HALIBUT CLOSURE

Can't speak for area 19 but I'm looking at the data for area 2B for past few years and Sept is definitely not #2.

#1 - July
#2 - August
#3 - June
#4 - Sept
#5 - May

March, April, Feb are almost all identical with 17,000lbs or so...and Oct on is almost negligible.

See area 19 data now and it is definitely more spread out, one of only areas though. Also would like to say they try and say 3,000 lbs is taken from area 11/12 in Hardy in Feb and I can almost guarantee that is not true.

Humble apologies, David is correct I made a calculation error. Here's the numbers based on last 3 years which are more reflective of the actual demand based on how the fishery has evolved:

1. July 1132K
2. Aug 841K
3. June 725K
4. Sept 147K ** Note 2017 only had 6 days.
5. May 137K

Thats the catch including iRec at 50p.

Thanks from the Report, Not sure why the SFAB members could not share this if its public data? Whats the SFAB proposal to DFO?

For 2018, the SFAB is considering various management options they may recommend to DFO. These options include considering changes to:
• Minimum and Maximum size limits
• Individual annual limits
• Daily and total possession limits
• Season length
• Time and area closures

It was not a secret, in fact the SFAB did not send out this to its members.

All you had to do is look on the IPHC site.
They put it up.

It was not a secret, in fact the SFAB did not send out this to its members.

All you had to do is look on the IPHC site.
They put it up.
And by my count this link to the report has be posted on this thread at least 5 times in the last 2 weeks. correction.. this last week.

Last edited:
Great, possible they will read it.
They are the same SFAB volunteers that travelled to Oregon for an entertaining week to represent Canada in the IPHC process...so, I expect "they" are intimately familiar with all the data. Those same volunteers will spend 3 days over this weekend to review the various options. I think if you sat in on a SFAB meeting, you would quickly see that the expertise in the room is pretty amazing. The rec community is pretty blessed to have those folks on our side.

These are very difficult decisions to reach. The goal is to hopefully find a regulations choice that helps spread the available TAC in a way that meets the widest possible interests of anglers across the entire coast. As always, the challenge is the seemingly impossible task of crafting a single choice that will keep everyone happy.

Next step is the SFAB will review and decide upon a recommendation to DFO this weekend. The Department will review that, and finalize their decision (usually within a week), and you will have your announcement as to season length and regulations because DFO has to be print it as a "condition" of your tidal license, which is in place for the entire season. Everyone involved is working to tight timelines - IPHC TAC announcement Jan 26, IFMP Feb 6, Tidal licenses have to be printed (yes, still some paper copies) and condition of license must be on them ahead of the season (April 1).

The IPHC posts up all the data - its an open process, so I agree OBD that it is pretty redundant to re-send the information. If you want to attend either the SFAB or IPHC process both are open to the public.

If anyone is unhappy with the halibut opportunities available to them, strongly suggest you focus effort on lobbying your Prime Minister, who will be holding an Open House at VIU in Nanaimo on Friday Feb 2! He needs to see a large turn out of recreational anglers making it known that 15% isn't enough TAC under any abundance level to ensure we can all enjoy the kind of fishery we once did.

They are the same SFAB volunteers that travelled to Oregon for an entertaining week to represent Canada in the IPHC process...so, I expect "they" are intimately familiar with all the data. Those same volunteers will spend 3 days over this weekend to review the various options. I think if you sat in on a SFAB meeting, you would quickly see that the expertise in the room is pretty amazing. The rec community is pretty blessed to have those folks on our side.

These are very difficult decisions to reach. The goal is to hopefully find a regulations choice that helps spread the available TAC in a way that meets the widest possible interests of anglers across the entire coast. As always, the challenge is the seemingly impossible task of crafting a single choice that will keep everyone happy.

Next step is the SFAB will review and decide upon a recommendation to DFO this weekend. The Department will review that, and finalize their decision (usually within a week), and you will have your announcement as to season length and regulations because DFO has to be print it as a "condition" of your tidal license, which is in place for the entire season. Everyone involved is working to tight timelines - IPHC TAC announcement Jan 26, IFMP Feb 6, Tidal licenses have to be printed (yes, still some paper copies) and condition of license must be on them ahead of the season (April 1).

The IPHC posts up all the data - its an open process, so I agree OBD that it is pretty redundant to re-send the information. If you want to attend either the SFAB or IPHC process both are open to the public.

If anyone is unhappy with the halibut opportunities available to them, strongly suggest you focus effort on lobbying your Prime Minister, who will be holding an Open House at VIU in Nanaimo on Friday Feb 2! He needs to see a large turn out of recreational anglers making it known that 15% isn't enough TAC under any abundance level to ensure we can all enjoy the kind of fishery we once did.

Interesting reply to a post that had nothing to do with anything other than a request by Wildmanyeah.

I note that a number of people were quoting numbers , some wrong!

So, I do not know what your concern is with my reply to the request?

And there in lies the problem. The time lines do not allow for proper consultation with the public , especially through local SFACs. All we can do is sit back and accept what the SFAB has recommended to DFO. Well, that is NOT full consultation. At the very least there should be adequate time so that the recommendations that the parent body ( SFAB) puts forward are vetted locally. Further, there should be a mechanism for Joe Six Pack , who for whatever reason, chooses not or cannot attend local SFAC meetings to express his/her opinion on "options" . ( And yes-- Searun, I AM involved at the local level and see the hard work our volunteers do to come up with workable solutions. The time frame we work through needs improving. )

As Searun has pointed out we have a timeline this year and every year that is very short.
IPHC TAC announcement Jan 26, season open April 1.
The trick is to get the data that is needed to make consultation possible.
Here is what I suggest.

1- DFO should be able to give us the Recreation TAC right after we know what the Canadian TAC is. This number is based on last years over/under and this years mortalitys. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be a preliminary number something that we can work with.

2- DFO should release to SFAB the excel model that is used to calculate (predict) what options the Rec sector are for the upcoming season. If the model changes or we get new options that can be handled by the SFAB Halibut Working Group. They could pass the new model or data back to the SFAC's. Giving the SFAC's a PDF while helpful just slows the process.

The point is that at least we could get a jump start on the consultation with the SFAC's and share the info on sites like this. Everyone would know that the data is preliminary but at least we could start looking at it.

And there in lies the problem. The time lines do not allow for proper consultation with the public , especially through local SFACs. All we can do is sit back and accept what the SFAB has recommended to DFO. Well, that is NOT full consultation. At the very least there should be adequate time so that the recommendations that the parent body ( SFAB) puts forward are vetted locally. Further, there should be a mechanism for Joe Six Pack , who for whatever reason, chooses not or cannot attend local SFAC meetings to express his/her opinion on "options" . ( And yes-- Searun, I AM involved at the local level and see the hard work our volunteers do to come up with workable solutions. The time frame we work through needs improving. )

One of my main issues as well. Every year tac is different so to say consulted in fall means nothing as didn’t even know tac

And there in lies the problem. The time lines do not allow for proper consultation with the public , especially through local SFACs. All we can do is sit back and accept what the SFAB has recommended to DFO. Well, that is NOT full consultation. At the very least there should be adequate time so that the recommendations that the parent body ( SFAB) puts forward are vetted locally. Further, there should be a mechanism for Joe Six Pack , who for whatever reason, chooses not or cannot attend local SFAC meetings to express his/her opinion on "options" . ( And yes-- Searun, I AM involved at the local level and see the hard work our volunteers do to come up with workable solutions. The time frame we work through needs improving. )[/QUOTE]

Any actionable ideas on how we can change when the IPHC holds their meeting, and when DFO renews the licenses? That controls the timeline, not the SFAB.

At the moment we have to deal with what is, not what we would like to see the timeline to be. Great that you are involved (thank you!!), and I wish more than anything that we could somehow change those timelines.

BTW, all the SFAC's were asked to provide input on 2 things for Halibut Planning.

First there was a motion passed that asked each of the SFAC's to provide input on the current guiding principles that the Halibut WG must follow when determining which regulations option they recommend - the motion was asking to open up the choices to allow greater flexibility for just the situation we are facing today (not nearly enough TAC).

Second, all the SFAC's were asked for their options preferences in advance of the IPHC because it is physically impossible to gather in all the SFAC's between the IPHC TAC announcement and the SFAB Main Board meeting 6 days later. Bearing in mind, DFO needs time to work on modelling the options once they know the TAC...that is 2 or 3 day window prior to when the Halibut WG has to meet prior to the SFAB MB meeting. The options tables are still under development as of today, and the MB meeting is Friday.

The time crunch as you know, is imposed by the Department's need to get the conditions of license onto the 2018 licenses.

And, another plug....if you don't like this situation, I strongly encourage you to be at the Prime Minister's Nanaimo Town Hall meeting this Friday Feb 2 to let your concerns be known about 85/15!

Gotta get some signs made up in regards to needing 25% not 15 for Friday... :cool:
Great idea!! Unfortunately I will have to be in Richmond at SFAB meeting - will be encouraging WCFGA members to be in attendance to respectfully welcome the Prime Minister to the conversation around the recreational fishery.

You’re an idiot and a **** detective. Someone speaks up and that’s your reply. I’d be more creative with my username and also wouldn’t rip apart my own poll ...
I thought the poll was started by Wildmanyeah on another thread. I guess that thread is not appreciated.

I thought the poll was started by Wildmanyeah on another thread. I guess that thread is not appreciated.

I think you missed what I was saying. I thought poll wasn’t what it should of been and commented that on other thread. Wouldn’t say that if I was the one who made it.

Anyway...
Back to on topic.

Heard rumour it’s something like 120cm/80cm.... experimental use will sky rocket. Mark my words and then we really will never get any more %. That’d be the dumbest thing we could do is make it 50lbs/ 10lbs. Keeping a second fish for a 6-10 lb fish. Holy Jesus.

Perfect example of how smaller max size increases experimental quota used is Alaska. 2C max size was 35lbs or so and they used over 45,000 lbs last year of it. Area 3A had no max on one and way more fishermen and used 3,000 of it.

Dfo is trying to force us into it and we will be playing right into their hands if we do a reg like this ... it’d be asinine.

Back