Greetings From the DEEP SOUTH

C

clippercreation

How yall doing? I am in the process of packing up my things from Sunbury, Ga. (just south of Savannah) to move to Nanaimo and I just wanted to introduce myself to all of you fine folk who post on here.

We have a forum very similar to this called "coastal outdoors" and it was an invaluable resource when I first moved to Georgia.

I grew up flyfishing on the Bow River in Calgary, and spent my boyhood spring breaks and summers with my aunt and uncle in "Madeira Park" and then graduated from Brentwood College in Mill Bay back in 87.

I can't tell you how excited I am to be moving back to BC, and to capitalize on the fishing.

I will readily admit that I know absolutely nothing about fishing the Nanaimo area, but will be spending many hours, reading over any old posts that I can find on here.

As a veteran of another forum, I know it gets aggravating when newbies show up asking lots of questions expecting to be spoon fed all the information, instead of doing some research for themselves. I promise yall, I will do my best to keep my questions to ones that I can't find the answers to in old posts.

that being said............ I have a few questions. lol
I found a web site that sells fishing guides. http://www.islandangler.net/
Does any one have any experience with them? and are they worth the money? I am sure that some of you will want to know about how much fishing knowledge I have before answering that question. so.....
I am going to rate my self as dumb as a sack of hammers when it comes to fishing the pacific.
I plan on capitalizing on all the fishing available, from bottom bouncing for lings, trolling for salmon, steelheading the cowichan, to flycasting for pinks in the estuaries. I am trying to learn as much as I can from reading before I get there. Also, Reading through some of the posts, yall have names for certain areas. "the fingers, The flat tops, etc. etc. can yall recommend a local chart that I can pick up in order to learn what yall are talking about?

The other thing I am wondering is that looking at the charts off of Nanaimo. The between Gabriola and Nanaimo looks fairly protected, is that a fair assessment? My thinking being that on " good days' I might be able to take my little spectrum out. If that is the case can I get by with down riggers that have a maximum depth of 100' or do I need to get deeper to troll for salmon

As I mentioned, dumb as a hammer as far as fishing goes, but have lived and work on boats for 20 years so without tooting my own horn, I know a fair amount of seamanship, and know when its safe to go and when its time to stay at the house.
I have owned/worked on "bass boats (owned), to 142' mega yacht (worked) have delivered sailboat from the Caribbean to various ports on the Eastern Seaboard. So I am comfortable being on the water and know the limitations of the boat I am always airing on the side of caution. I am the first to admit it, when it comes to battling the sea..... I am a coward.

I apologize for this lengthy post, didn't expect to babble on. Guess living in the south rubbed off on me.

I look forward to sharing any information that acquire once I am there and perhaps crossing paths with some of yall.

Tight Lines and following seas.
Graham

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site sir!!

Lots of great folks in your area that know a **** load about fishing and having a good time!

IM sure they will chime in!

Lorne

Welcome, with your knowledge of boats it won't take long to dial in to fishing the west coast.
good luck with the move.

CC, I've got a friend who just moved back to Victoria after 7 years in Jackson Mississippi. Doesn't miss the heat but he sure does misses the Southern woman. Welcome

Island angler is a great place to start go to the reports section and scroll down to Nanaimo some answers to your questions are there.

I'm sure we can tell you where those spots are when you get going.

Hey Graham, if you went to Brentwood and got out in Saanich Inlet rowing, then that's about how rough it can get around Gabriola on the inside. It likely get's a bit rougher on the east side of Gabriola at the Thrasher Rock end where the fishing is good, but likely only if it's blowing from the E or NE off the open water. Beware Dodd's Narrows on a tide change between Mudge Island (part of the Decourcy Group) and Cedar (vancouver Island). The current and whirlpools can pull you out of control/crash you on the rocks/etc. I used to live there long ago. At low tide you can walk into the caves/hollows the water has carved out of the sandstone below the high water marks.

If you were grad 87, you might recall my brother inlaw Tim. He looked like Ferris Bueller back then.LOL. I think some called him Bueller or Ferris.

Welcome back

Welcome to the site. Head on down to the Harbour Chandler on Esplanade in Nanaimo.

http://www.harbourchandler.ca/

They can get you going in the right direction with boating and fishing gear. You will end up hating that store lol (joking).

There is literally a ton of information on here about fishing the area. Research and keep posting up.

thank yall for the warm welcome. look forward to trading info.
Nautigirl, I do remember Tim, aka Bueller, but for the life of me can't remember his last name. I was only there for my senior year.
Until, I can post some pics of BC fish, thought I would share a pic of a Winter Flounder, caught in one of our small tidal creeks. small flounder.jpg
Fish was caught one a 1/16th jig with a mud minnow in about 12' of water.

Yall is welcome here!

I caught a nice 3-lb Rainbow in the Bow when I was a kid, long story... would take many-beers.

that being said............ I have a few questions. lol
can yall recommend a local chart that I can pick up in order to learn what yall are talking about?

Graham

Welcome to the site... some of us use this map as a handy reference to the fishing spots.
It's not a chart but I found it to be just as good and it's waterproof.
I think there is 3 or 4 different maps and I would recommend to get all of them as you might want to explore.
http://www.fishnmap.com/

GLG

Nice flounder Graham!

attachment.php

Oh, man !! That photo right there brings back the memories of fishing the south atlantic intracoastal waterways !!

Hey Graham.... I know where you were {Liberty line} and I came from just south of there- Glynn county !! I used to fish those tidal creeks every day. Lots of flounder, stingrays and shrimp !!

I miss the warm summer breezes, sunny days, white, sandy beaches, babes, bikinis, butts, boobs.... well, you know what I mean. If not give it some time and it will hit ya.Especially over the long winter.

I'm in Nanaimo now so be sure to look me up when you get here. Oh, bring me a Big Willie Burger from Willie's Wienie Wagon in Brunswick. I miss those, too.

What route are you driving here on??

In regards to the thread titled "Spinal Tap", I made a post about getting stuck in mash mud. Look at Graham's picture. That is marsh mud behind him. Its like quicksand, only slippery and slimy. Stepping in that is like stepping in a 40ft deep pile of warm, wet seal crap. If you ai't got something to hold on to, you will be sucked under in minutes.

Welcome onboard Graham! Me personally don't know much about the Nanaimo intricacies of fishing but if you venture to the south island I can tell you a thing or two. Make sure you come to the SFBC fishing derby April 20/21 in Sooke - you will be meeting lots of forum members then. Cheers!

Salty, if your from Glynn County, you probably know exactly where I was. little feeder creek off of "Village Creek" St. Simons. Fished for 6 hours and caught a limit of reds, half a dozen trout and that doormat. gotta love fishing in January.

haven't figured out the route yet. still have some time.

I will definitely keep you posted and look you up when I get there.

Graham

Salty, if your from Glynn County, you probably know exactly where I was. little feeder creek off of "Village Creek" St. Simons. Fished for 6 hours and caught a limit of reds, half a dozen trout and that doormat. gotta love fishing in January.

haven't figured out the route yet. still have some time.

I will definitely keep you posted and look you up when I get there.

Graham

I know Village Creek very well. I got my kayak in Brunswick and that was the first place I took it. Put in at the old delapitated boat ramp off S. Harrington behind Bennies Red Barn. The little creek had almost no water at low tide, but I made it out toward the inlet and crossed over to the other side where the oyster beds are. Got a few sheepshead and limited out on the reds- caught alot of overslots, too. The trout bite was slow.

If you are still going to be there a while, I can give you a few other places to fish.One of the best places is the marsh field on the south side of the Jekyll causeway about 1/2 mile from the island. If you got a flats boat or a yak, you don't have to go far to find the reds tailing. Use a clear glitter 4inch DOA under a popping cork right at the edge of the field. There are some armbreakers out there.

Another great spot is under the Lanier bridge. On the Bwk side, you'll find a tiny boat ramp { nice, new one} on the left side. Put in there and go up the creek towars the DNR station. About 3/4 mile up, take a right turn into a smaller creek. Anywhere around that intersection, you'll limit out. Good mix of reds and trout. Just be out before the tide drops or you'll be hanging around for the next incoming.

One place to NEVER fish: anywhere along 303 leaving Bwk heading towards the truck stops unless you are in the S Brunswick river. That area around Jones bait turns to a mud bed at low tide and the water doesn't just ease out. Its more like you have water one minute, the next minute you are sitting on mud. And, there are too many stingrays out there anyway.

Are you fishing any other areas?? McIntosh has a few good holes, too.

This was taken within 1/4 mile of where Graham caught that flounder. Notice the sandbar in the middle of the photo. On a low tide, an oyster bed surfaces along the edges. Beaching the yak there, you could cover the entire river bed and catch everything from redfish {red drum}, sheepshead, trout, flounder, stingray, small blacktip and hammerhead sharks and, if you have a castnet, tons of shrimp. About 30ft behind where the picture was taken is the oceanside inlet. Drop a crab rap or 8 right there, fish the tide through a cycle and collect your crab traps. Then, you go home and have a low country boil ! Yehaw !!

Attachments

• fishing and traveling 004.jpg
    fishing and traveling 004.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 50
Hey Graham, welcome back to the great white north. I would say that Y'all is welcome here as long as y'all stops saying "y'all" :cool:

Back