HALIBUT CLOSURE

A blockade as Spring Velocity states is more likely to backfire because we would be perceived by the public as just a greedy bunch wanting to continue to over fish the ocean stocks to even lower levels. You have the SRKW issue going on right now with not enough Chinook salmon to feed them....it will all get intertwined by the media. Just interview a couple of rednecks and the whole effort and message is lost. As Chris 73 says join an advocacy group that speaks on your behalf on the issues you want to be brought forward. SVIAC was mentioned by Serengeti...this group started and concentrates on the south Island because this is where the most severe restrictions on the recreational fishery exist. This group decided to be proactive and not just sit back and watch our local fisheries become increasingly more restrictive and watch fish populations continue to decline without a fight. Why not start a NVIAC? Local people with local knowledge working on local issues. Is that not what you would want? Obviously there would be cross over on many issues (Fraser River Chinook for one) and the groups could work together on those and become an even stronger unified voice.

I honestly can say I think this is a **** poor post. One BC wide is million times more powerful than a bunch of smaller advocacy groups. That’s just a fact.

And a blockade would not backfire...it gets attention on the subject which there is zero of now. That’s the key. You frame it as jimmy Pattison vs the average joe Canadian. The more spotlight on the subject mattter the better. Period.

Keep just doing the status quo and the “process”. See how that’s working for us....

Last edited:
I’m sorry, I’m trying to learn on this subject as it will be my first season going for hali’s. I just don’t understand why Jim Pattison owns all of the halibut in BC. If somebody would send me a link to an article or website I would appreciate it.

I’m sorry, I’m trying to learn on this subject as it will be my first season going for hali’s. I just don’t understand why Jim Pattison owns all of the halibut in BC. If somebody would send me a link to an article or website I would appreciate it.

As it now stands the commercial sector (Pattison)
get 85% of the TAC and the recreational sector get 15%.
don't try and understand it, it will drive you crazy !

Or we could stop buying licenses. Hard to get everyone behind it but there’d be some eyes opened if Sportfishers followed all the regs but none bought licenses.

Or we could stop buying licenses. Hard to get everyone behind it but there’d be some eyes opened if Sportfishers followed all the regs but none bought licenses.

Holding a valid licence is a condition of salt water fishing,
DFO would be writing lots of tickets !

My thought on it is for us to fill up the TAC as quickly as possible. Money makes the most noise.

Once the big Lodges are forced to stop fishing for Halibut in July they will fight the fight on our behalf. They have the deep pockets and would know how to make the waves.

Honestly the government doesn't care until it effects revinue.

The media would be all over it if the Lodges had to shut down 1/2 way through the season.

That's my plan this year.

My thought on it is for us to fill up the TAC as quickly as possible. Money makes the most noise.

Once the big Lodges are forced to stop fishing for Halibut in July they will fight the fight on our behalf. They have the deep pockets and would know how to make the waves.

Honestly the government doesn't care until it effects revinue.

The media would be all over it if the Lodges had to shut down 1/2 way through the season.

That's my plan this year.
That doesn’t seem fair to the people that can only get their time off in August or September

I honestly can say I think this is a **** poor post. One BC wide is million times more powerful than a bunch of smaller advocacy groups. That’s just a fact.

Yep in this day and age we need a large group that we can all get behind and funnel lots of capital too.

Maybe block the Lions Gate Bridge or the causeway during rush hour, that always get a a lot of sympathy.....
It's always a fine line though isn't it? Getting the point across while not infuriating your fellow citizens . Personally I'm not a fan of big demonstrations, maybe as a means of last resort,but the media loves them.

That doesn’t seem fair to the people that can only get their time off in August or September
I agree, but arguably shutting down at short notice on Labour Day like they did last year was hardly fair to those who couldn't get their time off in the summer.

Sorry but in my mind the only thing not "Fair" is a few rich people having control of what I believe to be a public resource. As I stated earlier if we continue to do what we have done for years soon there will be no need to own a sport fishing boat. Everyone who sport fishes, lodge's, once a year, dedicated fishermen, guides and every license holder must be a united front. Is there no court action that can be done?

I expect a stream of posts next about what reduction people will settle for, then the arguments will start and our commercial guys will laugh.

HM

Serengetti..until there are more boots on the ground and there is a lot more money in the bank...it ain't going to happen. If you want effective coast wide representation at all the important meeting tables, get out your wallet. SVIAC doesn't have the manpower or the financial resources to take that job on. (effectively)

Yep in this day and age we need a large group that we can all get behind and funnel lots of capital too.
If we had the money to hire a full time lobbyist in Ottawa we maybe have a chance to quota away from the slipper skippers

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with what is fair. If I'm allowed six Halibut a year live in Vancouver so can only bring one back for six trips is not fair either but since your closer to the fishery thats not an issue for you. Fair is fair or isn't it?

Any announcement on when Halibut Season opens this year???

"It was a rare failure of negotiations by the commission that regulates the catch of the prized flatfish pursued by sport, commercial and tribal fishermen in waters off California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia and Alaska.

Absent an agreement for 2018, the commission’s catch levels set for 2017 will remain in place for this year."

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...l-to-agree-on-cuts-to-annual-halibut-harvest/

If we had the money to hire a full time lobbyist in Ottawa we maybe have a chance to quota away from the slipper skippers

See there is one person that truly gets it. Right there is what we need to focus on.

It is only done with an advocacy group like SFI , SVIAC or BCWF. SFAB/SFAC is an advisory process. In order for it to happen everyone needs to pay for it.

Last edited:
Back