Getting the size right: what size boat for multiple objectives?

Saxe Point

I posted this in another thread and realized I should have put it out there by itself.
Here's a related question and a tough one. It involves the always difficult question of what size of boat to get. Of course I realize that it's all about understanding your needs in a boat and appreciating that you will always have to make compromises as no boat does everything perfectly. This is a particular challenge for me, because I want to do so many things with my next boat.

I am considering a Tolman or similar pilothouse in the 21-25 foot range. The reason I like them is because they would allow me to do so much. They offer: weather protection for fishing the lousy weather days, which I like to fish; V berth and sufficient space for longer trips and camping out, which I want to do more of (an Inside Passage trip to Alaska with lots of fishing is a dream that I want to make real); Swiftsure, Bajo Reef, Rivers Inlet and offshore tuna trips tells me I should build at least a 21. I think a Tolman (or similar) in the 21-25 foot range will serve all these purposes. Plus the Tolman will get 4-5 mpg with a 115-140 HP motor, so the economy is great.

But I also want a boat that's easy to launch and handle for those regular days when I just want to go out for the morning from Esquimalt Anglers or Sooke. They are so close that its great to be able to just drop the boat in and go, and pull it back home with as little hassle as possible. Will a 21 be much better in this respect than a 25?

Many people say that the extra 1-4 feet will always be worth it, but I'm not sure. Again, it's all about trade offs and I'm looking to balance a lot of things.

I would be very grateful for the wisdom and advice of all of you guys who have struggled with this and those of you who do one or all off these things that I want to do in my bigger boat.

Many thanks in advance.

I've gone from 18' to 19' to 21' to my current 24' in the past 5 years...hoping to hit 28-29' in the next couple :).
I've had all 4 boats on a trailer 100% of the time. Launching and loading the 24' by myself is no more difficult than the 18'...if you know what you're doing and launching at a ramp with a dock, I don't really think size is a factor.
If you're doing multi-night excursions, bigger is definitely better. For me, I do about 10 multi-day cruising type trips/year and about 5 multi-day fishing trips. The boat I have is not a fishing boat, but works...but it is much more comfortable for cruising with the family than fishing boats of the same size.

The big difference you will notice as you increase in size is the amount of time spent at the fuel dock.

I think you have to ask yourself how many times a year you will need the extra size and capability of a larger boat.
I know a few guys who have gone bigger in order to fish offshore 3 or 4 times a year.
It's all good for a while, and then they find they are not fishing as much as they used to.
Because the boat is bigger, it's harder to launch and load on your own.
They take up more space, and are generally more costly to maintain and operate.

all things to consider before sizing up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went from 21 feet center console to 228G GW this year which is just under 23 feet. No question being in a cabin makes a big difference to your ability to be more comfortable and fish in foul weather. Its dry, and, I can actually have a conversation with other people in the cabin, its much quieter. The weight of my boat went up 1000 lbs which is noticeable. It handles better in rough water. I trailer and I see no difference is launching at all. I do it solo. I've got a power winch which helps. I've gone from 150 HP to 225 and notice no difference in my fuel bill as i run the T8 most of the day anyway. You won't be driving out the Beechy to launch any more because you can get from Esquimalt Anglers to the Head in 25 minutes. Save the milage on your car. The only negatives for me, when I drag the boat up to Nootka you will notice you've got more weight behind your ride which means being more diligent and driving slower some times, and, it takes more work to clean and prep the boat before and after fishing. Other than that, I wouldn't turn back to where I was at this point in my life.

My boat is 24 and I went up from a 17 ft Whaler. The benefits - increased safety for fishing offshore, ability for 2 to sleep on board, having a big fuel tank for extended trips, having a head and some shelter to keep my spouse ejoying being on board and being able to fish with up to 4 people comfortably. I also spend all my fishing time using my kicker and use the main for running only. Unlike the others I do not like to launch or retrieve alone so that does cut down on being able to fish alone. For me I would rather fish with my buddies than alone anyways. I have also had to sit at the boat ramp and wait for the tide to rise to get on/off the trailer and use a ramp with a dock.

On the downside everything costs more - moorage, insurance, maintenance and especially fuel. Now I try to take 3 people in total for most trips and we split the fuel costs evenly...I do remember the old boat and spending $50 bucks in gas would last for days. I find myself doing more longer trips 3-4 days and fewer day trips. I keep my boat on the trailer.

Gene

I have no idea what your budget is but the one boat that comes to mind reading your requirements is the Double Eagle 206ext. 20'6", 2650lbs, 20 degree hull. Just about the best balance of seaworthy, trailer-ability, cost and fuel economy out there. That is when looking at new boats.

About 50k for a 2012 model with a new 200hp engine and kicker.

main_image_product.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back