hacker has email account now?

Hi Deewar25, I don't believe that keeping it small is the case, as they are marketing nationally. I just picked up the latest copy of STS and killfish.com has an ad in there. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Please upgrade the forum software to the new version. it is far more secure and this is a simple change. This is a fantastic web site,a simple fix is all it needs. If money is the issue please find out how much you need and ask for donations via PayPal or something. You'll get the money! Thanks for the great forum!

This website is running the current most secure version Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06 There is other extremely secure free forum software available from other companies. The issue may be a conversion issue, where mass amounts of data may be lost, as this forum is run based on ASP and most of the best software runs on PHP. So while the software may be free converting the data table and such is more complicated and could be quite costly, sometimes thousands of dollars depending. Mason

quote:Originally posted by victoriaboater

Please upgrade the forum software to the new version. it is far more secure and this is a simple change. This is a fantastic web site,a simple fix is all it needs. If money is the issue please find out how much you need and ask for donations via PayPal or something. You'll get the money! Thanks for the great forum!

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

deewar I do searches on fishtactics all the time, its a big yellow button on the forum page?

I signed up for killfish, not too bad but the music friggen killed me:)

I too support a transfer if things don't improve quickly. One sad thing we should consider though - we will loose our entire history and database of information. One of the great things here are that you can query for a topic over a history of many years. That is a significant value in itself...

Ya...I don't like the base station they chose either, but I changed the music to the classic channel. Way better! I think they have like 25 different channels for music. Mason

quote:Originally posted by doubletake

deewar I do searches on fishtactics all the time, its a big yellow button on the forum page?

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Change the software if you can't fix it. A database is a database. You only lose data if you don't know how to do it. I have done harder stuff than that. I to am very concerned with this website. I don't think that an email harvest is at work, just some punks out for a joy ride. Having the correct or latest version of software is meaningless if you don't patch the code with the modifications needed to plug the holes. Those holes are what the hackers are using to "deface" this site. As for speed. Any good database expert would have that problem solved in no time. If you ask me I would re index the database and split it into different years if I had to. I would look through the log files and test the search times. One thing you can rule out is the web server. Don't believe me. Next time this site slows down try going to the Sportfishing.com homepage. You will be surprised how fast that is. Would it be in bad form to talk about other places to call home on the web?
GLG

The slowness of the forum is most certainly a database issue and I would have to agree with the above said. It's possible that the software is having problems adjusting to the new configuration[of which the forum was updated months ago]. I take it they did a complete reinstall onto the new system, and not just copied the material across. If the latter, then that's definately a possible problem. You may also find that you'll have to have the database program optimised to the new hardware. Working with any windows products is a security risk at any point anyway. There is no 100% secure solution, but there for sure are others out there that are much better than the one that they are using. Even the owners of the forum software have abandoned the project. Something to be said for that! Mason

Also, database migration is not always as simple as it may look. I do it every day!

quote:Originally posted by GLG

Change the software if you can't fix it. A database is a database. You only lose data if you don't know how to do it. I have done harder stuff than that. I to am very concerned with this website. I don't think that an email harvest is at work, just some punks out for a joy ride. Having the correct or latest version of software is meaningless if you don't patch the code with the modifications needed to plug the holes. Those holes are what the hackers are using to "deface" this site. As for speed. Any good database expert would have that problem solved in no time. If you ask me I would re index the database and split it into different years if I had to. I would look through the log files and test the search times. One thing you can rule out is the web server. Don't believe me. Next time this site slows down try going to the Sportfishing.com homepage. You will be surprised how fast that is. Would it be in bad form to talk about other places to call home on the web?
GLG

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

How many times do you have to get hacked before something gets done or how many supporters have to voice security concerns before something does something about it. You are losing customers and fast. The boys from this site have already started looking elsewhere. Any suggestions for another site to visit, until this security issues get sorted out and answered.

There are zillions of other websites out there, I would suggest one of the following fishtactics.com, fishbc.com, killfish.com, flybc.com, fishingwithrod.com, the list could go on but these are some of the sites that I visit. Mason

All have good and bad points, but are all at east BC oriented.

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

My World of Warcraft guilds forums are more secure than this lol

quote:Originally posted by doubletake

Ahh..fair enough..I was inside one of the forums when I went looking for it, and it wasn't to be found - its only on the 'home' forum page.

and chris...good point on the database...that's a tough one, but even the search here is a pain in the butt sometimes - very slow often, and sometimes comes up with errors.

I would definitely vote fishtactics, fishbc...but as I said, I'd imagine fishbc would be more equipped to handle the load, and it can't be that difficult to request a saltwater forum there so we don't clutter up the fly boys.

I am sure that any good well thought out website could handle the load, especially in this day and age. With Killfish having a focus on multimedia, my assumption would be that they could handle just about anything, but then that is not for me to say and I probably should not be posting this either. I also know the owner personally and he helps a lot of people, he is a really good guy. If you do call him tell him David sent you. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

I sent you an PM tonight did you get it?

That was a email from me. I just did a test and I see the hacker inserted their tag
" Sent From HaCKeD By HaYaLeT AnD CRaZy KariZMa by GLG"
in the subject line. And quit calling me a dick.
GLG

Hey GLG: Are you referring to me? I just seen the hacker handles and deleted forthwith.;) What's up? eman

It's all good

EM Yea you PM sent.

GLG...I am not going to open an email on my computer from a hacked site and I don't appreciate you using my account for your tests. email yourself if you want to discover the results. eman

It's all good

EM I did not test with your account. I did that with my account. I sent you a PM in regards to something else. I did not know when I sent the PM that it would put the hacker tag in the subject line of the email. The email does not contain a virus. It just has the subject line tagged with there mark. Clear as mud? Send me a PM if you want. GLG

Back