Halibut Anchor - How Much Rope?

I think the ideal setup would include a smaller anchor that will either pull out easily when you want it to or bend and let go from more solid ground. (you can always re straighten or replace at minimal cost. More chain to keep the smaller anchor sucked into the bottom and less scope on a smaller diameter rope. (which lessens drag and pull on the chain and anchor) By your rope in sections and experiment with how much you need to fish different depths without dragging.

I have 750' total including 30' of chain plus rode. A bit more than needed but it all fits very nicely into a garbage can in my cuddy. My boat is 30' including the motors. I had PNT do up some custom "C" link quick releases braided into my anchor rode at different depths of rode. At my quick releases on the rode I have fluorescent colored plastidip painted for 2 meters by the quick releases for easy identification of those spots on my rode. The braided c links travel through my windless flawlessly.
I unclip off of my windless after setting my anchor and clip onto my bow to stern fish deck line. I can unhook and be free from my anchor at any time by unclipping or cutting right at my fish deck. I have the options with my system to pull my anchor by hand, by windless, from the bow or from the stern anyway I want to. And I still use a scotchman to float my rode and pull my anchor. The system works excellent and very happy I set it up that way. Very safe and quick. For extra safety my hali anchor has a slide bar that will break off if needed to and I can slide the chain to the other side of the anchor if needed for pulling a stuck one out in the opposite direction as it was set without the need of using zap straps.
It's a custom set up though that works well for my boat being a pilot house with a large cuddy hatch that opens right in front of my windless on the bow where I can clip and unclip very quick and easy and I have windlass controls both at my helm and on my bow.
This system I would not recommend for boats not set up this way though.
Planning a hali trip coming up soon. I'll get some pics of how it's set up if anyone is interested.

As long as you have good common sense and play safe you'll be fine. Use enough scope to keep your anchor set well in the depth and conditions you are fishing. And if you are nervous or not sure exactly how you are going to use the set up at first then practice with it in sheltered calm waters first then work your way up testing it out in different situations with depths, bottom contours etc. until you are confident to use it while fishing.

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone would not use a Scotsman, then again I see boats with a couple hundred feet from boat to Scotsman which confuses me as well.

Ya some guys do seem to like packing a bunch of extra rope for no reason.....but I have had it fishing solo where I couldn't be bothered to run the boat in reverse to deploy anchor and its dead slack where I will have a bunch of extra line where the stopper ring hasn't met the puller ring yet. Once tide gets moving Scotsman gets pushed up to the boat but if it's a pretty dead tide you will just sit with a pile of extra line between the boat and Scotsman.

Wasnt going to say anything but i will as some bad info being said, Ive been doing this now for a long time and probably 1000s of sets and have shown many the safest way I only run a 15 lb anchor for my over 7000 lb boat but 5o ft of chain AND attached at back of anchor then a zap strap holding it to easy break off, if it need to. also 600 ft or rode and then about 100 ft to Scotsman.
This last halibut derby I watched guys letting anchor out on the swim grid and back of boat watching in horror saw a guy if 3 fters letting it go from bow of boat with NO Scotsman. saw a guy wrap it into his prop. best thing is to not do this in currents past 1 kt or in rough seas there will be other days its really not worth it ,its just a fish.
Or if you see bad weather coming get the hell out of there.
SIDE more on caution then anything even after all the times ive done it putting the anchor down makes me the most nervous as **** happens VERY fast out there .

Please be careful we dont want to see any more accidents mother nature doesnt care it will kill you if you give it the opportunity.

Good luck wolf

Have to say Roy, you practice what you preach. You may not recall, but a few years back 3 of us were booked on your discounted Halibut charter for forum members when you phoned me and cancelled because of weather and then re-booked us. When we did go out with you it was a nice flat enjoyable and successful day.

We were all locals and could re-book but it must be hard for a guide to give up the income with clients that are here for a very short time from far away and can’t/won’t re-book. Still, guides need to do it or convince the clients that it will be a salmon trip, where it is far more likely the worst that will happen is they will be puking their guts out.

Wasnt going to say anything but i will as some bad info being said, Ive been doing this now for a long time and probably 1000s of sets and have shown many the safest way I only run a 15 lb anchor for my over 7000 lb boat but 5o ft of chain AND attached at back of anchor then a zap strap holding it to easy break off, if it need to. also 600 ft or rode and then about 100 ft to Scotsman.
This last halibut derby I watched guys letting anchor out on the swim grid and back of boat watching in horror saw a guy if 3 fters letting it go from bow of boat with NO Scotsman. saw a guy wrap it into his prop. best thing is to not do this in currents past 1 kt or in rough seas there will be other days its really not worth it ,its just a fish.
Or if you see bad weather coming get the hell out of there.
SIDE more on caution then anything even after all the times ive done it putting the anchor down makes me the most nervous as **** happens VERY fast out there .

Please be careful we dont want to see any more accidents mother nature doesnt care it will kill you if you give it the opportunity.

Good luck wolf

With all due respect why 100' of line to the Scotsman?

I want to move around over the halispots and keep distance away from that anchor line, im ALWAYS watching where that line is on gps as well as sometimes wind and current dont go as planned and it tries to move you onto your rode.

wolf

I'm the same as Wolf, but I only have 80' of bright yellow floating line with 1 small float on it. I can see it clearly and I'm always watching that line. As soon as I see I'm moving up on my anchor I will adjust the boat to move off of it.

Ok I was thinking of this last time I was out. Say you anchored and want to move to another close spot. Could you just raise your anchor as you were packing up.
But instead move another spot with out bringing the line in towing the Scotsman . Just talking like a few hundred yards or so. Do guys do this.
Sounds like I need more chain are d shackles ok to extend chain length
OR maybe use bruce instead of the Danforth
Nice tips

Last edited:
Ok I was thinking of this last time I was out. Say you anchored and want to move to another close spot. Could you just raise your anchor as you were packing up.
But instead move another spot with out bringing the line in towing the Scotsman . Just talking like a few hundred yards or so. Do guys do this.
Sounds like I need more chain are d shackles ok to extend chain length
OR maybe use bruce instead of the Danforth
Nice tips

I've moved mine like that, I start driving away to lift the anchor off the bottom and then carefully tow it in the direction I want to move.
I find it difficult to get any type of precision this way so what I've done since it's fully retreive the anchor so it's caught in the Scotsman, carefully circle around to retreive the Scotsman, then grab the anchor and Scotsman, towing the line and redrop the anchor at the new location.
I find much more success doing this with the Scotsman at my boat rather than 300' behind me

Please don't anchor near me if your taking dangerous short cuts.

Why would you not just pull your anchor properly and move?

It's a real simple and safe set up if done right. If not you are putting yourself and others at risk.

Respect the water and do it right.

Always read some scary stuff in these threads.

Tips

Please don't anchor near me if your taking dangerous short cuts.

Why would you not just pull your anchor properly and move?

It's a real simple and safe set up if done right. If not you are putting yourself and others at risk.

Respect the water and do it right.

Always read some scary stuff in these threads.

Tips

I have to agree. I had what this happen to me where someone reset like that. Scared crap out of us and they did it 100 feet away. Better to pick it up and reset it properly.

That sounds incredibly dangerous to do around other boats, but when you're alone it's very easy to do safely.
Perhaps you're imagining an issue which is actually being taken into consideration?

So as I stated before I have 600ft of rode, 50 ft of chain and a 22lb Bruce. Don't usually have an issue however, my anchor got stuck twice yesterday fishing... bent my slip ring yanking it up. The tie raps broke both times and still it was pain to retrieve. I may try shorting the chain to see if that helps. Anchoring can be an adventure. Like all advice by some knowledgeable folks. I always put the anchor back in the boat to reset, you never know what you will catch dragging it to a new spot.

Thinking I might need a swivel from anchor to rode. To prevent anchor from spinning and wrapping up the Rope. Is this necessary do you think

Hmmm weird you got it stuck , Just make sure you go back the opposite way you anchored so it pulls straight up . in other wards if you set north and the current pulls you back south make sure you pull due north again as the current can and will swing you in totally different direction from where you set.

As for a swivel you dont need one at all, ive never had that issue of spinning? keep it simple its the easiest way...

Hmmm weird you got it stuck , Just make sure you go back the opposite way you anchored so it pulls straight up . in other wards if you set north and the current pulls you back south make sure you pull due north again as the current can and will swing you in totally different direction from where you set.

As for a swivel you dont need one at all, ive never had that issue of spinning? keep it simple its the easiest way...
Ya it was weird. I usually pull up back down the original track on the plotter.

Back