Halibut opening

The moral of the story. People only want to protect salmon as long as someone else has to stop fishing not them...

This is true across all environmental segments. Everyone is all for saving the planet until they come to realize it's them that will have to change their ways, then the excuses start just like your example. We've seen it on this very forum a dozen + times.

Personally, I’d be willing to go catch and release for everything and still fish as as long as there was no total closure.

The problem with DFO in a nutshell is that they and their political masters will never make the REALLY HARD decisions and actions that are necessary to reverse the trend.

It's hard to see any hope in the future when you realize that's the case.

It’s still a noble gesture. Of course some fish don’t survive a hook, but more survive a hook than the ones who get bonked!

Point is it it comes down to were u are seeing closer..i would doubt very much a catch and release fishery will be in play..and your right about proper releasing but most don't practice or know :)

Catch and release Hali success really depends on how you are fishing. Circle hooks for bait would be a must do in order to reduce risk of deeply hooking a fish. A lot of people use treble hooks, which if ingested deeply would be very difficult to successfully remove. If cut off and left to hopefully fall out that would be a hit and miss prospect.

The only concern I have with the current 115/83 regulation is that the biology of this population of Hali is that the average age will be 13 years old. Many 13 year old fish will be larger than 115 cm. That means we will be seeing significantly higher releases and associated mortalities which are charged to our TAC eventually.

That stated, it is what it is. We all have to live with the decision and adapt to changing how we fish in order to target the small number of fish out there that will fall within the current regs. That means adapting other techniques and fishing locations. Enough crying over a decision that has long left the barn!

The only thing we now have control over is working within the SFAB process to influence different decisions next season. The past is the past, the future is the only thing we can affect.

A word of caution - we will see a significant reduction in TAC next year, so will face even more harsh measures to run a fishery that stays within the small TAC we will see in 2019.

Catch and release Hali success really depends on how you are fishing. Circle hooks for bait would be a must do in order to reduce risk of deeply hooking a fish. A lot of people use treble hooks, which if ingested deeply would be very difficult to successfully remove. If cut off and left to hopefully fall out that would be a hit and miss prospect.

The only concern I have with the current 115/83 regulation is that the biology of this population of Hali is that the average age will be 13 years old. Many 13 year old fish will be larger than 115 cm. That means we will be seeing significantly higher releases and associated mortalities which are charged to our TAC eventually.

That stated, it is what it is. We all have to live with the decision and adapt to changing how we fish in order to target the small number of fish out there that will fall within the current regs. That means adapting other techniques and fishing locations. Enough crying over a decision that has long left the barn!

The only thing we now have control over is working within the SFAB process to influence different decisions next season. The past is the past, the future is the only thing we can affect.

A word of caution - we will see a significant reduction in TAC next year, so will face even more harsh measures to run a fishery that stays within the small TAC we will see in 2019.
This size restriction is my biggest fear as the average size of the Halibut I caught last year was around 120 cm. To be releasing most of the halibut I catch seems silly because of the possibility of mortality.
This is why I voted for 1 fish max 133 in possession

Yeah Jencourt these me...me posts are getting tiring.
Let’s face facts, the biomass is shrinking. Get over it! Until the numbers start improving this is how it is.
The world and our fishery is changing right now, hopefully not forever but now is the time to try and correct things.

HIGHLY disagree with that statement. That attitude is exactly why we only have 15% and why we don’t get more. I know you’re highly “involved” and a statement like that worries me and I hope that’s not everyone’s thinking.

Also, pat, I never received an email?? Please send again if possible.

Last edited:

Not if we get our fair share, 25% Easier said than done though.

Not if we get our fair share, 25% Easier said than done though.

25% is not enough, dreaming in technicolour on that. What would a 30% reduction in the 2018 TAC look like? Canada was served notice that the 2019 TAC discussion will be around where to land the flaming plane of hurt...somewhere between 15% reduction to 30%. Our only saving grace might be that the science observations improve.

Further to that, I'm not seeing anyone step up to organize changes to how Canada apportions their TAC allocation....so for now I think we have to plan in terms of the status quo with respect to the 85/15, and even if we could change it there is a whole world of hurt just over the horizon if certain factions in the IPHC process get their way. HOPE NOT, but have to be realistic about what is in the cards potentially.

This size restriction is my biggest fear as the average size of the Halibut I caught last year was around 120 cm. To be releasing most of the halibut I catch seems silly because of the possibility of mortality.
This is why I voted for 1 fish max 133 in possession

Yes, and that was the view point some of us raised. Particularly because the data was clearly showing the average age of fish actually out there to catch is now 13 years...meaning, you won't see many fish under 115cm, unless you live and fish in areas where the smaller fish are more predominant - such as QCI (data shows clearly the average size of fish in QCI is vastly smaller than WCVI areas - particularly around the south Island. Voting for 2 small fish IMO was not going to match the available fish, making it more probable that Canada could actually leave rec TAC in the water. It was argued that all we had to do was change locations and go to the chicken ranches to troll them up. I would have agreed to that prior to last season which was an eye opener to how quickly the age/size composition was changing. For example, out on the traditional chicken ranch areas I fish we were not finding small fish as in prior seasons. In fact, we were trolling up fish well over the new 115cm size. Perhaps it was a one year shift, but what if it is not?

However, as stated earlier...it is what it is. The SFAB process is a democratic process and we have to respect the voices that spoke. We can't change it today, other than next year if you didn't like the 2 small fish, you best get involved and add your voice to question the Options Tables. Ask for 1 fish to be properly modelled. Ask for early input to see what various options look like so you can make your preferences well known.

We also need more robust data modelling to look at what a 1 fish option would do up in QCI for people on multiple day trips. My intel says that 70 to 80% of the guided guests are going home with their 2 fish. Added together those 2 fish are likely more TAC than a 1 fish option. If it was only 1, they might try to target larger fish, but in reality if they drag up a 30 pound fish that one is not getting released. My theory (hopefully backed up by data if we collect it) is that going to 1 fish will reduce the TAC.

You don't have to throw anything back as there is an experimental program now you buy 20 lbs of quota and you can keep any size and any amount you want above your sport fishing license

Yes, and that was the view point some of us raised. Particularly because the data was clearly showing the average age of fish actually out there to catch is now 13 years...meaning, you won't see many fish under 115cm, unless you live and fish in areas where the smaller fish are more predominant - such as QCI (data shows clearly the average size of fish in QCI is vastly smaller than WCVI areas - particularly around the south Island. Voting for 2 small fish IMO was not going to match the available fish, making it more probable that Canada could actually leave rec TAC in the water. It was argued that all we had to do was change locations and go to the chicken ranches to troll them up. I would have agreed to that prior to last season which was an eye opener to how quickly the age/size composition was changing. For example, out on the traditional chicken ranch areas I fish we were not finding small fish as in prior seasons. In fact, we were trolling up fish well over the new 115cm size. Perhaps it was a one year shift, but what if it is not?

However, as stated earlier...it is what it is. The SFAB process is a democratic process and we have to respect the voices that spoke. We can't change it today, other than next year if you didn't like the 2 small fish, you best get involved and add your voice to question the Options Tables. Ask for 1 fish to be properly modelled. Ask for early input to see what various options look like so you can make your preferences well known.

We also need more robust data modelling to look at what a 1 fish option would do up in QCI for people on multiple day trips. My intel says that 70 to 80% of the guided guests are going home with their 2 fish. Added together those 2 fish are likely more TAC than a 1 fish option. If it was only 1, they might try to target larger fish, but in reality if they drag up a 30 pound fish that one is not getting released. My theory (hopefully backed up by data if we collect it) is that going to 1 fish will reduce the TAC.

The last paragraph I can’t agree more with. I think a 1 fish limit would actually have a very large effect on up north poundage taken and I don’t think the models we saw in January really showed that at all, which doesn’t make sense.

25% is not enough, dreaming in technicolour on that. What would a 30% reduction in the 2018 TAC look like? Canada was served notice that the 2019 TAC discussion will be around where to land the flaming plane of hurt...somewhere between 15% reduction to 30%. Our only saving grace might be that the science observations improve.

Further to that, I'm not seeing anyone step up to organize changes to how Canada apportions their TAC allocation....so for now I think we have to plan in terms of the status quo with respect to the 85/15, and even if we could change it there is a whole world of hurt just over the horizon if certain factions in the IPHC process get their way. HOPE NOT, but have to be realistic about what is in the cards potentially.

I think and hope once the srkw restrictions are decided on organizations will begin to focus back on halibut. The economic effect of a one fish 50 lb max size for example would be very drastic on small towns, especially with continued rockfish and salmon restrictions (not to mention still no bump up back to 3 lingcod)

You don't have to throw anything back as there is an experimental program now you buy 20 lbs of quota and you can keep any size and any amount you want above your sport fishing license
Lol that is the best one liner I’ve heard in a long time! The whole program is a poachers dream...what a joke. Canadian rocket surgery in action.

Back