Halibut: Bad News

Not. Guessing need to join and become involved!

I am working on an answer for that one.

In the mean time I urge everyone to call minister Keith Ashfield's office.
1-506 452-4110

Let him know your interests as a REC fisherman have not been considered in the SFAB proposal to go to size limits.

Island girl you should join the IPHC see you are able do something for us sporties Lets see you get us 2 a day and 3 in possession for next year
forget calling minister get involved put in your opinions and put in countless hours and days of your personal time or call the SFI or contact your local SFAB
did i mention that all these people that volunteer to make our fishery are not paid are you one to call and complain or one to go out and get involved ?

hilarious to think we sporties didnt have a say and to assume guides made the decision

LOrneparker1 yes there was the VI area BCWF rep at the last SFAB and he definatley was on the sporties side he has worked way harder than you can even think or imagine on this hali topic I think he aged 10 years with all the work he has done in the last year It was a full-time job just dealing with meeting at IPHC & SFAB
the options get complicated quickly and if for one second you think you are not represented like the rest of us sportfisherman maybe you should call the BCWF and ask them call SFI the SFAB process represents sportfisherman and you area should have one go to the meetings check it out
so there is something in the front line and now you should go and you can contribute to the front line and now

Until any of you take some time off from your day job and get involved you really need to get educated on the complicated process

that last statement is a problem rite there Pursuit, "complicated process"....why does it have to be so complicated?.....holmes*

because that is just the way it is when dealing with the government..not saying it's right .....it's just the way.... :)

Island girl you should join the IPHC see you are able do something for us sporties Lets see you get us 2 a day and 3 in possession for next year

Pretty sure IPHC dose not set seasons and nor do they have anything to do with how dfo allocates the TAC.

Correct me if I am wrong?

well that has to change my friend...i hate it when things are "just the way it is"....doesnt fly with this kid, if the status quo is slow, arduous and innefficient, well, they simply need to be improved, innovated, or scraped and reworked so they are as efficient as possible....i'm always working on a better mouse trap...:)...holmes*

Agree...when you getter her done let me know.... :)

forget calling minister get involved put in your opinions and put in countless hours and days of your personal time or call the SFI or contact your local SFAB
did i mention that all these people that volunteer to make our fishery are not paid are you one to call and complain or one to go out and get involved ?

hilarious to think we sporties didnt have a say and to assume guides made the decision

LOrneparker1 yes there was the VI area BCWF rep at the last SFAB and he definatley was on the sporties side he has worked way harder than you can even think or imagine on this hali topic I think he aged 10 years with all the work he has done in the last year It was a full-time job just dealing with meeting at IPHC & SFAB
the options get complicated quickly and if for one second you think you are not represented like the rest of us sportfisherman maybe you should call the BCWF and ask them call SFI the SFAB process represents sportfisherman and you area should have one go to the meetings check it out
so there is something in the front line and now you should go and you can contribute to the front line and now

Until any of you take some time off from your day job and get involved you really need to get educated on the complicated process

Hey bud, Next time you go on a rant about education, try educating your self. Ive been to the last 2 SFAB meetings (they dont happen very often and truthfully ive only been involved in the last 12 months at all when any of this) In my defense I have only lived here for 3 years. MOST people that were present at the SFAB meetings here in the comox valley on the rec side of things are on this board. NONE OF US knew this was coming till it was to late. I feel i am pretty educated on the subject and i do contribute to the front line. And the more i learn how i can impact a result in this scam, the more motivated i ge. The problem we have is WE WERE BACKDOORED!~!! Right in the butt with no lube or warning. Im glad there was a bwcf rep at the last meeting. I assume you are talking about SFAB in nanaimo. 1 of a few 'roll out" meetings. Meaning "this is what just happened" and now we have to deal with it. I wasnt there, but i can only assume thats how it went. We are having one of those as well in the next week or so. Very valuable when the decision was already made. I have not talked to one sporty, online or in person that new this was coming before it was pretty much a done deal. Ps. IPHC doesnt set our limits. so im not sure how joining them would get us to 2/3? Again before you go spouting off at the yap, learn a thing or 2.

Lorne...tell me how we are going to manage this halibut within our cap this year? We will have to stay within our 15%..there will be no overages... no extra fish will be give to us...
All those involved in this 1 over 1 under are very reasonable people with years of experience....BCWF, SFI & other groups, SFAC & the SFAB process...these groups and people who you have trust up today, have served you well and have work very hard to get us to were we are today....... with results I might ..... So suddenly you think they would do something to stiff the average angler & one up on the other group??? Remember theses are all the same people that have been working hard at this for many many years....I really think not Lorne.... This is just a tempary measure so that everyone and I mean everyone can go out catch some halibut for the table..... I might add that the halibut issue is far from over and I believe there will be more good things to come...... :)

Derby, you either continue to miss, or choose to ignore, Lorne's and many other's point that the fundamental issue is not what the solution is but whether a solution, as opposed to a strong stand in opposition, should have been considered at all. The risk and likely consequences, not to mention the hypocrisy, of such activities have been articulated quite clearly a number of times on this and many other halibut management related threads. As such, until such time as you, and others, at least acknowledge the valid points made regarding the very real risk of entrenching the ITQ and the rec share, rather than simply ignoring them and pretending they don't exist, further intelligible discussion on the matter isn't possible.

It's not surprising so many rec anglers on this site feel alienated by what has transpired given that the typical response given completely ignores the concerns that are raised and instead continually trumpets the same line that a solution this year "HAD" to be made. By all means, disagree, but do so by addressing the concerns raised not by avoiding and ignoring them.

Respectfully, Ukee Dreamin

Derby, you either continue to miss, or choose to ignore, Lorne's and many other's point that the fundamental issue is not what the solution is but whether a solution, as opposed to a strong stand in opposition, should have been considered at all. The risk and likely consequences, not to mention the hypocrisy, of such activities have been articulated quite clearly a number of times on this and many other halibut management related threads. As such, until such time as you, and others, at least acknowledge the valid points made regarding the very real risk of entrenching the ITQ and the rec share, rather than simply ignoring them and pretending they don't exist, further intelligible discussion on the matter isn't possible.

It's not surprising so many rec anglers on this site feel alienated by what has transpired given that the typical response given completely ignores the concerns that are raised and instead continually trumpets the same line that a solution this year "HAD" to be made. By all means, disagree, but do so by addressing the concerns raised not by avoiding and ignoring them.

Respectfully, Ukee Dreamin

What a great post and 100% aligned with my and many many others. Said alot more tactfully then me, but the point is the same. I expect to see alot more tin boaters getting involved, and the beast has finally been awoken.

from my perspective it is apparent that NOTHING will change in the foreseeable future. At least until the next election, So lets not start fighting amongst ourselves. I am not happy with the 1/2 decision either, but I will not look for wood to burn the volunteers who have spent many, many hours trying to get a decent deal for us.

Who said no extra fish will be given to us? Haven't read that anywhere. We went over by 270,000 or something like that last year and the people above made that happen. I for one do not see the halibut season ending anytime before the first week of Sept like last year. How we are going to deal with the move ahead to benefit all sectors seems to be the issue here. I still believe that a united front by all rec/guide/lodge is the way to go and has the most overall power. Once the allocation numbers get in line with the demand of all sectors there will not be an issue. Not saying the current allocation is right and that halibut should belong to the people of Canada, but it is what it is right now and we all need to work together to make this right.

IPHC has Nothing to do with getting us 2/3. 65% of Canada's Halibut is exported before our needs are met. This must change.

I

Contact the SFAB or SFAC??
I am a recreational fisherman and my contact is the SFAC. That is how the structure works.
My very good friend it a member of my local SFAC and I have 2 aquaintances that are on the council also. I am NOT out of touch with what is going on, on the contrary.
Members of my local SFAC were BLIND SIDED by this slot size suggestion.
I was talking to the president of the Local BCWF club on Saturday night. He told me the BCWF does NOT agree with any slot size on halibut.

The whole problem is ' US ' recreational fishermen were NOT consulted

Why??

The following was spoken directly to me by and SFAB member...
" there was not enough time to consult the rec fisherman"

Did they try to consult, contact, solicit opinion form the average REC fisherman?
NO

This IS a fact and this is where the process has FUNDAMENTALLY broke down.

This is a BIG problem.

I fully agree bear cover that unity is the best way. However imo a group of people would like to have us Joe rec guys around when its most covientent for them. You know at rallies, making phone calls writing letters etc. Making noise if you will. Because that garnishes attn. But not when the decisions are being made. They would rather keep that quiet and do that on behalf of us.

I am a guide and a lodge owner of 10 years, make my living doing this. I was not consulted on this at all. I look at this from both sides but as a rec fisher first. I have enjoyed fishng my whole life, many amazing memories of doing it. As I look forward I hope that I will be able to continue fishing and making memories with my family for many years to come and not have to worry about leasing some quota in August from some commie so that my son and I have the chance to keep a halibut or it just being closed. I was at many rallies last year and wrote all the letters and emails I could, felt after the announcement that we had gotten somewhere. Now it's seems we are falling apart at the seams and all of our work is going out the window. We will find a common ground for all sectors but sticking strong together is how that is going t happen.

I am a guide and a lodge owner of 10 years, make my living doing this. I was not consulted on this at all. I look at this from both sides but as a rec fisher first. I have enjoyed fishng my whole life, many amazing memories of doing it. As I look forward I hope that I will be able to continue fishing and making memories with my family for many years to come and not have to worry about leasing some quota in August from some commie so that my son and I have the chance to keep a halibut or it just being closed. I was at many rallies last year and wrote all the letters and emails I could, felt after the announcement that we had gotten somewhere. Now it's seems we are falling apart at the seams and all of our work is going out the window. We will find a common ground for all sectors but sticking strong together is how that is going t happen.

Agree, we must stand together...

Remember the commies have lots of advertising experience. Remember Captain Highliner and little billy? Well there was one add they never showed and that one was for the Sportfishers. It goes like this, ARRR ave ye ever been to sea Billy? No Captain Highliner. Well Billy have ye ever bin buggered?
And that folks is for us.

The commies never screwed you. The sfab and DFO are the ones that screwed you. Right from the beginning they have been bs'ing the numbers.

My sentiments exactly.....

The Rec sector was screwed by DFO in colusion with the PHMA not the Sfab. The problem is and always will be quite simple, the allocation was never enough. Why should 400 licence holders get 85% of the allocation while the rest of canadians get the dregs. The resource belongs to the next generation of canadians. Time to enforce the owner operator principle, give the quota to the users of the resource. User fees should go towards stewardship of the resource, not profit in your pocket! It will be a cold day in hell before my kids pay you a cent in lease fees!

muhammad-ali.jpg

Back