Have You Ever Done This?

They make that FBR bulletroll head in the states.......that could work too but it's a little bulky and sort of detracts from the visual appeal of a hoochy.......

The only reason I'm doing this is because I happen to think that a hoochy with a good roll on it will outfish a hoochy that doesn't.....

Remember ....most of the fish we catch are not instant drive-by "grabs"....they've been sizing up the lure before that....

You don't want to know how many 35lb'ers have turned away from your lure because it just wasn't quite right enough
for them........

If you look in the early vintage tackle books........there is very little that is new today......most "new" stuff is just reworked ideas from the 20's,30's and 40's.....

Bulletroll heads were one of them......

Last edited by a moderator:
GDW.......yep...I have some early Jugheads in that size.....

But in this case I'm not looking for the Jughead action.........I'm looking for a rolling hoochy.

It does not have to 'porpoise" or imitate an anchovy or bait...

All it has to do is roll............:D

The bullet roll head and most others will roll with no bait in them. The hootchie should roll with no weight in it. The anchovie allows us to have the tail follow the head in a realistic injured swim. The head alone just turns slowly.

I did something similar a few years ago.. I used a small apex and drilled an off center hole in the nose of the apex, then pulled a hoochie onto the tail of the apex. It looked killer in the water, round and round JUST like a rolling bait... Caught coho great! never did catch a chinook on it so its still in tackle tray somewhere. I 'll post pic if I can find it.
From that experiment, I would suggest trying diff holes in the teaser nose? or a hot air gun to bend the side 'wing' out a bit? or maybe a thin strip of plastic bent in a curve you like, then drill a small hole for the teaser pin. Put the bend strip into the hoochie nose like a extra long gum pucky?
You know... ideas are free... sucess is the hard part - ha

Arima Arima.......what sort of weight would you add?

I was thinking because it was lighter there would therefor be less resistance and it would not be impeded.......

How heavy do you have to go?
Maybe a couple of slip shots up in the head not really sure.... it just doesn't look right with out.

Well....for starters I'm going with this version.....I guess I've got my work cut out for me on the others.....

Added some foam in the head to make the t/pick stick better and put a bigger hook than would normally be used to make it pull back on the side and keep the head facing into maximum angle.......
Will run on 5 1/2ft leader......

005.jpg

Just waiting for a break in the weather.....

I don't know what you mean by "test it against".....I'll have that on one side and something that's compatible in trolling speed on the other.

:D

..Seafever you seem like a pretty interesting guy, I would love to meet you someday. Why not just run a nice piece of bait in those teaser heads and drop that splatter back/TRex hooch down on the opposite side of the boat?

Where I drop lines it's usually Dogfish Acres.........real bait as a rule doesn't last too long......especially in the late spring and summer....

Usually when I fish a hoochy it is "normal" and hasn't been modified.......I only picked the T-rex because I had some in the cuttlefish size which would fit in the head....plus there has been a recent revival of the T-Rex.
Although personally I think that there are several other hoochies around that will fish just as good.

Everybody swears by the lure they catch the most fish on........:p

Thanks Demco......maybe we'll cross trails someday.......

You were talking about adding some weight to them, how about adding a small length of Hollow-Core Lead inserted into a piece of surgical tubing inserted inside the hoochie. You could fine tune it by just cutting pieces of the weight off. The toothpick would go though the hoochie and the surgical tubing, holding it all in place. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Seafever, have you ever tried making an offset hole in your normal hootchie rig. Depending where your offset hole is placed will determine the size of the roll. This also allows you to fish a longer leader as the hootchie has some of its own action. Its an old commercial trick.

Yeah I was meaning it is a hybrid using a bait holder and a hootchie. So the natural thing to test it against would be a regular hootchie setup or an anchovie. With dogfish around bait may be tricky tho.

Bullhead...yes I've tried that.......but it didn't produce for me....if you do that with thin skinned hoochies, they don't last too long either....

I have this other little thing in this pic that I've wanted to try for along time but never got around to it as well....

It doesn't depend on roll that much....it's more about the wiggling tail action.......

Don't know how long it would be down there before they chew the wiggling back end off tho'........:)

001.jpg

had to drill an extra toothpick hole......

Still not happy about the hook placement.....tried a few ways with single and trebles to get it so it doesn't impede the wiggle....

I'll fool around trolling these for awhile and if they don't work I'll just put a Green Haze flasher and a Green Splatterback hoochy on and catch some fish........

Back