Halibut! What do you want?

im not saying you can gift it holmes sorry now I am a bit confused easy at this time of night
transporting is another completley different topic

All this chatter makes me wonder who really understands the issue?

The problem is the unfair allocation, nothing more!!

If we impose management tools such as shortened seasons, reduced limits, slot sizes, annual limits, no fish for guides, barbless hooks, artificial bait, only allowed to fish on Monday's and wednesdays, no tuffline, closed areas etc etc etc, than what you are saying is that 15% is good enough and that we should stay within our allocation....

Alaska and Washington allocated 36% and 32% to their Rec fisheries why did we only get 15%???

Focus boys....keep your eyes on the ball!! When we have a reasonable allocation, than we can talk mgmt tools, not a moment sooner.

100% agree. So in your opinion, how do you feel about the current regulation recommendation from the SFAC?

im not saying you can gift it holmes sorry now I am a bit confused easy at this time of night
transporting is another completley different topic

You can gift fish but they still can't over their posession limit.........period

All this chatter makes me wonder who really understands the issue?

The problem is the unfair allocation, nothing more!!

If we impose management tools such as shortened seasons, reduced limits, slot sizes, annual limits, no fish for guides, barbless hooks, artificial bait, only allowed to fish on Monday's and wednesdays, no tuffline, closed areas etc etc etc, than what you are saying is that 15% is good enough and that we should stay within our allocation....

Alaska and Washington allocated 36% and 32% to their Rec fisheries why did we only get 15%???

Focus boys....keep your eyes on the ball!! When we have a reasonable allocation, than we can talk mgmt tools, not a moment sooner.

YES!! Washington rec anglers get 32% of their quota BUT there is STILL a constant parade of their boats coming across the border to catch Halibut that goes ON OUR QUOTA!!

I don't hear much bitching about that!!! Only about the guides........who generally are the ones who have attended the meetings for all these past years and fight the DFO every year to try and preserve the fishing opportunities that we have. There seems to be a lot of mis guided finger pointing going on here. :p

thats what i thought Fishtofino...holmes*

I've done it myself when the wind and seas are up so bad that we could only get offshore for a small window on one of the days they are fishing with me......i will kill one on my daily limit and gift it for the group to share up.

I don't see the harm in that but maybe others do. Obviously if there is an annual limit i wouldn't be able to do it.

I've done it myself when the wind and seas are up so bad that we could only get offshore for a small window on one of the days they are fishing with me......i will kill one on my daily limit and gift it for the group to share up.

I don't see the harm in that but maybe others do. Obviously if there is an annual limit i wouldn't be able to do it.

I am not slinging mud at you here at all on this one, I can see where you are coming from under your described circumstances, however,,,, if this were challanged under a court of law how would it stand up???

Did you catch the gifted fish during the same paid trip that you took the giftee out on? If so, you are no longer "providing" just an experience to a person that wants to be taken to the fish to catch themselves. You are taking them to the fish and showing them how to catch them, but if you charge them for the trip, and "give" them "your" fish, then it may or may not be able to be argued in a court of law that you "sold them" the fish under the guise of an experience.

Or,,,

Did you gift them a fish that you had caught on another trip out by yourself, or out with another paid client? If so, then this may or may not be able to be argued in a court of law that you were selling them recreationally caught fish, if you were compensated for taking them out for an experience that they paid you for, and as a result they received a "gifted" fish from you. At that point, they will have not only paid for the "experience" but also the "gifted" fish or anything else that you give to them, be it pictures of the experience, video, fish bags, the lure that they caught thier fish on, or anything that you give to them for having paid you for an "experience", including yes, the "gifted fish".

Now if they did not pay you anything for the "experience", and you gave them a fish (with absolutely no expectaion of any form of compensation - immediate or future), then the fish could be considered a "Gift".

I am not a lawyer, I am not offended by your actions, I am just saying,,,, I don't know if what you are doing for your clients is REALLY truely legal???? Not sure that I would put that one out there too much on a public forum,,, just in case.

Cheers.

I can assure you that anything i do is 100% legal. I will also say that i'm not afraid to post this on a public forum....we are discussing this issue and i wish to educate some of the members here that need it. I had consulted with one of our enforcement officers before i did anything like this.

Here's the scenario. I have a crew that has booked 2 days of fishing with me. The 1st day the wind is blowing 27 knots out of the NW with 10 - 12 ft seas. We are stuck fishing inside waters where we have to release all Chinooks over 78 cm so we get a few Cohos that they can keep. Of course there are no Halibut inside.So they end up with 2 Cohos per person.............kinda ****** for an 8 hr day, n'est pas?

The 2nd day the winds die down and we can get offshore. They catch their 2 Chinooks each in the morning so we go Halibut fishing!!!! They catch their 1 Halibut each and i let them reel in mine and gift it to them to share amongst them. They are still under their posession limit and we are all legal. They are very appreciative and love me forever.

Doesn't seem so bad to me, what about you Fish-Hunter?

I can assure you that anything i do is 100% legal. I will also say that i'm not afraid to post this on a public forum....we are discussing this issue and i wish to educate some of the members here that need it. I had consulted with one of our enforcement officers before i did anything like this.

Here's the scenario. I have a crew that has booked 2 days of fishing with me. The 1st day the wind is blowing 27 knots out of the NW with 10 - 12 ft seas. We are stuck fishing inside waters where we have to release all Chinooks over 78 cm so we get a few Cohos that they can keep. Of course there are no Halibut inside.So they end up with 2 Cohos per person.............kinda ****** for an 8 hr day, n'est pas?

The 2nd day the winds die down and we can get offshore. They catch their 2 Chinooks each in the morning so we go Halibut fishing!!!! They catch their 1 Halibut each and i let them reel in mine and gift it to them to share amongst them. They are still under their posession limit and we are all legal. They are very appreciative and love me forever.

Doesn't seem so bad to me, what about you Fish-Hunter?

The principle of it all doesn't seem bad to me at all man, not at all.
Like I said I am not slinging mud at you or anyone that does this also, I am not a lawyer, I just don't know how a court of law (judge) would look at it if it were challenged. If you have looked into the legal aspects and dicussed this with your corporate lawyer (not just an enforcement officer), then you should be good to go, and I wouldn't be concerned if I were you, if not,,, then the sceptic in me would always be wondering.

Discussion is great, this is how we learn new things. If you have gotten legal advice for your situation and share your experiences here with all of us, and some of us can learn something new from that, well that is what it is all about.

Cheers,
I am not trying to rain on your parade:).
FH

I don't need to talk to a lawyer if the DFO officer doesn't care

This thread has gone sideways.
Can't we let it die????

GLG

Last edited by a moderator:
i let them reel in mine

ummmm-- by letting THEM actually reel in the fish, you are crossing the line IMO. If they have their one fish, they have to release the one on your rod unless YOU actually reeled it up.

Ooops Just saw your post Gil--- you are right... dead it is from now on for me. LOL!!!!

I have a disability but still like to eat Halibut, lol.

My last post on this thread

Why not start with making all the Americans that come up to BC pay for their Halibut and leave the sport tac for the people of Canada.Does anyone have any actual numbers of Americans that fish in our waters?

Why not start with making all the Americans that come up to BC pay for their Halibut and leave the sport tac for the people of Canada.Does anyone have any actual numbers of Americans that fish in our waters?

They can't actually fish in our waters unless they purchase a license from a vendor in Canada. The on line license cannot be used......up shot of this is the Neah Bay boys cannot come here to fish unless they come to Canada and purchase a paper license - not likely they will. So this is an enforcement issue, and not a popular or easily accessible fishery for the US anglers coming in from Neah Bay.

We have a good regulatory option (slot limit) that will keep us all fishing for the entire season. There is no need for any other regulation at this time. We should not be chucking stones at sectors within the recreational fishery. This is precisely what the commies want to see happening. Time for all rec anglers to work together, get involved and for us to start work on our longer term strategies.

Thanks for info ,just trying to understand all this as i am new to this coast.On east coast things are a bit different.One thing i worry about this slot limit is the people that want the biggest fish out there and what they would do with the small ones.I think Alaska is trying that are they not?

No. The slot limit will help us stay within our total TAC by limiting the size in total pounds caught of fish. How it works is the second fish has to be around 15 pounds to stay within the slot limit. Most of the halibut caught in our area are caught from northern Vancouver Island to QCI - the slot limit will effectively reduce the total pounds caught in these areas which are predominantly large fish and caught by folks who are fishing for more than 1 day. So, the net effect is to reduce the overall pounds caught. The impact to rec anglers in the south coast where most rec anglers actually fish is low because most fish caught in this area are at or below the slot limit size (few by percentage of unguided anglers live and fish in the Mid Coast and QCI). So the folks on this forum who are crying the blues saying the guides are benefiting from the slot limit are not stepping back to fully understand where those fewer fish caught are going to come from (largely the north coast guided recreational anglers). This is all about working together to spread out our catch over a longer period of time, and the TAC isn't about conservation it is about allocation. The conservation measures come from staying within our TAC.

We have a good regulatory option (slot limit) that will keep us all fishing for the entire season. There is no need for any other regulation at this time..

Im not sure how i can ever stop posting regarding the issue with paragraphs like this being posted. PLEASE FIND 1 just 1 person other then you guys that think this is a good option? THe north island rec guys and G/o's arent happy with it. Anyone that doesnt have halibut in thier back yard arent happy with it. Seems to me not very many South Island guys are happy with it. SO who exactly thinks this is a good reg?

We should not be chucking stones at sectors within the recreational fishery. This is precisely what the commies want to see happening. Time for all rec anglers to work together, get involved and for us to start work on our longer term strategies.

Unbelievable. It just never ends. This is the mess that was created through the back room dealings. There was no divison till this happened. You remind me of the slimeist politician ever to walk the earth. Speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

We should work together, yet we should make decisions with only one side involved. Then tell them its the best for everyone.

We should start to work towards long term strategies. Yet we should make short term concessions which will 100% hurt our long term strategy.

And another note,you are not a part of the recreational fishery.!!

Lorne

P.s phisbonk. Alaska ALREADY tried this very thing. And it was a COMPLETE failure. Which makes this slot even more of a joke. Its already been tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. The slot limit will help us stay within our total TAC by limiting the size in total pounds caught of fish. How it works is the second fish has to be around 15 pounds to stay within the slot limit. Most of the halibut caught in our area are caught from northern Vancouver Island to QCI - the slot limit will effectively reduce the total pounds caught in these areas which are predominantly large fish and caught by folks who are fishing for more than 1 day. So, the net effect is to reduce the overall pounds caught. The impact to rec anglers in the south coast where most rec anglers actually fish is low because most fish caught in this area are at or below the slot limit size (few by percentage of unguided anglers live and fish in the Mid Coast and QCI). So the folks on this forum who are crying the blues saying the guides are benefiting from the slot limit are not stepping back to fully understand where those fewer fish caught are going to come from (largely the north coast guided recreational anglers). This is all about working together to spread out our catch over a longer period of time, and the TAC isn't about conservation it is about allocation. The conservation measures come from staying within our TAC.

BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH.

or

charlie-brown-whawah.jpg

Back