Grady V Bayliner...no brainer, right?

I just read this thread and re-lived my boat purchase. I went thru this same thought process when I purchased my current boat and wrestled over the older/higher quality vs. newer/lesser quality boat thoughts. At the time, I decided I was buying the boat for the long term (thought I wasn't going to get "two footitis") and ended up pushing the decision off for one season in order to put a few more dollars in the bank for the boat. For me, it was the right decision as I was able to find a newer version of the boat that I really wanted (a 4 year old Grady with 50 hrs on the boat and engines) and that met our needs. So I might take "door number 3" and select the newer Grady or the newer Pursuit or the newer Abermarle when the right buy opportunity presents itself.

Like most, I overanalyzed the purchase at the time (that was half the fun) but I did have the following principles for my purchase which drove my preferred hull, engine, electronics, layout and amenities (see stand up washroom for wife which falls into the "happy wife, happy life" category): 1) The boat is not an investment. The money I put into it will be sunk and my budget should reflect that; 2) The boat has to be safe, efficient and comfortable transportation; 3) The boat has to be as low maintenance as possible; 4) The boat has to meet [my wife’s] needs when she is on it; and, 5) The boat has to be the boat I want to fish on either by myself or with a group of people.

Well said Teja. Not buying a boat for the chicks, but the one i've tricked into staying with me has similar requirements. Apparently hanging the cooch off the transom for a **** doesn't go over so well for her....haha Not a bad move to add one season to the bank!

There are a lot of good boats out there.
First you have to know your budget and then establish what features are imortant to you and of course don't forget the better half.
Secondly take your time looking.
In my case the following things were important (not in any particular order).
Full height front deck so when a greeny goes over the front 99% of the water does not end up in the boat. A fuel tank that can be replaced without having to cut the floor. Built in fish locker. A cuddy. Soft top. Hydraulic steering. Fairly deep "V" at the transom. 1998 or newer. No wood in the construction. No bottom paint. Low hours. A clean well maintaned boat. Fresh water boat. A bunk trailer that is designed to carry a fully loaded boat. A good price. I looked for about 3 years and found a 21' Boston Whaler that fit my requirements.
GOOD LUCK!

I think it is important to just spend a little time in which ever brand a person decides to go with. Before I bought my trophy I was convinced it was grady all the way. Everything you hear is they are the best and other brands are somewhat junk. After spending time in some different rides I realized the grady name alone goes along way in peoples opinions. I myself found the rides very similar if not equal but found the lay outs of the trophy way better. It would be interesting to take a similar model grady and say trophy both brand new and looked after the same for say 10 or 20 years and see how they compare after. Keep in mind would be paying a large difference of cash for the grady name. That being said, Alk has a good point , and the fact I would have to cut my floor to get at my fuel tank is reason to maybe never go trophy again.

I'm biassed - go Grady. The other really nice boat is the 32 foot Luhrs Open with diesels. Nice, nice boat. Not to trash Bayliner, but they are a production boat and the fit and finish isn't as nice. Planning for things like being able to change out your fuel tanks by having removable floor boards, and having easy access below to install bilge pumps etc is very nice. Other thing with Bayliner is the hull fiberglass isn't as thick. Not a big deal unless you are planning on some off shore action.

If you appreciate it, I think you gotta go quality.
Have owned Bayliner in the past and are suitable for light use but found it lacked in the heavy going, too much flex.
Owned a 22 foot Marlin W/A for 12 years and really stood up well, great boat.
Took a close look at Seaswirl and others before deciding to go high end when we wanted to move up.
Narrowed the choices to Grady 258, Boston Whaler 255 and Albemarle 268.
Found the best deal on an Albe first.
No regrets, had it offshore at Nootka last year and was an awesome experience.
Couldn't get the smile off my face cruising thru 1 1/2 meter swells at 27 knots!
For long term use/abuse and value/resale go quality, I don't think you'd regret it.
GA

I like my 84 Trophy 28ft 10ft beam

Attachments

• summer 2010 051.jpg
    summer 2010 051.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 90
I went through a recent dilemma and after researching there just was no comparison. I ended up with a 2001 GW Marlin 30' 10'6" beam with twin 250 with 600 hrs. Boat was dry dockedd for 4 years for 50k. Looking at trophy's and campions version's for the price there is absolutely no comparison. Ive also got an older 18' double eagle which will do the same as any 22' trophy will do and for alot less! look in the usa for boats very resonable especially with our dollar.

I'm going through the same debate myself right now, newer lower quality or slightly older higher quality? I'm hoping to find a deal out of the States on a Grady or a boat of similar quality, does anyone on here have a recommendation of a boat broker they have used out of the states? I've seen a bunch of nice looking boats on different websites, but aside from flying to the East Coast to check them out I'm kind of stumped on the next move to make.

As long as there are not big cross currents I can run all 4 no problem, now if I could find some competent fishing buddies we could start stacking 2 on each one and troll a wall of hooks LOL gets a little hairy to say the least during sockeye

Not bashing - just saying. No offense intended:
Grady has developed both a deserved status and an "I drank-the-koolaid" reputation.
Gradys deteriorate over time, as any boat in a corrosive environment will. Systems will need repair, upgrading or replacement - hence rigorous insurance requirements for older boats.
Grady could improve, too: still using balsa cored floors while most other reputable builders have removed all structural wood;
- get some of the excess weight out by using better design and engineering - it's wasteful and expensive, not better.

I don't ever remember reading about people dying because of a failure of the vessel, whether Trophy, Grady or something built in a guy's garage on the weekends. (ignoring the cruise liners or Queen of the North here - professionals? still big oops; still can't fault the vessels.). Big trouble is caused by operator impairment, inexperience, error, poor maintenance or just bad luck - falling overboard while taking a pee.

How many Gradys around S.V.I. or the lower mainland (not guiding) ever see 200 hours per year or blue water? I see many more tin boats than expensive Gradys bringing in the fish off our west coast.

A Mercedes doesn't make a good driver any more than a Grady makes a good boater or fisherman. Experience does that. A well-maintained Trophy on the water is a far better boat than any Grady at the dock.
Just sayin'

I have owned both, a Grady Seafarer & my current boat. just like Ofishal's ride
I put my Grady to her limits & she performed well & would take more than I my body & nerves could ever endure
Grady's are a great fishing platforms & built & designed mainly for the warmer climates. My family of 4 growing kids do not enjoy boating/fishing if the weather turns nasty or rainy. the Grady only protects the captain & first mate under the canvas, the extra passengers are out in the elements (same profile in my buddy's marlin & 282 sailfish)

My 2860 Trophy is a hardtop & can seat my whole brood in a warm & dry environment & the bonus is she can sleep 6
I will not use my Bayliner as a high speed fishing vessel like the Grady or head out in lumpier waters, her pedigree is better suited for my families enjoyment..............but eh if the do not want to come I will find ways to limit her design

Ps I have buddies that guide have ran 7+ years on the bayliner hulls with no offshore issues (Big Bank hunters) & have thousands of hrs on them

Last edited by a moderator:
I can sit 6 yes 6 folks inside my cabin with heat very comfortably. Two leather clad helm seats and two very wide passenger seats that are fake leather clad that accept two very large adults side by side behind the more luxurious forward seats. We do not have a luxurious cuddy to hide in. We do not have a full head.

We do have 10'3" of fish killing deck space however. All on a 23' platform!!!

Yup alum. will B my next ride John ...................But shez not Bayliner nor Grady, but an non-ferrous advantage Eh!!!

As I can read, and I'm sure you folks, the options can be somewhat endless and all gain and lose in some respect. Its a search I don't plan to make quickly, but only want to make once. I have lots of buddies with boats that keep me fishing for the time being haha!
With a hand in metal, an aluminum boat is a serious consideration. It is what I fish off and I love it for its durabilty, flexabilty, and all around usefulness. But, with a 50yr old back in a 28yr old body, its ruggednes is felt to the core!
There is a boat builder on this side of the pond, that builds a beautfiul craft that is worth a look, and I imagine its ride is a little softer than most ALU's I see...

Attachments

• boat0027.jpg
    boat0027.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 155
Oh yeah the whole thing is made of aluminum and just hose it down no fuss no muss. No sperry topsiders on this vessel. Xtra tuff's allowed:cool:.

Sculpin, I'm getting the impression that your aluminum ride got a nice dinner with wine and roses on Valentine's day, with Barry White playing on the stereo! It's good you can just hose it down after. lol

Sculpin, I'm getting the impression that your aluminum ride got a nice dinner with wine and roses on Valentine's day, with Barry White playing on the stereo! It's good you can just hose it down after. lol

More like a bucket of chicken and a sixpack of Lucky's lol!!!

Sorry for the hijack FB. I got a little carried away:eek::).

Last edited by a moderator:
As I can read, and I'm sure you folks, the options can be somewhat endless and all gain and lose in some respect. Its a search I don't plan to make quickly, but only want to make once. I have lots of buddies with boats that keep me fishing for the time being haha!
With a hand in metal, an aluminum boat is a serious consideration. It is what I fish off and I love it for its durabilty, flexabilty, and all around usefulness. But, with a 50yr old back in a 28yr old body, its ruggednes is felt to the core!
There is a boat builder on this side of the pond, that builds a beautfiul craft that is worth a look, and I imagine its ride is a little softer than most ALU's I see...

Nice tin can. but if your really considering non ferrous locally built craft, on my side of the pond

http://www.ironwoodboats.com/index.php

Very sharp entry & took more beating on the west coast. for when I was following this boat the large reverse chimes directed the spay away from the boat. My Grady & I backed off the pursuit in those big rollers with a curly white top

Here is one up 4sale on CL
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/2874768071.html

Attachments

• 2003 037.jpg
    2003 037.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 2003 033.jpg
    2003 033.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 2003 034.jpg
    2003 034.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 110