Fish finder/Chart plotter

Hi New to the forum and been out of the game for quite awhile. I am just starting to get back into it after a couple of kids that are now getting older. So I am looking for a good Fish finder chart plotter unit to put into my aluminum that I have been working on rigging for the past couple years . I am now at the point of electronics
I know things have come a long ways since I last owned a finder (can you say CRT display). I was leaning towards Lowrance but I like Garmin too and have not ruled out Raymarine or any others, just have been to busy to get out and look at them.
I want to be able to see bottom structure in or around 1200' of water it must be able to withstand the elements as I am in an open boat with no top and I will be rinsing it down after each trip out. I would appreciate some opinions and comments on why one is better then the other And or model numbers I should look at to compare.
I have a budget of up to $1500 but would prefer to spend around $1000. Screen size is not important probably around 7 or 8 inch. Want to add radar in a year or two. Any suggestions on makes and models and opinions on why would be greatly appreciated Also why not opinions are welcome too. Thanks in advance
Tried a search on here but did not come up with much in the way of comparisons, maybe it was the way I worded the search

I have a Garmin 720s with an Airmar B60 through hull tansducer that works just great! The 740s is pretty much the same unit. You should be able to get the package with a map card for the coastal area from Puget Sound to Dixon Entrance, both sides of the Island for under $1500. The Garmin HD18 or 24 can be added later on a plug and play basis.

I would say the lowrance HDS 7 would work, upgrade to the p66 airmar transducer, and you would be good. If u are in Nanaimo or close I would go to Harbour chandler, talk to mike, Denise or Dane and they will hook you up. There isn't a better store to buy fishing electronics.

When I bought my electronic package it was not so much about price as it was about service, and Harbour Chandler won hands down. They matched the best price I could find(and they were not that far off on the best price) They had it all in stock which the other guy didn't and walked me though the whole install and even updated my card and were very helpful in so many ways. Just upgraded the transducer a couple weeks ago and same thing very helpful and had the best price. Defiantly go for the service if the price is close. Had a buddy buy all new electronics, great deal, he has had 2 problems now and has had to send them back to be fixed and on top of that he was with out them for almost a month last summer and had to pay for the shipping to have them serviced. I had a problem with mine last summer the day before my big trip to Ucluelet, Phoned Chandler and Mike came in early the morning we were going though and fixed the problem while we looked around the store and we were on are way in under a hour. Another time they walked me though a problem while I was out in the boat fishing. Some times the best price is not the best deal. Chandlers know there stuff, usually have the best price and if there is any problems they fix them not the manufacture. That in my option is the best deal.

Hi Guys thanks for the info so far. I Need pros and cons for different brands models ect. Im all for service and don't mind paying a little more to get service in the future providing its not a lot more, but I am on the mainland in LML. I just udated my profile with a location. what was the thoughts for going with a different transducer other then the stock one and how much more was it. Thanks

I've got a HDS10 with the Platinum chip,more than what you are looking for but would recommend Lowrance. Paired that up with a Lowrance Broadband radar and a Standard Horizion Matrix AIS+ GX2150 VHF. The VHF is a sort of poor mans radar. The whole system is all interfaced together and works like a charm. I just got a new Airmar P79 in-hull transducer made a big difference over the stock transducer. $135 at Harbour Chandler. I would shop around and find your best price and then phone Harbour Chandler and see what they can do. Pretty sure they ship for free same day.

Not sure what you mean by "stock" transducers as not many sounder/plotters come with transducers. A basic dual frequency transom mount transducer will cost you about $120 and you can pay a grand or so for a 1KW in hull mount unit. I'd suggest you use google to do a search on transducers to do comparisons and figure out which will work best for your needs. You can also check West Marine's website for transducers - they have an "Advisor" section that might help you decide.

bottom structure in 1,200' of water?? your budget is not near big enough for that sort of application. a transducer capable of doing that is going to cost more than your budget. now tie that to a unit that is capable of deciphering that signal and you will probably add a black box and then a MFD. so double your budget and add some, then you will be able to see some pretty fine detail at 1,200'. for that sort of application you are talking CHIRP all the way.

Boyz-I just picked up an elite 7 with the card and a transducer for 749 from HC-downscan is 799 if you want it and /or for a little more you can pair it with the airmar p-66 transducer which is a better Trans. IMO. Trying to get it on the back deck is taking a lot of thought. LOL

I have a 740 s with a p66 transducer and radar. In my opinion its a pretty decent unit. I think its in your budget around 1000$. The charts were 100 bucks and the transducer was 120 i think. The screen is visible in heavy sun areas and its pretty easy to use. I have never owned one but the HDS lowrances look pretty nice too.

Thanks for all the input guys I ended up going halfers with brother inlaw and we went with the HDS7 touch. He ordered it and I will pick it up next week or the week after. I appreciate all the help

Back