Halibut: Bad News

Call me a little late to the party, but has there been an "official" protest by rec guys or even regular Canadians about the distribution and regulations? I'm talking about an organized rally to try to garner some media coverage to raise awareness. May help.

Sent from my HTC

"Call me a little late to the party, but has there been an "official" protest by rec guys"

in a word---YES

Where do you live???? The lobbying and protests have been taking place for YEARS!! But the politicians didnt listen..

First things first.I need to see a link to some information. What is the direct link where DFO has the exact date for a halibut fishing closure for the sportfishing sector of BC. I dont recall seeing one yet.

islandgirl if you think the guides are in it for them selves you better think twice
1-guides want to be on the water as long as possible also longer season are better for them. aslo take into account weather starts to get nasty offshore the longer season may not be the best option
2-guides take sport fishermen/fisherwomen fishing why the H E L L would they not look out for the best interest of the sportfisherman/women this is what there business depends on ?
3-SFI looks out for all recreation fisherman and guides
4- we all are recreational fishemen there is nothing in it for the guides only
5-it is impossible for everyone to be happy there is too much diversity in different areas but we all want to fish halibut
hopefully in time we all can create a better fishery for everyone

I signed off from the forum years ago i still cant believe how devided we are as sporties and the mount of drama on here
there is so much incorrect information on here and some good information I really hope in future we all are working together

How many people who post on here are part of the halibut working group - the IPHC ??
would be suprised if 1 is

Last edited by a moderator:
15 lb halibut. Maybe this will open a whole new halibut fly fishery. That's smaller than most of the salmon I catch.

islandgirl if you think the guides are in it for them selves you better think twice
1-guides want to be on the water as long as possible also longer season are better for them.
You just contradicted yourself....and presented the truth.

I've just edited some posts. SFBC is under close scruitiny right now, we will not be a springboard for cival disobedience.

Nor to we want concrete blocks dropped in front of our offices... I'm afraid there is only one midnight crane truck available on the island, and it's been booked as of March 1..

I have said this before and will say it again. First, sports fishermen absolutely need a body or organization to represent OUR interests. This will take some organization at our level and can be done. As with our Allocation, this needs thorough researching as there is a reasonable chance it may be illegal but we, as sports fishermen, need impartial information and then need a strategy to do something about it. Given our numbers we represent the biggest presence at the table. Piggybacking our interest on the backs of others and expecting our interests to be on the same level of importance is stupid. Our needs will take a back seat until we mobilize. Until then we will take the crumbs while others feed at the table.

I have said this before and will say it again. First, sports fishermen absolutely need a body or organization to represent OUR interests. This will take some organization at our level and can be done. As with our Allocation, this needs thorough researching as there is a reasonable chance it may be illegal but we, as sports fishermen, need impartial information and then need a strategy to do something about it. Given our numbers we represent the biggest presence at the table. Piggybacking our interest on the backs of others and expecting our interests to be on the same level of importance is stupid. Our needs will take a back seat until we mobilize. Until then we will take the crumbs while others feed at the table.

Well said!

This size restriction is something that the SFAB (Sports FishingGuide Advisory Board) came up with on their own to benefit a very small group of guides.

The 100,000 recreational anglers were never consulted or advised.
This was then presented to DFO.
The SFAB said they "did not have time" to consult with us, the average Rec fisherman.

It is this backroom deal to benefit a few that has people fired up.
It undermines our entire focus of getting a FAIR share of Canada's halibut allocation.

This may be bit of a stupid question but does the BC Sportfishing Institute represent the sportfishing sector? Yes, No, Sorta?

If not, is there any existing group out there or do we have to form our own?

B.C Wildlife federation

Is that a rhetorical question. Look at their recent decisions and ask yourself that question. It should but in recent years has been a mouthpiece for guides. Personally I think we need our interests to be true to us and not watered down. The same goes for the guides. The ones I have met are great passionate spokespeople for the resource but they need their interests to be framed so they will have continued access to the resource and must be able to make money. But with those caveats we need a direct input. We are not in this to make money.

This may be bit of a stupid question but does the BC Sportfishing Institute represent the sportfishing sector? Yes, No, Sorta?

If not, is there any existing group out there or do we have to form our own?

I am working on an answer for that one.

In the mean time I urge everyone to call minister Keith Ashfield's office.
1-506 452-4110

Let him know your interests as a REC fisherman have not been considered in the SFAB proposal to go to size limits.

B.C Wildlife federation
I'm not discounting them at all as I think they are a great group. However, they have a lot on there plate and represent all outdoors people. Fisherman, hunters, campers etc. I'm pretty sure you guys didnt consult them with your recommendation? We need something more front line and in the now imo.

I'm not discounting them at all as I think they are a great group. However, they have a lot on there plate and represent all outdoors people. Fisherman, hunters, campers etc. I'm pretty sure you guys didnt consult them with your recommendation? We need something more front line and in the now imo.

They are well respected and well represent in all the process.... my 2 bits

Others have posted this and I'm looking at it right now.
http://www.bcwf.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=472&Itemid=763

Sounds good. I think the spots fishermen have taken one too many punches.

The BCWF has been involved in making of this decision at a SFAC level...as I have said before this is a excellent organization with great people that have & will continue to carry forward the voice of the general public... Question... I know some of you are members how many are not?

Back