Garmin 7410XSV Multifunction

Teja

Does anyone have any specific comments, positive or negative, with respect to the Garmin 74xxXSV series of multifunction units? Switching out an older Raymarine multifunction which means, fortunately or unfortunately, pretty much everything including the radar has to be changed. Thanks in advance!

I was just looking at that unit. It looks like it has a lot of bang for the buck. I'd look forward to seeing some comments as well.

I installed a pair 7610s with a b175-hw ducer in a friends boat last season, nice units but they have been very glitchy....
His units drop the sonar pretty often and the only way to get it back is to cut power to the network for a min or 2?
Not really impressed with Garmin support to say the least.
Depending on what pieces you have and what you want there may be better options IMO

have a visit to the hull truth electronics forum
you may find a few threads there good or bad
but you will find what ever gear or brand you have
some like there stuff others have issues
still getting used to my Simrad stuff and to be honest the chirp side is not miles ahead of good proven
50/200 P66 set up. out on the chuck .

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum-19/

have a visit to the hull truth electronics forum
you may find a few threads there good or bad
but you will find what ever gear or brand you have
some like there stuff others have issues
still getting used to my Simrad stuff and to be honest the chirp side is not miles ahead of good proven
50/200 P66 set up. out on the chuck .

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum-19/
Agreed, on both.
THT is a great source of info and I would put my Furuno 585/M270W combo up against the 7610/B175 combo for our usage.
I only used the Garmin for the week so I am sure I would dial it in better with time but nothing I seen gave me sonar envy......

I have had 6-7 non-Chirp's & 1 CHIRP (Garmin 840xs) So far I am big on CHIRP. My Garmin 840xs froze-up initially & needed a s/w update. It is now perfect. I have been a Garmin customer since 2003 & think their customer service is great. The hull truth is great except that most of the posters are not fishing for Salmon. I have the hunch that Salmon are harder to mark than other species but not much fact to support this.
Garmin Fishing maps have 1 foot contour lines which is great.

The hull truth is great except that most of the posters are not fishing for Salmon. I have the hunch that Salmon are harder to mark than other species but not much fact to support this.
Thanks to all for the comments above. I have poured thru The Hull Truth and feel a little bit more confident with the direction I am heading. I was wondering the same thing about the salmon being harder to mark than the species that most of the people on The Hull Truth are fishing for. The reality is the new technology is far superior to my existing Raymarine gear. The Panoptix technology really interests me but that will be for another, particularly if the pricing for it comes down.

Semperfi on THT has great prices & advice on the subject. 2 years ago his advice was Garmin CHIRP for Salmon.
Good advice indeed ... I read a fair bit of what he and a few others posted on THT and finally pulled the trigger this week. Equipment will be installed in the next couple weeks and I am looking very forward to using it during the coming winter season.

I have had 6-7 non-Chirp's & 1 CHIRP (Garmin 840xs) So far I am big on CHIRP. My Garmin 840xs froze-up initially & needed a s/w update. It is now perfect. I have been a Garmin customer since 2003 & think their customer service is great. The hull truth is great except that most of the posters are not fishing for Salmon. I have the hunch that Salmon are harder to mark than other species but not much fact to support this.
Garmin Fishing maps have 1 foot contour lines which is great.

Same here... 820XS and a Thru-hull chirp 'ducer. Works awesome, you know where the fish are and you can usually tell salmon apart from other species. Upgrading to one of the new transom mounts (garmin just released them) for downscan plus even better chirp next year!

I phoned Harbour Chandler Nanaimo last week and was told their having a sale Nov.25/16 and they gave some great prices on electronics.I'm trying to decide on a new chirp transducer etc..

Back