Grady White 228 moisture readings

jcon12

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a 2002 Grady white seafarer 228 from the east coast (USA). It’s priced well and has a very low hour 2011 yami on it.

The initial survey that the selling dealership performed noted moisture in the hull around the aft corners and going forward a few feet. The said the knock test was perfect tho and no concerns

Based on the year and design I imagine this would be the balsa core that is used in the transom and wraps the rear hull.

Does anyone have experience with this hull and a similar situation? I’m just deciding whether I spend the money to have a full survey conducted or not.

Maybe looks to be sitting a little low as well as no scuppers are visible?

Attachments

• A9E805EE-9A7D-49C4-8C07-BF9890B5D7F6.jpeg
    A9E805EE-9A7D-49C4-8C07-BF9890B5D7F6.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 153
  • A4979D57-D7E4-4057-8082-6506D7BAD1E9.jpeg
    A4979D57-D7E4-4057-8082-6506D7BAD1E9.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 154
I have a 223 and I went out and measured the scupper location on mine. I have bottom paint and the center of the scupper is 1 1/2" below the top edge of the bottom paint on the stern. It is under the water line. It does look a little low. He may have been burning the aux tank which is forward of the main tank. It can make it butt heavy if main tank is full.

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a 2002 Grady white seafarer 228 from the east coast (USA). It’s priced well and has a very low hour 2011 yami on it.

The initial survey that the selling dealership performed noted moisture in the hull around the aft corners and going forward a few feet. The said the knock test was perfect tho and no concerns

Based on the year and design I imagine this would be the balsa core that is used in the transom and wraps the rear hull.

Does anyone have experience with this hull and a similar situation? I’m just deciding whether I spend the money to have a full survey conducted or not.

I have a 223 and I was riding a little low in the water as well...turns out I had a pod full of water..oops

Hi all,

If the readings were the hull sides coming forward, they are solid fiberglass sides, no core. not sure how a moisture reader works shooting thru fiberglass

If the readings were the hull sides coming forward, they are solid fiberglass sides, no core. not sure how a moisture reader works shooting thru fiberglass
The dealer said "damp on the moisture meter running from transom corners forward approx 5 feet - along the side of the hull"

Thought I read they had some core along there as the water typically came from the rub rails.

Do you have a picture of the Port Side?

They have a drain for the back fish well that sits right at the water line. I look at mine every time I walk down the dock to see where she’s sitting. When my pod was full of water it was almost under the water.

Best bad picture of my water line!

Attachments

• 659928AE-9DB9-4BFF-9293-C35C9D293492.jpeg
    659928AE-9DB9-4BFF-9293-C35C9D293492.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 133
The dealer said "damp on the moisture meter running from transom corners forward approx 5 feet - along the side of the hull"

Thought I read they had some core along there as the water typically came from the rub rails.
My 228 was not cored. Put a thru hull 3 feet up from the transom solid glass

Here is a recent picture of my 1999 228 sitting low at the stern due to the heavier 4 strokes, the level is at the bottom paint. I never had a moisture reading when I bought the hull 2 years ago so not really sure if there is any moisture in the transom. My plan is to keep the main aft 92 gallon US fuel tank empty and just use the aux 56 gallon US tank between the seats to keep more weight forward.

Attachments

• 17117AB4-3C46-4B05-8EE3-7C60AFB10AA8.jpeg
    17117AB4-3C46-4B05-8EE3-7C60AFB10AA8.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 94
Back