Halibut issue

In a number of areas around Vancouver Island and the LM. My question to you; Why does your direction have to be the only way? There is a myriad of people from all sectors whom are willing to help, they are interested in working together and they are interested in building long term relationships with all of the stakeholders who share in the use of common fishery resources of Canada. The big issue is that nothing can be accomplished without consensus. DFO will undoubtedly continue to arbitrarily make decisions without the consensus of all stakeholders, normally they will continue with the status quot. Without attitude, have you ever personally made an effort to reach out to any other sectors on behalf of your group? Have you compassionately listened to any of their concerns, or have you shared your concerns with them in a way that was non threatening? This is not, and never will be a short term solution. Everyone(all sectors) must realize this and be prepared to listen, and share.

I'll go thru it one more time- if you know me you would know I'm all about everyone sitting down and working it out.

As h-core as said:

Because all these "solutions" somehow revolve around the sport sector buying or leasing quota from the slipper skippers. It isn't going to happen!!!! There are many ways we could all come together to pressure DFO to do a better job, but as far as realocating quota goes there is no way in hell creating a third user group is a smart idea.

At this point this is about political will- the last resort, the corner that we have been pushed into-As I have asked you before -Please show me the where ,the what and how to get done what you are asking of people? At this point it has gone beyond that. " 7 years"

As Cuba Libre has very well pointed out-I quote

"And which fairytale have you been reading? We all sit around the campfire and sing Kumbya???? Wonder what would have happened in Egypt if they had taking your approach and tried to "Talk things out". ?

In a number of areas around Vancouver Island and the LM. My question to you; Why does your direction have to be the only way? There is a myriad of people from all sectors whom are willing to help, they are interested in working together and they are interested in building long term relationships with all of the stakeholders who share in the use of common fishery resources of Canada. The big issue is that nothing can be accomplished without consensus. DFO will undoubtedly continue to arbitrarily make decisions without the consensus of all stakeholders, normally they will continue with the status quot. Without attitude, have you ever personally made an effort to reach out to any other sectors on behalf of your group? Have you compassionately listened to any of their concerns, or have you shared your concerns with them in a way that was non threatening? This is not, and never will be a short term solution. Everyone(all sectors) must realize this and be prepared to listen, and share.

Well, as some have already stated your suggestion to sit down and have a meeting of the minds is a tad unrealistic in the past and current environment. There has been zero interest on the part of the commercial hali guys to work out any solution other than the sweet heart deal they got from DFO. Not much to motivate them to move in that direction either. A pipe dream if you think that has a snow ball's chance of success given the current battle lines. DD you seem to be alluding to some novel solution to all this happiness, but keep hiding behind "all will be revealed in due course." Frankly all the chirping promises is growing old as are the suggestions others are too narrowly focused in their pursuit of this issue. Seems we are developing a credibility problem here, and something that is suspiciously looking like nothing more than taking pot shots at the recreational sector to simply stir the pot.

Well, as some have already stated your suggestion to sit down and have a meeting of the minds is a tad unrealistic in the past and current environment. There has been zero interest on the part of the commercial hali guys to work out any solution other than the sweet heart deal they got from DFO. Not much to motivate them to move in that direction either. A pipe dream if you think that has a snow ball's chance of success given the current battle lines. DD you seem to be alluding to some novel solution to all this happiness, but keep hiding behind "all will be revealed in due course." Frankly all the chirping promises is growing old as are the suggestions others are too narrowly focused in their pursuit of this issue. Seems we are developing a credibility problem here, and something that is suspiciously looking like nothing more than taking pot shots at the recreational sector to simply stir the pot.

As much as I hate to do it... you are full of crap. The commies spent the last 2 years at the table with the sfab and FN trying to come up with ideas to find a long term solution. The only solution from SFAB to date is priority access or a fixed number of 1.7 mill and higher. I am sure there are those on here that agree with that approach but there is no way the commercial sector could buy in at those numbers.

Fishing Guide: I am curious where you come up with 1.8% would have made the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I hate to do it... you are full of crap. The commies spent the last 2 years at the table with the sfab and FN trying to come up with ideas to find a long term solution. The only solution from SFAB to date is priority access or a fixed number of 1.7 mill and higher. I am sure there are those on here that agree with that approach but there is no way the commercial sector could buy in at those numbers.

Fishing Guide: I am curious where you come up with 1.8% would have made the difference.

I got a better idea-Why don't the Sport fishers get the 88% and you can coming vist us with your hat in hand ;)

You are always in the better position no matter what we are talking about when you hold the cards or so you think.

So let me think you weren't even going to negotiate that number or any number because why should you ?
By god because we the commercial sector own it?

just thinking out aloud

LOL...
That would work! We could lease it to the commies and use the money for restoration and enhancement projects...... and lobby groups..;)

I got a better idea-Why don't the Sport fishers get the 88% and you can coming vist us with your hat in hand ;)

You are always in the better position no matter what we are talking about when you hold the cards or so you think.

So let me think you weren't even going to negotiate that number or any number because why should you ?
By god because we the commercial sector own it?

just thinking out aloud

mmm pretty hard to negotiate when the proposal was put forward at the 11th hour and was that far off.

Hey guys,
I here that DFO Ottawa is coming out for an announcement Tuesday at 9 a.m. Stay tuned......have they heard us or is the status quo going to continue? The tone of the Pitt Meadows town hall will be interesting depending on the announcement.

Hey Douche for All, do you really have no clue of what's been going on, or do you constantly contradict everything our side says in an attempt to discredit our cause? Please enlighten us how you earn your living? FWIW, I make mine in the sport tackle industry.

Hey Douche for All, do you really have no clue of what's been going on, or do you constantly contradict everything our side says in an attempt to discredit our cause? Please enlighten us how you earn your living? FWIW, I make mine in the sport tackle industry.

just trying to understand where the information comes from.

Well guys, I guess all our ideas fell on deaf ears. The Minister made her announcement and it may have as well been written by the Halibut Management Association. Either she is thick as a board or the other guys lobby efforts was just too hard to ignore. Apparently the fish don't belong to the public, they belong to the commercial guys! Yes, even those that don't own a boat, but own quota.

From the announcement it is quite obvious that they want to turn the Pacific Fishery into like it is on the East Coast, minimal public access. I've been in the business of supplying the angler (tin boat) for over 30 years and I have to tell you this is the worst I've felt through the many times the rec angler has had their rights trampled on by gov't. The only way to fix this was for the gov't to buy/lease quota to cover until the TAC got back up. But instead DFO has decided to play hardball and tick off 100,000 voters for the benefit of 435 quota holders of which some don't even live in B.C. The thousands of people in the service side that benefit from the rec angler have also been abandoned by gov't.

All I can say to Minister Shea and Mr. Kamp are what a disservice you have done to your electorate and the citizens of Canada. You should be ashamed but I doubt you will be as you have never understood us and have never shown a sincere interest in trying.

Good morning Mr.Fish4all,

Actually it was a well known fact that the commercial guys had there laywer's very close at hand during the last process.
If you are asking me for names -not a chance-I will tell you I know and trust where the info come from

So with the out come yesterday what is your spin?

Good morning Mr.Fish4all,

Actually it was a well known fact that the commercial guys had there laywer's very close at hand during the last process.
If you are asking me for names -not a chance-I will tell you I know and trust where the info come from

So with the out come yesterday what is your spin?

Well we have an opening date. That is a good start. Now when things calm down a bit there is a pile of work to start.

Personally I think there needs to be a combined effort to overturn the userfee act and to get the yanks on canadian guided vessels.

I am not intereseted in making a long post outining all my thoughts as it would fall on deaf ears at the moment.

Just for clarification the only lawyer that was present at the last process was the DFO lawyer.

Well we have an opening date. That is a good start. Now when things calm down a bit there is a pile of work to start.

Personally I think there needs to be a combined effort to overturn the userfee act and to get the yanks on canadian guided vessels.

I am not intereseted in making a long post outining all my thoughts as it would fall on deaf ears at the moment.

Just for clarification the only lawyer that was present at the last process was the DFO lawyer.

What we are you?

Just made an inquiry to this DFO inquiry number in Vic office 250-363-3252. Well and lo an behold they have no idea what is happening, odd!

We are so hooped, and will be planting tulips in our boats on the front lawn and tossing flies in the lake from our john boats in no time, that i am convinced of.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but you are smoking something that ain't legal my friend. firstly the americans are only here in Canada fishing "their" fish. The west coast fishery would be a flop but for the american fish you and i have the pleasure of catching. As much as your idea to force american guests to have to be guide would benefit me directly, I cannot agree with it. The economic impact to Canadian businesses would be crushing...think about it.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but you are smoking something that ain't legal my friend. firstly the americans are only here in Canada fishing "their" fish. The west coast fishery would be a flop but for the american fish you and i have the pleasure of catching. As much as your idea to force american guests to have to be guide would benefit me directly, I cannot agree with it. The economic impact to Canadian businesses would be crushing...think about it.

As I understand it the issue is with US sport boats which come across the border at sea and take approximately 100,000 lbs of halibut a year without ever landing at a Canadian port thereby contributing nothing to the Canadian economy. What is particularly upsetting is that the US has laws in place that make doing this in reverse essentially impossible for Canadians, so it is a one way street.

Now if our politicians and DFO had already addressed this inequity by treating the Americans the same way; that 100,000 lbs of halibut would have gone a fair ways in the Canadian recreational halibut fishery last year. Just another example of DFO and the politicians dropping the ball. But we all know DFO’s only real mandate is to promote fish farms and give away our wild fish to private ownership who now want us to buy it back or lease it from them, - unfreaking believable.

Back