Halibut recommendation from SFAB to DFO

FYI buddy
Saw a legal 70 and 2 at 68 last year at 126.
Not a stretch that we will see legal 80's at 133.

75's do taste OK. Not as good as the smaller ones.
I killed a 186 once and we could not give that away.

And yes I do frown people who want to kill the biggest fish they possibly can.
Marlin, sailfish, and wild steelhead are trophies that most people release.
Why not Halibut?
ummm... huh :confused: FYI ... 133 is 70 lb..... not 80,
75 lb halibut tastes really good.
Don't call your fellow angler fools, it's not helpful.

FYI buddy
Saw a legal 70 and 2 at 68 last year at 126.
Not a stretch that we will see legal 80's at 133.

75's do taste OK. Not as good as the smaller ones.
I killed a 186 once and we could not give that away.

And yes I do frown people who want to kill the biggest fish they possibly can.
Marlin, sailfish, and wild steelhead are trophies that most people release.
Why not Halibut?

Because their populations are not depleted. Don't try to compare wild steelhead to halibut. Plus I've ate a 130 and was delicious. Maybe you just don't know how to cook the bigger ones?

Thanks Ray, I get your point also. I think it will be far easier to get the option you floated looked at more closely on the next time around. Like I mentioned, too many of the SFAC's had already met and put in their input prior to your idea coming forward. There were lots of other ideas that did not get considered last year too for the exact same reason.

For what it is worth, maybe having your SFAC write a motion asking for this new idea to be considered as an option for next season would help get it on the radar?

Because their populations are not depleted. Don't try to compare wild steelhead to halibut. Plus I've ate a 130 and was delicious. Maybe you just don't know how to cook the bigger ones?

Thats a riot Dave!! I have held back from getting into that "big fish no good" Sometimes people get so set in their ways that the facts are not relevant.
Cheers

[h=4]Areas 121, 23 and 123 Closed Areas:[/h]Effective Feb. 1, 2014 to Dec. 31, 2014, no person shall fish for or retain halibut, rockfish and lingcod in Area 121 outside the 12 nautical mile limit seaward of a line that begins at 48°34.00’N and 125°17.386’W and continues south easterly at a bearing of 116° True to a point at 48°28.327’N and 125°01.687’W.

lack of chart to use.. where is this closure? a lil confused.....

[h=4]Areas 121, 23 and 123 Closed Areas:[/h]Effective Feb. 1, 2014 to Dec. 31, 2014, no person shall fish for or retain halibut, rockfish and lingcod in Area 121 outside the 12 nautical mile limit seaward of a line that begins at 48°34.00’N and 125°17.386’W and continues south easterly at a bearing of 116° True to a point at 48°28.327’N and 125°01.687’W.

lack of chart to use.. where is this closure? a lil confused.....

It's either the outside swift closure or around there. Not where we fish but saw a number of long lines in the closure on that edge this summer.

Edit

Here plugged it into my phone. Looks to me like it's closing the outside of the swift closure. Doesn't look like it will affect the swift tack or banks on the northern side.

1FAAEEDE-862B-4CF1-9CBE-D81D80D69BED-1863-000000BE453E6DA7_zpsc3d1f932.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Swiftsure bank closure :)

It shares the same N coordinate as the Swift closure but the W coordinate is a bit different. Also it seems to be closing everything offshore vs inshore where the bank closure is. A bit confusing.

My DFO Buddy says it the same one that has been in place ... Not sure ...I can talk to him tomorrow

My DFO Buddy says it the same one that has been in place ... Not sure ...I can talk to him tomorrow

Here's the existing swift coordinates.

"The waters of Swiftsure Bank are closed to all finfish, all year inside a line from 48°34.00'N and 125°06.00'W, thence to 48°34.00'N and 124°54.20'W, thence to 48°29.62'N and 124°43.40'W, thence following the International Boundary between Canada and the U.S. to 48°29.55'N and 124°56.20'W, thence in a straight line to the point of commencement."

Edit

Optimist the above is the same old closure but is what trophy wife posted not different?

Back