Halibut: Bad News

Agree, what a laughable proposal! On the bright side - even if it sounds a bit illegal, it does not change anything in practice as there is no way this is enforcable. Or do you want to tell me that DFO officers will dig through coolers and try piecing fillet chunks together in an attempt to find four matching pieces and weighing them for a limit of 11.5 lbs? Ridiculous! For that we get a full season!? Ok then. Only sad thing is that no one will care for the limit of the second fish and the overage in our sportfishing quota will go against the conservation reserve dictated by the IPHC whereas it should come from the commercial quota gift.

And they are cutting back their budget?
LaughingSmiley1.gif
NAA1.gif

Pick up a 20 - 40 on the first day.
Pick up a 40 - 60 on the second day.
Trim the meat of day one fish to get you to 11.5 lbs.
Throw the trim into the ocean for crab and prawn food.
Problem solved

Not happy with this plan but will live with it because I have to.
GLG

This is what the west coast guides association wanted.
Read the past posts...
May still gets closed early aug anyways.

Pick up a 20 - 40 on the first day.
Pick up a 40 - 60 on the second day.
Trim the meat of day one fish to get you to 11.5 lbs.
Throw the trim into the ocean for crab and prawn food.
Problem solved

Not happy with this plan but will live with it because I have to.
GLG

I'm not sure how this helps keep the total pounds caught down but it sounds like it would work. Probably better than releasing them after you gaff them in the head and then measure them.

This solves nothing.There will be more halibut released to fit under this max size limit and alot of these fish stand a good chance of dying.Releasing halibut with hooks in their guts will not work.

Agreed 100%

But some thought it will make a longer season and better for all...?

I disagree..
It may keep a few people on the water a few weeks OR few DAYS longer, at the expense of the fish and future stocks.

This is what the west coast guides association wanted.
Read the past posts...
May still gets closed early aug anyways.

Its time to start lobbying for a 3 way quota, recs, guides and lodges, commies. That way they can do whatever they want to extend thier own quota without completely putting the screws to us. Ive had enough of this "we are taxi's bs" You are either in, or in the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
well there goes my Island halibut trips. No way am I spending money for ferries, camping etc...and have to take a fish 15 pounds or less. How many will the commies be releasing over 15 pounds? None!! What a crock!

This appears to be what is coming down the pipe.... We are now supposed to target ping-pong paddles as our second fish in possession...... sucks.....

March 5, 2012
Ms. Susan Farlinger
Regional Director General
Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Pacific Region
The SFAB Executive Committee is pleased to endorse the recommendation of its Halibut Working Group that effective April 1 the Department of Fisheries and Oceans implement by condition of licence a “normal and under” possession policy in which recreational anglers for the remainder of the 2012 fishing will be allowed to retain one halibut a day, and two in total possession away from their place of residence, but with one of these fish being subject to a maximum size restriction of 83 cm. which translates to 15 lbs in round weight and 11.25 lbs in dressed weight.
The Executive Committee notes that this recommendation came forward following a series of electronic meetings with DFO staff in which productive dialogue was greatly assisted by an analysis of Draft Regulatory Tools for Recreational Halibut Management prepared by Pacific Region of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. This document provided the basis upon which the SFAB members of the working group reached the conclusion that the “normal and under” approach provided the best chance for a full season in which predictable opportunity was available to all participants in the fishery on a coast-wide basis, although at a reduced level.

FROM THE SFAB EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

There is more in the letter, but this is the "meat" of it.

Bryan,

Is it possible for the rec fisherman to have a voice or say in this proposal?
If so HOW?

Suck it up Butter Cup! Its not about you! Its about sustainability for our coastal communities. Why dont you get it! All you sow is dissension. Maybe you are working for the commercial sector? Sure looks that way to me. Either that or you are really dense! Now you not only think the guides are out to lunch ,but now you must think the SFI is out to lunch. Are you going to start your own chapter? I think not! Please try real hard to see the bigger picture! This fight we are in is not over and we can finish it TOGETHER!

Suck it up Butter Cup! Its not about you!

Never was about me. Why dont you read the threads before making assine comments? For me its about Joe angler. I have a 16.5 duck hunting skiff. What do you think i am some kind of halibut slayer? LOL. I have caught less the 20 halibut in my entire life. And 70% of those have been caught with guides. Some of which are in this thread! And other then the WCGA crew there doesnt seem to be many people suppoorting it, Seems like even quite a few guides arent big fans!

Its about sustainability for our coastal communities.

I agree with you partially, Do you think this recommendation was made with places like the Ucuelet corner store in mind? or the Gold River Val u mart? Give your head a shake...

. Maybe you are working for the commercial sector? Sure looks that way to me.

To even suggest that is retarded. Take a little time MR 3 posts and find out what im all about.

Now you not only think the guides are out to lunch ,but now you must think the SFI is out to lunch.

I know.... the guides have zero influence on the SFI and the SFAB. How could i be so dense?

Please try real hard to see the bigger picture! This fight we are in is not over and we can finish it TOGETHER!

I do see the big picture. Thats the problem. It was pretty dismal to start with, but it just got whole lot worse.

Enjoy your 1 daily/ 1 in possesion and under 15 pounds in years to come! But hey We should be able to do that till the end of august if we play our cards right!

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of dense Bullhead - the proposal put forward in the SFAB letter doesn't address sustainability, does nothing for the "bigger picture" and, if anything has bred dissension amongst the rec sector, it's been bonehead proposals such as this (i.e. does nothing to reduce lbs harvested but seriously hinder the plans of a do it yourselfers). I suggest you take the time to read all the threads on this issue and all the various view points, facts and logic that have been presented before making accusations that aren't founded or supported by any of those principles.

How is this enforceable?? I just don't see how it is, but if it extends our season then so be it...problem is, up here in Hardy I don't know if I'll be able to find a halibut under 15lbs...this will make it quite difficult for me and will probably have to release a lotttt of fish, most of which may survive but some won't.

This is ludicrous to say the least for so many reasons.
I made it very clear to DFO that most of the top recreational fisherman and guide operators in the North Island will not be participating in the creel survey or log book program or anything else that helps DFO do their jobs.
If you support this program it means you are happy with the halibut situation, the experimental licence program and the now prooposed slot limit and undisclosed closure date.
Our position and yes there is a large group of us and growing are simply not going to be supporting and starts with not anything less than an equal opening and closure date to the commercial sector every year with limits/possession similar or greater than we now have.
This is just the beginning of what DFO will do if we don't make a stand.....

Does anyone really believe 40,000 halibut anglers averaged 1.4 fish each. That those fish averaged 21.8 pounds? While thinking about that, keep in mind out of 300,000 anglers the average is less than one “Chinook” per year. That is on a season open all year.

Does anyone really believe less than 800 licensed guides (which includes full time, part time, and assistants) really catch 60-70% of all the halibut. I know they are all good; however even at 60% that would be 732,000 pounds of halibut, out of that 1.22 million. That equate to 33,577 pounds per guide and at a 21.8 average that would be 41.97 halibut per guide. That is full time, part time, and assistant guides; since I don’t believe the 60% number, I will let whoever wants figure out the 70%. And, if anyone wants to talk about those unlicensed guides that one is easy - get them off the water!

IMHO… An ‘annual’ halibut limit in Area 2B for sport - will do NOTHING. A ‘one over – one under in possession' or 'slot’ limit for sports - will do NOTHING. The reason is there is NO accountability. The one and only thing used at this time is those “HIGH” estimates and that is only to APPEASE the IPHC. In fact, if you let them Canada will manage YOUR BC sport fishery right out of business just like they did and are in eastern Canada!

Go back and READ those IPHC RARA reports, especially 2007 as that is when all Area 2B sport sector problems started, resulting in catch limits reduced and seasons being changed. This whole sport sector issue is NOT about conservation. It is NOT about Canada being over TAC as they haven’t been for years. It is ALL about the IPHC complaining to Canada (DFO) about their 300,000 “estimate” for First Nation was to low (no accountability). DFO raised it to 405,000 pounds - problem solved. IPHC threatens both Alaska and Canada on sport sector accountability and that is was problematic and if DFO didn’t fix it IPHC would. In other words, DFO rather than establishing a valid accountability program DFO raised their catch “estimates” high enough to APPEASE the IPHC. NO ACCOUNTABILITY!

Reported to IPHC was 1.22 million pounds. Divide by an average of weight of 21.8 pounds per fish and it will equal 55,963 fish. Divide that by 40,000 estimated anglers and you get 1.4 fish per angler. And, that my friends is exactly how those DFO numbers being reported to IPHC works out to be for 2011, which resulted in a season closing after Labour Day weekend September 5, 2011. FYI... DFO was well aware the commercial sector was under and if you read the report, you will see Canada ended up well within Canada's TAC! I guess DFO just wants to show you who runs what, ey!
\
Want to see what the DFO report is going to be to the IPHC for the year of 2012? I will get out the 'ole' crystal ball and take a peak, myself. Here is your upcoming DFO report to IPHC - great knews, DFO is going to report you are right in line with your TAC, “This year in Area 2B, the sport TAC was 994,950. DFO implemented the 'one over a day – one under in possession' limit. The ‘one over’ continued to average 21.8 pounds. The one under in possession average was 15 pounds. The season began March 1 and ended September 4, 2012 when sport TAC was reached.” Sad part is… DFO would have a hard time closing the halibut season (and probably would NOT) prior to the Canada Labour Day weekend.

FYI… Just in case some don’t realize and/or have forgotten. It takes ALL those little (under 15 pounds) halibut running around out there in Area 2B to grow up and become those big halibut brood stock some are talking about! You kill all those little ones off and you won’t have to look any farther South than Area 2A to see how your "16 day halibut season" at "1/day – 1/possession" will turn out to be in just a few short years.

Back