hacker has email account now?

Hey GLG: This hacking has alot of us on edge. I wish they would say something to ease the concerns of it's members. Nothing personal intended, I always delete conspicuous emails. Drop me an email through your home address, would be glad to hear from you.;) eman

It's all good

EM
Will send you a PM from another forum. I to am on "edge" with this site. Been around computers since the late 70's and have seen a lot but this site hack and general slow down is about the last straw. Wish there was something I could do. Leave? GLG
edit to add: eman send me a pm

Not too concerned about the hacking as I NEVER use my principal e-mail address when logging on to a Forum, and this may be a suggestion for those who have concerns.
Set up a Gmail or Hotmail account and use that for your address for membership. That way, should a site be corrupted and addresses lifted, or should the site be one which sells off it's members list (which this one thankfully does not), or overloads you with solicitations by email, you aren't inundated in your regular accounts. A quick visit every few weeks or so to your e mail site to check for any pm's, and to dump the garbage, makes it manageable.

On leaving the site, I think we've got a good bunch of knowledgable anglers here, who are generous and willing to share advice etc., and a heck of a good historical database that, while not the easiest to troll through, has a lot of good information. Hate to lose either.

hacking not as concerning as well for me as I use my hotmail...what I can't stand is the amount of lags this site has....that's what sucks about things here IMH....if I wanted lag, I'd go back to dial up!

Well considering that all of our information must now go to Turkey and back through a trojan, I think that would explain the lag.

The lag would appear to be from the database, it simply needs to be repaired and all the tables and cells optimized. Or convert it all over to a better program. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Don't know what version of SNITZ forums this is based on, but earlier versions, Pre V3.4.03 are widely publicized as easy hacks, just google it.

Right click to view the source of this page. The softeware commands the server input the text for the version level so that it is viewable in the source code and commented out so that it is not printed visually to the eye on the page you are now reading. According to the Snitz website it is the latest and last version released on September 13, 2006. There are no current patches and thousands of other website forums internet wide using this same software that are all also in the same boat as this website. Time to update to a different one, there are many hundreds of different forum software products available for both paid or free to use. Is it not obvious that we are not a priority with the new owners any more or less than we were with the old. Be thankful that we still have a forum. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Ok so we have 3 issues with this website.
First issue: The ease of hacking this site. There have been many patches since the last release of this software. They are posted on the Snitz website. Yes you have to be computer literate to make the changes but it's not rocket science. The most likely attack method is known as a SQL Injection. The support is continuing and available.
Second issue: The database speed or lack of it. There are 3 different database engines that can be used with this software. Microsoft Access, Microsoft SQL and MySQL. If we are running MS Access it's no wonder that we have a slowdown as this software was never intended to handle the amount of data that we have from years of posting. Archiving all post more than 2 years old should solve the problem. If not upgrade to Microsoft SQL.
Third issue: Total lack of respect for the members and moderators of this site. No mention of a problem and how they plan to fix it. Keeping everyone in the dark and scaring the s*** out of the members with thoughts of their email address being stolen and used to spread spam. How do the owners plan to fix that?
I am not an expert with the Snitz software but I have been involved with computer support for many years. If the owners don't want or care about this site sell it to someone who does.
Signed GLG "Gil Gingras. Comox BC

How about we go to the newspapers and radio with this?
Think Fancy pants owners might fix then??

quote:Originally posted by eaglemaniac

Give me strength;) eman

It's all good
ya,your right. what was I thinking.
Let's just wait,it will all go away on its own. [V]

Can somebody tell me what the "owners" get out of this site? I dont see any advertizing so whats in it for them?

In other words-- why would they care???? Just wondering.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Well for starters the new owners are a band or group of individuals with varying talents, they all put money in the pot to buy out the previous owner and formed a working partnership. Along with this site came all kinds of lucrative accounts for hosting and web building, marketing and multimedia. They have accounts that are worth thousands and thousands of dollars through development and marketing. The plan for this site is nothing of what you know or see today. It may or may not include us in the plans, but, that is all that I am going to say. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Howdy,

In my view it would be a cryin' shame to see this forum go down; the Wild Salmon Alliance was born right here and over all, excepting the few fishfarmers who lurk here, the vast majority of you have embraced this cause and I will not forget any of you or the support you have given.

Yeah, the slow access speed and these no-mind hacks have got me anxious too.
But I'm not leaving anywhere soon. I've been and am a member of several other forums and SFBC has by far and away made me feel the most welcome. Spreading my anti-fishfarming gospel and shooting my big-mouth off has got me censored on Fish-BC so I don't hang there much any more.

There is something worth saving here and the owners should strike up a dialogue with the membership and resolve this, PRONTO.

Standing for Wild Salmon,
Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

I am home now from Nootka Sound and will focus on the problems we are having......

Cheers ME

ps TT Thanks for doing your best by yourself moderating while I was busy guiding.

revisedhookedonfishing.jpg

www.goldriverfishinglodge.com
www.moutchabay.com/
Email: h00kedonfishing@hotmail.com

quote:Well for starters the new owners are a band or group of individuals with varying talents, they all put money in the pot to buy out the previous owner and formed a working partnership. Along with this site came all kinds of lucrative accounts for hosting and web building, marketing and multimedia. They have accounts that are worth thousands and thousands of dollars through development and marketing. The plan for this site is nothing of what you know or see today. It may or may not include us in the plans, but, that is all that I am going to say. Mason

Hummm-- clear as mud!!! Oh well-- along for the ride...

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Sooo....MyEscape....What have you found out.
I am thinking of sending a letter to:
B.C. Net Results Ltd.
3336 Ocean Blvd.
Victoria, B.C.
Canada, V9C 1W6
Ph. (250) 721-1173
Fax (250) 721-1173

Is this not the owners of this site?
Any information would be very much appreciated...

boc

Sooo....MyEscape....What have you found out.
I am thinking of sending a letter to:
B.C. Net Results Ltd.
3336 Ocean Blvd.
Victoria, B.C.
Canada, V9C 1W6
Ph. (250) 721-1173
Fax (250) 721-1173

Is this not the owners of this site?
Any information would be very much appreciated...

boc

quote:Originally posted by mason.jar

Well for starters the new owners are a band or group of individuals with varying talents, they all put money in the pot to buy out the previous owner and formed a working partnership. Along with this site came all kinds of lucrative accounts for hosting and web building, marketing and multimedia. They have accounts that are worth thousands and thousands of dollars through development and marketing. The plan for this site is nothing of what you know or see today. It may or may not include us in the plans, but, that is all that I am going to say. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]
So Hugh finally got some dough and no one, including Mason.Jar (who has also posted here as DHA and RVP and who knows what else and has been banned more times than Christie's has cookies) knows anything else.

The idea that someone has 'thousands and thousands of blah, blah, blah, blah...' is laughable, a couple grand worth of electricity doesn't amount to a hill of stale coffee beans in terms of web development.

I agree that there's no money in this place the content isn't as old as me but it's still moth-eaten and tired.:(

kidphotors6.jpg

Back