads up on the Princess Auto cutting boards definitely going to pick a couple up. I always feel "violated" when shopping at Industrial Plastics ! :)

Nice work! Thanks for the heads up on the Princess Auto cutting boards definitely going to pick a couple up. I always feel "violated" when shopping at Industrial Plastics ! :)
Yeah even if you aren't making a fillet table the big and the smaller (but still big) cutting boards are a good value. I picked up one of each. big game cutting board for outside and the smaller one for cutting entire fish on my kitchen counter at home

I scale because I eat the skin when cook salmon. I even cook/crisp the skin even If I will eat the salmon meat raw for sashimi. Lots of vitamins and nutrition I'm the skin.
After filleting out a Hali or Lingcod there was always a ton of skin to get rid of. Then I got the idea, why not fry it up for the big ole German Sheppard. Never had any waste of skin after that anymore, the dog ate it like it was going out of style.

Nice table. and regardless of the cost it always feels better making things yourself.

After filleting out a Hali or Lingcod there was always a ton of skin to get rid of. Then I got the idea, why not fry it up for the big ole German Sheppard. Never had any waste of skin after that anymore, the dog ate it like it was going out of style.

Nice table. and regardless of the cost it always feels better making things yourself.
They sell salted fish skin chips at super store in the Asian foods section for $10 per bag..... my wife buys them. Every time I make fish I always crisp it up. If I leave it on I fry it up if I cut off the skin I'll put it in the mini oven on broiler and do it up like bacon.

Are the hinges stiff enough to not fold down when bumped?
No they are lose and meant to be. I had planned to and just did to day a way to hold the back up when i want to use the table. Basically all I did was use 2 small "L" shape brackets bolted to the top corner of the back of the side walls in a way they can pivot down over the back board when its in the up position. This locks it in.

I will take a photo next time i'm down on the boat.

Most people wont need the back to fold down on a hinge so I'd skip this part if not needed. It would save $20 off the build in hardware.

Last edited:
No they are lose and meant to be. I had planned to and just did to day a way to hold the back up when i want to use the table. Basically all I did was use 2 small "L" shape brackets bolted to the top corner of the back of the side walls in a way they can pivot down over the back board when its in the up position. This locks it in.

I will take a photo next time i'm down on the boat.

Most people wont need the back to fold down on a hinge so I'd skip this part if not needed. It would save $20 off the build in hardware.
Thanks! On my old board, I've accidentally launched a couple salmon into the sea while cutting (pinks, so it wasn't heartbreaking), so rigid sides/back are imperative for my fat fingers. ;)

Back