Halibut: Good news

Bod

Halibut opened on March 1st. Good news! Not really.
It would have been better for me if it opened on Feb. 1st - December 31.
1 per day and 2 possession, Good News! Not really.
2 per day and 3 posssession would have been better.
Getting the Rec quota increased to 15%, Good news. Not really.
20% or more would have been better.

My friend Bob was able to come to Bamfield for the weekend. Good news! Yes. We tried to Hali fish on the Saturday But the 4 meter seas were just a little to much for Bob. The effects of his stroke have left him a little unstable, and his stamina is not what it once was. We salvaged the day by running into the "back door " and getting a limit of springs bettween 6 - 17 pounds, with many small ones released.
Sunday morning found us right at the harbour mouth and 9 springs later we headed for the dock with out killing a single one, as we had done great the day before. 60 knot wind kept us off the water today.
Bob will be back in September.
Thanks to SFI, SFAB, WCFGA, James Lunney and others who have attended countless meeting and spent countless hours on behalf of Joe average Bob should be able to fish for Halibut in September.
Ken

Lorne might argue that..........just saying

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not sure what arue means. lol.

Great post Ken. I very much hope your buddy does get to fish this september. I wish you and Shawn a great season.

Thanks to SFI, SFAB, WCFGA, James Lunney and others who have attended countless meeting and spent countless hours on behalf of Joe average Bob should be able to fish for Halibut in September.
Ken

I agree. Thank you.

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
x2 my thoughts exactly

Damn !!
nice work Bodaly , did ya bump inta Searun , told me he was heading over the past wknd..
see ya soon

fd

Halibut opened on March 1st. Good news! Not really.
It would have been better for me if it opened on Feb. 1st - December 31.
1 per day and 2 possession, Good News! Not really.
2 per day and 3 posssession would have been better.
Getting the Rec quota increased to 15%, Good news. Not really.
20% or more would have been better.

My friend Bob was able to come to Bamfield for the weekend. Good news! Yes. We tried to Hali fish on the Saturday But the 4 meter seas were just a little to much for Bob. The effects of his stroke have left him a little unstable, and his stamina is not what it once was. We salvaged the day by running into the "back door " and getting a limit of springs bettween 6 - 17 pounds, with many small ones released.
Sunday morning found us right at the harbour mouth and 9 springs later we headed for the dock with out killing a single one, as we had done great the day before. 60 knot wind kept us off the water today.
Bob will be back in September.
Ken

Yep, similar report. Our biggest was 18 and 12. The other's were small. Nice run home across Imperial Eagle - man am I glad I drive a fat bottom girl. That afternoon wind change was special!! Best for us was the 3.5 inch kingfisher spoon. Tried bait, never got a bump on it. We pulled the traps and got 200 or so bugs, not a good set for us. I need to venture a little further from home. Sure glad I wasn't out there today - wouldn't have needed to burn any gas to go home with the wind at your back.

Good post ken for sure... This decision had to be made and in the end if we all get to go hali fishn in sept it is a win for everyone. Things still need to change but atleast we can look forward to hali in september..

You missed the thread title FD. This is the good news thread! I'm not going to be in a hurry to put my winter Hali in the freezer. I'll be fishing them in September.
Now if I could get some weather I would go get one to eat....

Here's an exerpt from an American fishing site. We aren't the only ones that face challenges....excuse the profanity

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Everyone ******* about the tribes and there shares, but when are we as a community going to fight the feds and the tribes to get back what is just as much ours as is theirs?

I agree that it is 100% BS but seriously, the fight needs to get off the internet and into the federal court system. Us bitching every ******* year and sitting on our hands does nothing. What's it going to take for us to battle the tribes? It will be a long battle and a hard one but at some point we have to and not expect someone else to do it for us.

Soooo........What's it going to take people? If we wait for the right president to come along to do this, we will all have dies and I'm sure our children will have passed as well. Ron, Kevin....anyone that knows how to right this BS up and get it to the right people want to head this up? Or are people too scared to have their names attached to it? **** it, someone type it up and I will put my name on it and have no problem taking the time to battle these stupid rules that we get ****** on every year.

Let's get political ASAP!!

Good to see someone on this site actually getting out Fishin! I think alot of people need to look at how heavily regulated the southern states (oreg, wash, Cali) are to realize things could be worse. We can still keep wild springs, fish hali longer than a week ect.

GOOD THREAD!! I am very happy with the new decisions for halibut ! Clients, friends and family from AB and SK mostly will ALL be able to come and see me during the summer and have the opportunity to catch and keep a halibut when the water is good and fishing better. Thanx to all who voiced their opinions, wrote letters attended meetings and made phone calls.....I believe this is for the greater good SHORT term and benifits the majority, as I also believe this had to have been the general concensus of the fishing public otherwise it would not come into effect and we would ALL not be keeping a halibut past Aug.

GOOD THREAD!! I am very happy with the new decisions for halibut ! Clients, friends and family from AB and SK mostly will ALL be able to come and see me during the summer and have the opportunity to catch and keep a halibut when the water is good and fishing better. Thanx to all who voiced their opinions, wrote letters attended meetings and made phone calls.....I believe this is for the greater good SHORT term and benifits the majority, as I also believe this had to have been the general concensus of the fishing public otherwise it would not come into effect and we would ALL not be keeping a halibut past Aug.
Are you kidding me? This is for the greater good? WTF. This is only good for the SFAB. It was all self serving for them. This is a VERY dangerous road that the SFAB has taken us on and will probably be the future of the Halibut fishery for years to come. Until they come up with a new way to decease it even more. I will not support any further SFAB plans in the future. The next time you SFAB members have a option please keep it to yourselves.

Are you kidding me? This is for the greater good? WTF. This is only good for the SFAB. It was all self serving for them. This is a VERY dangerous road that the SFAB has taken us on and will probably be the future of the Halibut fishery for years to come. Until they come up with a new way to decease it even more. I will not support any further SFAB plans in the future. The next time you SFAB members have a option please keep it to yourselves.

yer a sucker for divide and conquer,, sheeple make me puke, fish halibut,eat halibut,continue fighting for halibut for all canadians,,read my sig line....

Get A grip Casper, you never supported them to begin with. You only support your own self interests! Your gonna hear about the sfab on this site so you might as well go play with your hali dick!

Get A grip Casper, you never supported them to begin with. You only support your own self interests! Your gonna hear about the sfab on this site so you might as well go play with your hali dick!
Your wrong I have been to the meeting when I have been able to. And what self interests would those be the 4-5 halibut that I take home a year, give your head a shake. Yes I'm sure I will hear more form the SFAB just hope that it is better than this slot size halibut thing.

yer a sucker for divide and conquer,, sheeple make me puke, fish halibut,eat halibut,continue fighting for halibut for all canadians,,read my sig line....
Don't want divide and conquer attitude either. Just what to fish.

This is the good news thread! I am glad that being as my wife and two daughters have a difficult time with seasickness, and in recent years on good days got the halibut bug, that as I have time for them in August, They can catch and keep a Butt. Pretty cool in MY view, hats off to SportFishAdvisoryBoard. In no way I see this as a "dangerous road", lol what is that suposed to mean anyways? sharpcurve ? potholes? what? The Tac will be under control this year and we'll be at a fresh start next year. Limits will be back to normal unless someother numbers change.

Back