Halibut! What do you want?

Staggered openings I was wondering about this too, for instance if its mar 1 to aug 1 in victoria the same length could be may 1 to oct 1 up the coast. This gives the same length of opening and lets people get out in better weather. Just and idea guys.

this would work me thinks,,,5 month openings...dependant of when the area opens...may 1 to oct 1 makes alot of sense!!!

Staggered openings I was wondering about this too, for instance if its mar 1 to aug 1 in victoria the same length could be may 1 to oct 1 up the coast. This gives the same length of opening and lets people get out in better weather. Just and idea guys.

I like that idea firelight.

Not sure but I think the charters like the earlier opening as added revenue for hali. Once June rolls around they focus more on salmon. From a rec stand point I would like to see the quota start later and end around mid-september. But I can see the other side as well. Not sure what the answer is but having to plan a early trip just for hali is not the best solution for me.

Well if we are only talking about personal wishes, for me please a hali season that runs from at least Feb - June and then Sept - Dec. I could live without July and August as there are too many doggies here anyway plus salmon keep me happy - until they are closed as well in near future.

Ken is 100 percent correct. That is the reality. Hopefully we can find a way to work together for everyones mutual benefit Best if we try to avoid falling for the bait the commercial guys are heaving out there to encourage a split in the rec community.

March 5, 2012
Ms. Susan Farlinger
Regional Director General
Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Pacific Region
The SFAB Executive Committee is pleased to endorse the recommendation of its Halibut Working Group that effective April 1 the Department of Fisheries and Oceans implement by condition of licence a “normal and under” possession policy in which recreational anglers for the remainder of the 2012 fishing will be allowed to retain one halibut a day, and two in total possession away from their place of residence, but with one of these fish being subject to a maximum size restriction of 83 cm. which translates to 15 lbs in round weight and 11.25 lbs in dressed weight.
The Executive Committee notes that this recommendation came forward following a series of electronic meetings with DFO staff in which productive dialogue was greatly assisted by an analysis of Draft Regulatory Tools for Recreational Halibut Management prepared by Pacific Region of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. This document provided the basis upon which the SFAB members of the working group reached the conclusion that the “normal and under” approach provided the best chance for a full season in which predictable opportunity was available to all participants in the fishery on a coast-wide basis, although at a reduced level.

FROM THE SFAB EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Is this mutual benefit?

When are we going to see the annual bag limit that I have continually heard suggested and have heard no one oppose?

Also would like to see the management areas broken down and regs appropriately applied.
I am fine with 1 per day in Victoria waters. My time and financial commitment to a day in Victoria waters is less so I am OK to pull the plug at 1 each per day and 1 possesion.
At one a day the season should run from March to November.
Other destination and offshore areas that I have to travel to and spend more time and money to fish would be nice if it was 2 per day and 2 total possesion.
Generally the season is shorter in these areas and could be May to Oct.

I am opposed to a size limit, most hali I catch are not lip caught with a barbless hook so there would be some dead hali out there if I have to release them. Also not that interested in a hali under 15 lb.

Just my opinion.

Tips

I think the number one thing that should change is the splitting up of the TAC. Why should we be cut off when commercial guys are still out. This alone would keep most happy I would think. 1/2 seems fine to me. When the TAC is hit, shut it down. Keep IHPC happy, keep commercials working, keep sporties out there.

Really...ona and two? (One and a half actually)
Simplesupply and demand states that commercials won't lose if their quota is reduced...less fish on the market equals more expensive fish on the market...assuming they can hold trheir own against the distributors. Hali is a luxury item and can't be considered a staple for hungry families...therefore a small rise in price would be a victimless crime too.
What isn't victimless is the unballanced harvest of a public resource weighted on the commercial side...more sport fish would also buoy the charters too. (It's expensive now at the store and it all gets bought)

As i understand it,and somone can correct me if i'm wrong, guides and lodges can still buy quota to keep their business going if the season gets shut down early. If they don't use it they can lease it out and make 10% on their investment in the quota that they purchased. Sounds to me like buying quota is better than buying stocks in the stock market. That's what I would do if my livelihood depended on it!!

As i understand it,and somone can correct me if i'm wrong, guides and lodges can still buy quota to keep their business going if the season gets shut down early. If they don't use it they can lease it out and make 10% on their investment in the quota that they purchased. Sounds to me like buying quota is better than buying stocks in the stock market. That's what I would do if my livelihood depended on it!!

do you understand how wrong it is?

phishbonk perhaps you should refrain from saying such crazy ideas.
Do you really think their personal values are that low.
GLG

Dude...............

Sometimes.... its not all about the money.

WTF!!!

Well,,, thank christ that your livelihood does not depend on it then!

I would suspect that if it were known that you were supporting your livelihood with this very contentious and disgusting program designed and supported only by the Commercial sector and DFO, that you would have a hard time keeping your boats floating,,, just saying that if people knew that you were buying into this crap they would ideed be very pissed to say the least. If your clients were educated as to what you would have sacrificed for them to be able to catch a fish out of season, not sure how many of them would ever fish with you again, and that would negatively affect your livelihood. Would be pretty hard to hide, when you would be the only one to come up the dock with a Halibut out of season.

So,,, yes it is good that your livelihood does not depend on it!

I have to ask,
Is this what you want????? (the title of this thread is after all: Halibut! What do you want?)

When are we going to see the annual bag limit that I have continually heard suggested and have heard no one oppose?

Also would like to see the management areas broken down and regs appropriately applied.
I am fine with 1 per day in Victoria waters. My time and financial commitment to a day in Victoria waters is less so I am OK to pull the plug at 1 each per day and 1 possesion.
At one a day the season should run from March to November.
Other destination and offshore areas that I have to travel to and spend more time and money to fish would be nice if it was 2 per day and 2 total possesion.
Generally the season is shorter in these areas and could be May to Oct.

I am opposed to a size limit, most hali I catch are not lip caught with a barbless hook so there would be some dead hali out there if I have to release them. Also not that interested in a hali under 15 lb.

Just my opinion.

Tips

I am opposed to a a size limit as well
How about a guide limit?
If you are guiding you cannot keep or gift your possession limit?
Seems fair to most that I talk to .
Annual limit of 8 hali per lic. holder would work well..Probably better than a slot size limit where the fish will be abused to try and find one under 15 lbs. Mortality will be high.

If I lived in Alberta I sure would not be spending the $$ to fly out here for 1 halibut and one uner 15 lbs... Jimmy P is looking better all the time.

I am opposed to a a size limit as well
How about a guide limit?
If you are guiding you cannot keep or gift your possession limit?
Seems fair to most that I talk to .
Annual limit of 8 hali per lic. holder would work well..Probably better than a slot size limit where the fish will be abused to try and find one under 15 lbs. Mortality will be high.

If I lived in Alberta I sure would not be spending the $$ to fly out here for 1 halibut and one uner 15 lbs... Jimmy P is looking better all the time.

what ensures this will keep our season open for the full season and we wont reach our quota ?
so how do you think that fish will be abused ? that guides willl throw dead halis over? how will mortality be high!?!? what studies you using that show this?
what makes you think that guides gift their fish? why shouldnt guides be able to keep their limit?
a guide limit ?????? what does this look like ? so they wont have sport fishing lisence then? cause now it sounds like they wont fall under the same sporty regulation

what ensures this will keep our season open for the full season and we wont reach our quota ?

Nothing. Same as the 1 to 1 or the 1 to 2 and the slot. Until we are accountable we shouldnt be making any concessions. At least of we went to an annual limit it is something i could live with forever. The snowball of the 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 with slot will be fun to watch over the years im sure.

so how do you think that fish will be abused ? that guides willl throw dead halis over? how will mortality be high!?!? what studies you using that show this?
what makes you think that guides gift their fish? why shouldnt guides be able to keep their limit?

Fish will be thrown over board because of the new reg. People will chuck the smalls till they get a big and vise versa on day 2. I am not sure about you but if you arent using circle hooks for halis, they arent exactly soft biters. I wont touch the guides gifting fish, that one is too easy.

holmes if a client is checked by DFO officer and they dont show that had made overnight accomodations then they can only have a one day limit
so they could have to show a hotel reciept or camping gear
to be honest not sure that too many guides give their clients halibut they like halibut also :)
so if you have 3 hali but cant show you stayed and fished two days you could be fined its like anything with the cops you have to basically prove you are legal
if you get a speeding ticket you have to go to court to show you didnt speed not the cop showing he didnt make a mistake
if sporties have their families out camping and the guys went and wacked enough halis for everyone to take home thier limits even if the wife or kids that are 2years old never went out on the boat but they all took limits home
thats just an example btw too be honest i dont think this is worth the battle or time well spent
the battle is getting our fishery back and staying united althogh that was already said on here

i dont belive most anlgers or guides will throw fish over because of new reg that is jugding people before you know them or of them
imo hali's are pretty hardy they never seem to die even after you beat the **** out of them
going to an anual limit will be giving up what we had getting back the 2 a day 3 possesion and the regular season back would be better

Back