Halibut! What do you want?

Give it a rest Lorne, you really need to take some time out to grasp the facts. What's your solution, sit back and have us cry like babies and stamp our feet in protest? Time for us to move on, and find more constructive ways to work together as recreational anglers to build long term solutions. I haven't heard you say one thing that can be implemented within the current framework. Time to play within the ball park instead of out in left field.

All I hear you saying is lets divide the recreational fishing voice - boy that's productive. I'm sure you are well meaning and passionate about this fishery - I'm just saying your passion is being mis-directed into non-productive and divisive activity that will not advance our mutual needs and interests into the longer term.

i agree 100% recreational anglers working together and start working on long term strategies. actually i agree with all that searun stated i would love nothing more to see us working together

if we never lost what we had none of us would be on this thread everyone was happy

so why not get back what we had? focus all of our energy and time on that like Searun stated instead of chuck rocks at the sectors within the recreation fishery

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is the unfair allocation, nothing more!!

3.gif

Give it a rest Lorne, you really need to take some time out to grasp the facts. What's your solution, sit back and have us cry like babies and stamp our feet in protest? Time for us to move on, and find more constructive ways to work together as recreational anglers to build long term solutions. I haven't heard you say one thing that can be implemented within the current framework. Time to play within the ball park instead of out in left field.

All I hear you saying is lets divide the recreational fishing voice - boy that's productive. I'm sure you are well meaning and passionate about this fishery - I'm just saying your passion is being mis-directed into non-productive and divisive activity that will not advance our mutual needs and interests into the longer term.

I will give it a rest when you stop talking like a politician like this is such a great thing, when its so blantaly obvious that it is not. I have yet to here you say, you know what, we ****** up AND we were caught with our pants down. We should actually at the very least consulted you guys on this. We didnt, because we knew this wouldnt have went over well. This really isnt in everyones best interest. But hey, this is our livelihood and we had to do what we had to. That would garner alot more support (at least on my end) then the BS you are spouting out in your posts.

Other then "maybe" extending the season a few weeks. What benefit does this bring? We dont have mutual needs or the same interests in the long term. That became very obvious when these decisions were made.

Lorne

10-4. it is an allocation problem and one we can and will take steps to fix. Hucking stones at one another isn't going to get us there however. If we have to play within this system (they picked it not us), then we need to take steps to strategically play it to our best benefit.

Lorne I dont think searun was saying its a great thing
read his post he wants to fix the current allocation why do you slam him for that? lorne you cant change this years allocation too late but you can move forward and work with everyone to make it better for the future

Im not sure how i can ever stop posting regarding the issue with paragraphs like this being posted. PLEASE FIND 1 just 1 person other then you guys that think this is a good option? THe north island rec guys and G/o's arent happy with it. Anyone that doesnt have halibut in thier back yard arent happy with it. Seems to me not very many South Island guys are happy with it. SO who exactly thinks this is a good reg?

Unbelievable. It just never ends. This is the mess that was created through the back room dealings. There was no divison till this happened. You remind me of the slimeist politician ever to walk the earth. Speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

We should work together, yet we should make decisions with only one side involved. Then tell them its the best for everyone.

We should start to work towards long term strategies. Yet we should make short term concessions which will 100% hurt our long term strategy.

And another note,you are not a part of the recreational fishery.!!

Lorne

P.s phisbonk. Alaska ALREADY tried this very thing. And it was a COMPLETE failure. Which makes this slot even more of a joke. Its already been tried.

We know were you stand... so perhaps you should stop with the BS untill you understand what this is about...and yes no one is happy about it ...... that would be all sectors

I will give it a rest when you stop talking like a politician like this is such a great thing, when its so blantaly obvious that it is not. I have yet to here you say, you know what, we ****** up AND we were caught with our pants down. We should actually at the very least consulted you guys on this. We didnt, because we knew this wouldnt have went over well. This really isnt in everyones best interest. But hey, this is our livelihood and we had to do what we had to. That would garner alot more support (at least on my end) then the BS the somes spouting out in your posts.

Other then "maybe" extending the season a few weeks. What benefit does this bring? We dont have mutual needs or the same interests in the long term. That became very obvious when these decisions were made.

Lorne

Perhaps you should give it rest..get educated on what going on..open your ears

Why not start with making all the Americans that come up to BC pay for their Halibut and leave the sport tac for the people of Canada.Does anyone have any actual numbers of Americans that fish in our waters?

who shall i send the bill too for the american salmon you kill along WCVI??? let me know......................

We know were you stand... so perhaps you should stop with the BS untill you understand what this is about...and yes no one is happy about it ...... that would be all sectors

But searun just said it was a good thing? I have not said anything that is BS. I called a spade a spade. :) Its becoming pretty pathetic honestly.

Lorne

No i don't have quota,but what i can say is lets start putting the blame where it belongs and that is DFO as they are the ones that started all this IVQ bs in the first place.They seem to have ways of getting quota for all the native bands up and down the coast so why not for us?

But searun just said it was a good thing? I have not said anything that is BS. I called a spade a spade. :) Its becoming pretty pathetic honestly.

Lorne

Please don't misrepresent my views. Not once have I said I like the ITQ system and present situation. I've tried way too many times to explain our views and why they are at this time our best option in our opinion. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect you do not like or understand the merits of my views. I would however appreciate if you would stay away from pointless personal attacks. There isn't much point in debating this with you further....and yes, I'm pissed off - you crossed a line.

To address your other misrepresentations of our views. We have been open and transparent in what we are doing, and if we were working on hiding anything we certainly would never be posting our plans on a public forum. Think about it before you post that.

Every group within the Recreational Sector needs to be involved with their constituents, debating needs/wants/views to come up with their own input into the process. That is exactly what we have done, and I invited you to do the same. Rather unfortunately you can't even answer the question as to what exactly you would suggest we do? Nice. I'm done sitting back being bullied by you. We all know why bullies resort to bully tactics. Enough!

When you look around the table at the folks participating in the Main Board SFAB process, I see people with over 30 years experience each working hard in the recreational fisheries best interest. Quality people dedicating their lives to help all of us. Working together respecting one another's views is how we will collectively find our way towards a win/win solution. Actively engaging in purely divisive posts makes me wonder what your ultimate motive is...perhaps to divide the recreational community? Or is it just to attack someone you don't even know.

What is your experience with the halibut fishery? How long have you been actively participating in helping advance the interests of the recreational community? Have you been involved or volunteered time at the Main Board of the SFAB? Have you been involved locally at the SFAC level? Been a member in a fishing club, BCWF, BCFDF, SSBC? Been a Director in any of the conservation organizations in BC? Have you ever been a founding Director or President in any conservation organization? Any volunteer efforts raising funds for habitat restoration, organized any PSF dinners to raise funds for salmon? Have you worked as a volunteer to manage habitat restoration projects to bring back salmon and steelhead habitat? Maybe walk a mile or two in someone's shoes before you try bullying them.

When you get involved, bring forward well reasoned, researched and informed proposals with that level of expertise behind you, I might start listening. Until then, your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying.

Honestly gentlemen, this entire thread has become a pathetic ***** session of whiners and complainers. You don't like the outcome? (and believe me, no one does) then get the hell out there and be part of the solution. If you come onto this forum to continuously snivel about what you didn't get, it's because you weren't involved and you are merely part of the problem. Without a doubt, the main reason why we have a 25% increase in allocation this year is because we presented a united front and took on the politicians as the lobbying power we have. You don't believe that? Have one quick look at the fresh water sector. Completely fractured and at odds with each other, fly guys and drift guys continuously fight and NOTHING ever gets accomplished except the continuous degradation of fishing opportunities.

If you want that to happen on the great salt, then keep up this immature and childish in-fighting and moaning and bitching. You think the guides are over-represented in the decision making groups? Well then there is only ONE way to solve that. GET INVOLVED AND STOP MOANING LIKE A LITTLE GIRL. If you want to continue to try to fracture the voice of the recreational angler, then you are more of the problem than you are part of the solution. I for one want to thank all those who have been involved and were able to get the additional 25% that we got. That is a MAJOR accomplishment and the wedge in the system that needs much more exploitation. Thank you gentlemen, Guides and private sporties alike.

Enough said. last post. This thread and those who continue to complain that they weren't represented disgusts me.

If you want that to happen on the great salt, then keep up this immature and childish in-fighting and moaning and bitching. You think the guides are over-represented in the decision making groups? Well then there is only ONE way to solve that. GET INVOLVED AND STOP MOANING LIKE A LITTLE GIRL. If you want to continue to try to fracture the voice of the recreational angler, then you are more of the problem than you are part of the solution.

Enough said. last post. This thread disgusts me.

I agree 100%. especially the last part. Im done

Lorne

Im probably more valuable on your team then against on the other side. The ball is your court.

This whole slot limit $hit is a waste of time. I would rather see it closed early, then see this slot limit crap. I am beginning to think that it is very self serving for the guides and lodges and not Joe weekend warrior. All I see happening is a whole lot of dumped dead halibut,just like the slot limit on the salmon.

This whole slot limit $hit is a waste of time. I would rather see it closed early, then see this slot limit crap. I am beginning to think that it is very self serving for the guides and lodges and not Joe weekend warrior. All I see happening is a whole lot of dumped dead halibut,just like the slot limit on the salmon.[/QUOT

Then get involved in the process....

Too many pages to read since i have been away. So enlighten me is the slot thing still being kicked around? If so how is it supposed to help? last time I checked , creel survey, to get an average of fish per boat, to get an average of size (20lbs) plus fly overs to get numbers of boats on water, then the voodoo math thingy. So how the hell does putting in a slot size add up to JACKSHIT! Fire away folks.

Probably doesn't matter. How the hell can they enforce this when they have no enforcement officers actually in the field? Who is gonna be keeping track of the size of the Halis that come into the dock?

We need to tell the Taliban that there are lots of American policy makers hanging out at DFO headquarters in Ottawa, lol.

Back