Halibut anchoring ????

YES i personally wouldnt even think about this weekend the next "set" of good currents start next sat the 5th i cant and wont take paying customers for a boat ride max current is about .07 even then thats to much as you want your gear at a nice angle, sitting off constance and gear bouncing off race rocks is kinda pointless. in SOME places you can hide in bays etc away from current. to me thats really not fishing ill wait for the better current days in april there is really only 12 days to fish and 11 in may .
Good luck Wolf

Sometimes i drift over the selected spot to determine wind and current effect.

We do the same . decide where we want to be then drift long enough to establish a clear track on the gps then go up that track and drop the hook. Hardest part for me is trying to estimate how far up from intended spot to go so as to land on it wen we come to the end of our line and settle. My crew sometimes accuse me of trying to be too spicific. We do have a couple smallish pinnacles we like to fish and I have been known to pull and reset as much as 2-3 times before I am happy. Bottom line for me is I always do a drift to see the direction and speed before dropping.

Best hali fishing (catching) was in current we couldn't keep the gear on the bottom, kept letting line out, bumping the bottom, soon as the offering got passed a certain point/ledge was BAM fish on, got 4-5 in a matter of minutes.

Never been in any really hairy situations yet keep fingers crossed.

Pretty sure there is a 24inch Scotchman somewhere on that anchor rode

YES i personally wouldnt even think about this weekend the next "set" of good currents start next sat the 5th i cant and wont take paying customers for a boat ride max current is about .07 even then thats to much as you want your gear at a nice angle, sitting off constance and gear bouncing off race rocks is kinda pointless. in SOME places you can hide in bays etc away from current. to me thats really not fishing ill wait for the better current days in april there is really only 12 days to fish and 11 in may .
Good luck Wolf

I do same... But I anchor in small boat vs others so doing fast currents is very very dangerous.. I have learned though to stop using all the electronic general current data on the net and using a simple Murray table helps me the most. I find it more accurate. I also have to make decisions on weather based on which way wind is going based on current otherwise I am wasting may time...I generally get all my halibut right on the current changes. That's what I found....

WELL seeing that scotsman under sorry to say is down right stupid next is the boat if that thing is under water that is VERY dangerous but go ahead its your lives your Fen with, this is a classic case of what not to do.....
Sorry Gypseas ive seen way too many people get in trouble doing what your doing there ....if you like putting 100 ft of line by all means go ahead.. you must be using downriggers to keep gear on the bottom....

Have to agree with Wolf on that. Doesn't take much to roll a boat in that kind of current. Picking up your anchor can be a tad challenging too. There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there ain't no old bold pilots!

Searun,
Please walk me through the scenario of rolling a boat in that kind of current.

By no means do I try to downgrade the severity of a few things going wrong when retrieving anchor. Personally did not, at the time, felt it was a big deal current or not. How do people anchor on the Fraser river fishing for sturgeon. Is the river slower than the currents we experience on the chuck? I am sure some of the Vancouver guys could chime in.

cheers

Wolf I very much respect your opinion based on experience.

next time i see ya at the dock maybe take couple minutes and help clear how the "next is the boat" comes into play, you may save our lives I am "Fen with"

:cool:

Mo problem but will tell you now when that Scotsman goes under the next could be the boat as the Float is to take all the pressure off your boat with it going under now the pressure is mostly on the boat one bad current change with wind, But hey do whatever you like to do .... Your a good guy and like you alot but carry on i dont think you been in a situation or seen what these can create ....as it appears you think you know best......

i dont think i have to remind you of what happened to those guys in winter harbour a few years back that the boat flipped while on anchor there all gone now.....

There are many a scary incidents I have personally seen with people trying to anchor in these kinda of current TOO many to count seen whole lost systems people SCARED to death (just last week) seen it again.....

I personally lost a whole system learned the hard way over 25 yeras ago off race rocks thought id push it scotsman under water WAY too much current tried to lift it boat started to go down said F#$K IT and cut it all as i had water coming in too damn scary for me I want to live...

BUT like i said your call .....

Interesting thread, appreciate the info

I found this John Beath video on anchoring in a river which looks risky to me - similar to the halibut anchoring method but this video looks like not the best situation to me with strong river current and eddies/upwelling as well as with all the numerous boats all quite close while doing the pull and drift. Also pulling the anchor line from bow cleat with this small boat looks as if the boat could be flipped to starboard if the anchor caught on something while he was pulling from bow( plus it looked like the anchor rode could swing over into prop if he wasn't very careful in that kind of current)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40nz7HVwcOw

Talk to Moose @ Habour Chandler, he has a great drawing and all the material to put together an anchoring system, he will also make one for you

One important item to have close at hand on a boat, and especially while anchoring, is a sharp serrated knife. Serrated knives cut through rope the easiest. Even better if it's a long blade. And the best would be to have a knife on a pole so you could cut a rope that was wrapped around the leg. Here is a few ideas on a thread from another forum.......

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=3967.0

Interesting thread, appreciate the info

I found this John Beath video on anchoring in a river which looks risky to me - similar to the halibut anchoring method but this video looks like not the best situation to me with strong river current and eddies/upwelling as well as with all the numerous boats all quite close while doing the pull and drift. Also pulling the anchor line from bow cleat with this small boat looks as if the boat could be flipped to starboard if the anchor caught on something while he was pulling from bow( plus it looked like the anchor rode could swing over into prop if he wasn't very careful in that kind of current)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40nz7HVwcOw

Just a little more wire in the ocean and as long as you keep tension on the it should not get in the prop. It's howiedoit

[I4GiyjIOrQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4GiyjIOrQ4

Some good info on this thread guys!

Still looking for a hard and fast rule about maximum current speed for anchoring, though I know there's no such thing when considering wind and water conditions. I used to think that up to 1.25 - 1.5 knots was doable, but have learned it's generally not. Though at that speed the Scotsman not looking worrisome, gear isn't on bottom and you are generally wasting time. I mean, when you actually stop and think about it, 1 knot per hour is 0.514 metres per second (approximately). That is a lot of water movement - when you think about a vertical column of water often 250 - 300 feet deep in the areas we anchor, that is a ton of force on your gear and anchor line and getting on bottom is pretty futile. I've rarely caught a fish in these conditions, and all the work associated with it is not worth it.

Wolf, you say 0.7 is max you will do? Good to know. I've found it much more forgiving in Renfrew and the Charlottes were the open ocean results in smaller current than we see in the strait. I think for both safety and effectiveness I won't fish in over 1 knot again. It's just so easy to wanna get out there, but you gotta be practical. Couple years of guiding and there is still much to master!

Also, what are you guys generally running for scope, non-including weather condition variables? I try for 2 - 1 length to water depth - probably pushing it but I want to know I'm actually on my pinnacle, and it's not like I'm overnight mooring and not constantly watching my situation. Sorry, I'm sure there is another thread on this already, but I'm asking anyway!

Well that is one way of lifting an anchor , but personally I go the safer route of having a bow to stern line for SAFETY purposes, also I dont tie the line directlly to the stern mine is beyond mid ship aft . If you do get into any trouble of hang up etc you just cut it and your completely free. your complete anchor system(scottsman,rode drag line is still in the water to get later) is away from your boat alot harder to do if it is attached to the bow ESPECIALLY in rougher water.

Sookes I run 600 ft of rode another 45 of chain and another 75 ft or so to boat to scotsman so over 700ft all in,i like to move around and cover ground some dont but thats up to the fisherman....it works for me.

As you found out this am 1.3 off of constance is smoking fast because of the push coming out of puget sound and the haro combined bet you it was ok at about what i call fishable by 10:15 ish , I personally wouldnt even go out today but thats me id rather have a good 5 to 8 hours of fishing with less current then 3 hours of alot of current . BUT in saying that you can always find areas in bays and behind islands to hide from the currents if you know what your doing...

I watched 3 guys try a few weeks back when I was salmon fishing on a 2.0 kt ebb on constance it was smoking and at the high of the ebb try an anchor ... they threw it out from the back of the boat when the anchor grabbed the boat spun like a top 2 guys went flying backwards into bottom of boat. I know they were scared cause there was alot of F BOMBS and screaming going on, my buddy who i was with said it perfectlly "how stupid and dangerous is that" luckily the scotssman popped up and was free they lifted it and didnt try again thank god.

BUT the more im out there the more i see it so its quite clear people are not respecting what they are doing and will learn the hard way im sure we will hear of a boat flipping or worse a death here. which in my opinion is very sad.....

Good luck Wolf

Well that is one way of lifting an anchor , but personally I go the safer route of having a bow to stern line for SAFETY purposes, also I dont tie the line directlly to the stern mine is beyond mid ship aft . If you do get into any trouble of hang up etc you just cut it and your completely free. your complete anchor system(scottsman,rode drag line is still in the water to get later) is away from your boat alot harder to do if it is attached to the bow ESPECIALLY in rougher water.

Sookes I run 600 ft of rode another 45 of chain and another 75 ft or so to boat to scotsman so over 700ft all in,i like to move around and cover ground some dont but thats up to the fisherman....it works for me.

As you found out this am 1.3 off of constance is smoking fast because of the push coming out of puget sound and the haro combined bet you it was ok at about what i call fishable by 10:15 ish , I personally wouldnt even go out today but thats me id rather have a good 5 to 8 hours of fishing with less current then 3 hours of alot of current . BUT in saying that you can always find areas in bays and behind islands to hide from the currents if you know what your doing...

I watched 3 guys try a few weeks back when I was salmon fishing on a 2.0 kt ebb on constance it was smoking and at the high of the ebb try an anchor ... they threw it out from the back of the boat when the anchor grabbed the boat spun like a top 2 guys went flying backwards into bottom of boat. I know they were scared cause there was alot of F BOMBS and screaming going on, my buddy who i was with said it perfectlly "how stupid and dangerous is that" luckily the scotssman popped up and was free they lifted it and didnt try again thank god.

BUT the more im out there the more i see it so its quite clear people are not respecting what they are doing and will learn the hard way im sure we will hear of a boat flipping or worse a death here. which in my opinion is very sad.....

Good luck Wolf

Cheers Wolf! As usual you are right on the money! It did get fishable around 10:30 but like you say, not a huge window in what could be considered safe water. Noted about the effects at Constance. Thanks for your input!

Question about the anchor rode: if you're anchoring with the scottsman and steel ring and clipping it to a line attached bow to stern, you have to let out all your anchor rode correct? 600' of line go over whether it's 100' deep or 400'?

One important item to have close at hand on a boat, and especially while anchoring, is a sharp serrated knife. Serrated knives cut through rope the easiest. Even better if it's a long blade. And the best would be to have a knife on a pole so you could cut a rope that was wrapped around the leg. Here is a few ideas on a thread from another forum.......

http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=3967.0

I have my system hooked up to a quick release pin. One pull and the whole thing breaks away. (got mine at PNT) Cutting rope takes way, way too long. As Wolf said many times before, you need to value your life when anchoring. Be smart and don't take any chances and heed his sage advice. Anyone who has anchored a drift boat in a river can attest to how dangerous it is in a strong current where the anchor rode starts tightening up and pulling the boat down. First sign of trouble is the nose dips and you start to waggle a bit, then comes the roll over or you can catch a wave and fill the boat. This isn't stuff to mess with.

this would be it..a sweet break away... :)

Attachments

• 20140417_213335_resized.jpg
    20140417_213335_resized.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 480
Back