Halibut anchoring etc

Bones if you're 'trolling' (no pun intended) please try somewhere else. You may fish differently than me I see. I don't fish in unsafe conditions and I have things called common sense and forsite. I think I'll be ok with my hatch but thank you for the word of caution. I'll make sure I don't invite massive double rollers higher than my boat over the bow and down my hatch. But if you see me out in the water in conditions like that anchored then ya, I'm probably already dead slumped over the helm lol.

We are on page 3 and no one has said your planned setup is a good idea. A lot of very experienced guys, and some of the top rods of the West Coast have given great advice, but it seems you are set in your way. Always laugh when someone asks for your opinion and then never listens to it. Good luck. Out

I have a windlass and I still use the same system as everyone else. It's a very convenient way to drop and pull the anchor. I'm not saying your system wouldn't work, it might. The anchor everyone is using can be stored in a small tote and really is quick and easy to drop and pull. I'm not telling you what to do but I personally use the windlass when I'm in some bay drinking beer and I use my anchor system for fishing.

Thank you Bones. Good luck to you too.

Kelly, I'm sure you know a lot. I don't think I said you didn't. 120 days of anchoring is great man. I wish I could fish that much every year. Maybe this year :)

Casper I have read, and listened, and heard no issue there at all. And all the comments and advice are greatly appreciated. I think I will survive while trying out my Hali anchor system :) I'll be sure to take pics and let you know how it works out good or bad. Nobody ever stops learning if they allow it to happen and opens their minds.
Probably won't be too many pics with me anchored in giant massive waves though so not sure I can test those kinds of scenarios out. I tend to fish inside if it gets nasty. I have no reason to force a bad fishing situation.

have you ever been hung up while trying to use the windlass? down right scary to me even in calm water.. pulling the bow down on a even a calm swell is dangerous..!!!

Do you remember those two NFL guys and a friend who drowned (one survivor) in the Gulf of Mexico a number of years back?? They didn't want to lose and pay for another stuck anchor off their rental boat, so they tightened the rode, tied it to the stern cleat, and moved forward. That pulled the stern corner under, swamped the boat and it rolled.
Personally, I don't think you can beat the zap strap system and I don't see why you couldn't use it with a windlass. It just breaks away the chain from the shank, and you pull on the anchor from the crown. It's a no-brainer.
Your invention is just too complicated, keep it simple, stupid, as Wolf suggested.
I have a large scotsman that the ring is attached to, so when I power away from it, the large scotsman is taking all of the lifting force off my boat, nothing is pulling it down, I'm just towing rope essentially. Every force has an equal and opposite force, if you're 200#'s, and your windlass is pulling even 400#'s of tension when it's stuck, that's 600#'s sitting on the bow of your boat with an open hatch...
It's probably safer not to use your hatch if you plan to actually use your system.

Oh man someone else that doesn't like to read lol...Eriks...

Too complicated of a system lol...It's less complicated!! And boy I think I can handle an 5 minute weld job on my anchor lol. Ya very complicated OMG lol.

And you just reiterated what I already stated: you can put yourself in danger pulling an anchor from anyplace on your boat if your an idiot. If so, you deserve to to be off the water and have to learn the hard way (which I've learned today that a lot of you guys have had to already learn the hard way using that Hali anchoring system out where you are!!)...Seems to be not too great from what I've been hearing lately but then again errors usually come from incompetent people who don't play safe enough. I'm sure that system works well for the experienced safe fishermen out there.

The in the box thinkers never find out anything new because they are followers. The out of the box thinkers are the ones who want to learn, discover, test, and create. I was taught that at a very young age and have had a few great mentors over the years both on the salt and fresh waters.

People that call others names ie "stupid" are unhappy with themselves and need to insult others in order to make themselves feel better about their own incompetence. But that's ok, it's very common in today's world and I don't need to resort to that kind of thing in a discussion cause I'm not insecure like that. Do and say what makes you feel better about yourself. Hopefully one day there will be a growth and awakening by you and others who chose to insult in order to discuss.

Just keep doing what you're doing and stay happy!

It's funny the PM's I'm getting showing support for my thread, ideas, and discussion. Some guys don't like to post on threads because of conflict. That's fine and I respect that and I thank the fellow's who PM'd me. Some of the stuff I found out through PM I already suspected as you guys know :)

I enjoy a good discussion. Peoples true colors always shine through when things aren't agreed on. When you stop learning, your brain is on the downhill slope...sad really and unfortunate.

There's guys that know me here on this forum Kelly. And know exactly how long I've been on the coast fishing.
I don't have to have a little immature pissing match with you lol.
Congrats on your 120 hours on the water buddy. Not sure who you are trying to impress with that but not me at all. If you couldn't already tell that with my earlier written sarcasm then that's too bad.
I was boating the coast long before you were born young fella, long before but who cares. I don't post that crap on a forum like a brag artist like you feel the need to.

If you actually read the thread you would see that, that is exactly what I stated. I have never been a bottom fisherman period. Always bored me. And all that know me, knows that. Even when we are done fishing for our limits of salmon I've never enjoyed sitting anchored.
Now that I'm getting older I am slowing down the fishing and will take my family and friends out and bottom fish. If I am still bored by it now then it may not last and I may just carry on another 20 years of fishing without bottom fishing.

It's rather entertaining seeing defensive comments by some of the folks I've been told about would probably do so. Laughable really.

Time to grow up a bit.

WOW go ahead your trying to convince your way is best, you will get into trouble but you wont recognize it when it does.
people have sunk boats and died form anchoring and its not something to take lightly a river is a complete different game , you have convinced yourself you have "found" the new best way ....well it isnt. for someone who "hasn't bottom fished " my self and others that have done it for many years are trying to help you. THIS IS SOMETHING that is not laughable.
it down right god damn dangerous.
You seem set and stuck in your ways, personally i error on the side of safety and keeping people safe.

Good luck your gonna need it.

I highly recommend you don't try to reinvent this.
It is clear you have never done this before.
Do not use your windlass.
Use the system described in Murphy's video.
When you go to pull the anchor motor initially to the side and then up on your anchor to avoid getting the rope caught up in your drive.
You do not want to end up anchored from your stern in rough seas.
One of our group came very close to losing their Seasport 24.

Last edited:
I'm not about to get into a pi$$ing match with you, but halibut anchoring is a topic that has been beaten to death on this forum over the years.
I'm not saying your system won't work, I'm all for innovation.
I think that most people go with the zap strap method for various reasons, but mostly for its simplicity and safety;
1. The anchor is never directly attached to your bow, the Scotsman is taking the beating, and you tie to the Scotsman with a 20' floating line
2. It is deployed and retrieved from the safety of the stern deck, where crew are available to help if req'd
3. Simplicity, no windlass to worry about, use your engine as a windlass
4. Low cost of consumables, just a pack of zap straps
I think you're right to ask people in this forum what they think of your ideas, but maybe you're trying to reinvent the wheel here. The brilliance of the zap strap method is its simplicity and safety.
Please post pictures, it would be so much easier to understand your method.

Thank you all for the replies guys. They are really appreciated. And I take safety very seriously. That's the first thing on my mind no matter what system I would be using.

Pescador anytime I've fished Hali locally or up by Telegraph that's all we did for them too, drift or troll. Much more enjoyable and safe too I agree.

Over the past couple days now I've heard of lots of Hali boating accidents using the current method everyone is using too so Im convinced either way still can be dangerous if not done safely and in safe water conditions.

As I mentioned earlier I don't have to force a fishing situation and don't fish in unsafe conditions even having an offshore boat I still don't take that **** lightly. Forcing your boat to be anchored up by any method in bad conditions has high potential to cause a lot of bad accidents.
Way to much stress and way to much risk vs reward IMO.

Glad I decided 10 years ago to only drift for Hali. This whole process scares me....
That's why it's fun to go out with someone like Wolf-we've been anchored in all kinds of conditions and never felt unsafe plus he shares his knowledge and a person starts to understand all the different forces at work all of which demand respect.

I'm all for thinking out of the box, but I think your system will put you in a box.
OK I LOL'ed but I'm kind of a sick bugger sometime.

Maybe Tug Captain can chime in? I'm sure there is a reason a tug has bits for and aft( I appreciate we are talking significantly more strain). But hey give her a go on a calm day with light current and your trusty knife in hand. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let us know how it works.
I would chime in, but to be honest I only have training and experience anchoring larger vessels with big anchors and full chain where the windlass is the only way your getting it up.
For this application you guys know way more than I do.

I would chime in, but to be honest I only have training and experience anchoring larger vessels with big anchors and full chain where the windlass is the only way your getting it up.
For this application you guys know way more than I do.
Yup same thing my commercial fishing family friends said. They haul off power pulls in all kinds of situations and have enough thought, training, and common sense to do it safely.

Chasin. I won't comment on safety as I have limited experience in anchoring.

I will say, I can see you have put thought into the situation and have taken it all into account. The guys here seem to mean well, but don't poke their ego by questioning them. It's a weird thing with Fisherman round here as I'm sure you know.

Just do it

Back