Going To Dark Side

TIG steel is not hard. If you can blaze, you can TIG steel. Aluminum is far harder to do. I can TIG steel and stainless, but have never done a completely nice TIG weld project.

First time I've ever heard that. Kinda contradicting ,there's a lot more to it. A ****** tig weld is a bad weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is the fact the steel is much more forgiving on temperature. Melting point steel is higher so not melted to to much melted is a greater range.
Meant TIG aluminum is not satisfactory.

Tig (gtaw) aluminum isnt necessarily harder, but there is more variables. You have Frequency, AC balance, up slope/down slope and you can add pulse is your machine has that feature. So it sounds complicated but once you know how to set up your machine the actual process of running beads isn't all that difficult. As previously stated for a large job like welding a hull a mig push pull system is for sure the way to go but I would do any fancy topside stuff with the tig torch.

IMO tig is harder because you are moving two different things at the same time. Your holding your tig torch in one hand and manipulating your filler rod in the other. It just takes more practice. Again I highly suggest doing some of your own testing of your welds. Bend tests, macro etch tests, and visual. Once you can see that your getting the proper root and side wall fusion it builds confidence the right way. Start with a good sound weld then try to make them look good. Again I have seen some pretty aluminum welds fail miserably.

For welding out a hull with thicker materials encountered like 3/16 to 1/4 inch and some transoms up to 3/8" of an inch, then mig with a higher amperage machine is the way to go. Good point about the household power output.

There are manufacturers of automatic tig torches that auto feed your filler material for you freeing up one hand. I have never used one but would like to try one someday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is tig a lot harder to learn for someone who never welded anything before? I'm trying to get a sense as to how difficult it is for someone to learn who has never welded anything before. Don't need to become a pro, just good enough to weld together one of those pre-cut kits. My time is cheap., actually it's free.[/i

If you really want to learn it won't take long. I had zero metal experience of any kind when I started polishing at a local marine manufacturer. Put in my own time at lunch and a couple hours every Saturday for 6 mos and was proficient enough with a TIG torch that I was asked to weld for money. I know that harbourcraft uses MIG (spool guns)on all there hulls and TIG for railings and accessories. The Welders there make huge gnarly welds that they grind smooth. Good penetration is more important than looks. Try it you might like it. Wish I would have gone that route as a lad rather than carpentry.

One other point: once you master TIG welding and know what your looking for, MIG and Stick welding come pretty easy. At least they did for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back