FYI - New Free Public Boat Ramp Ucluelet

uclueletcharters

Hi All,

Thought you may want to all be aware a new FREE public boat ramp has just opened in Ucluelet finally! I found a map of the ramp location for everyone the piles are in place for the up and coming ramp side floating finger but not sure when that will be going in. I will in the next few days take a couple pics and post them.

Click here----------> Ucluelet Boat Ramp Map

Nice.. Great to hear... Anyone know if the parking area and launch are staying open at toqat?

Great news. Always wondered why Ukee did not have a public ramp. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Because Ucluelet obviously sees the benefit of sportfishing to its community and therefore the need to be attractive to it. If Sooke realized how many more boats it could bring into town from say Pedder or Cheanuh or even Victoria if better services were offered, but have all those boaters then spend money for lunches, gas, tackle etc in Sooke then they would not hesitate to subsidize a little boat ramp.

I think that's the idea behind it providing services that are added bonuses to visiting the area making it more attractive. And that's so true the community gets it all back through hotels, restaurants, fuel and the list goes on. Ukee is really doing a great job at promoting Ucluelet as a fishing destination among other things to do in the area. I have heard talk about dock facility expansions as well as the district owns several other docks along the inlet. I'm sure many of you have heard of the Ucluelet Salmon Derby if not it's a summer long fishing derby with monthly prizes and a year end fish fish off for the top 50 fish weighed in all summer. There were a couple small hickups last year but other than that it was a lot of fun and there were many cash prizes given out. The derby is cheap to enter so everyone can join and proceeds go to Thornton Creek Hatchery.

Click here to view --------> Ucluelet Salmon Ladder Derby Website

Cheers All...I doubt the parking area and launch will be open as it poses a 'potential' liability issue not to mention that the government is paying the Native Band for "lost revenue" so they will receive their money without the necessity to provide any services.

Cheers All...I doubt the parking area and launch will be open as it poses a 'potential' liability issue not to mention that the government is paying the Native Band for "lost revenue" so they will receive their money without the necessity to provide any services.

Is the compensation you speak of confirmed or speculative? source?

The Ucluelet public boat launch is good news but parking is a major factor for any boat ramp. I hope this is addressed in the near future.

Additional moorage is always welcome as well. The folks from Toquart are going to have to do something this year. I hope they can make something work as I know a few that have been mooring and camping there for many years. Hopefully they can find a spot in Ucluelet.

Thanks for the updates.

Toquart is shut down fully there is a notice through the health authority online. On the entrance from Port Albion there is a big sign that has been posted that states it's closed with the BC Government logo, health authority logo and one other. Apparently the oyster beds down there are the tailings from the mill that processed the rock and soil from the mine located in land from the mill site that was located at Toquart in the 1960's because they needed the water source to process it. Arsenic, Cobalt and one other lethal compound are the issues they have posted to throw out any shellfish and fish caught close to the shoreline away. That's great I enjoyed alot of oysters from there guess I will start glowing soon. The clean up I'm guessing will be a huge job.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI - for those of you that are familiar with the location of Toquart it doesn't effect Ucluelet as Toquart is deep in Barkley sound on the Island side in from Kennedy lake when looking at a map where most access it from. Salmon Beach and Mussel Beach are clear it sounds confined to the Toquart Campground area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you may actually be able to park in the Sea Plane Base lot it's a large gravel lot approx 100 yards from the ramp the lower lots blocked but the upper or along the road side as well.

My reason for asking about boat launch and parking area is that harrisons cove lodge uses the lot and launch for access to the lodge... We may have to pick up clients now from ukee or ????

Wonder if the campground that was operating their foreshore boat launch adjacent to the old (now re-opened) public launch at the base of Seaplane Base Road, will operate a secure paid parking area? They'd set up security fencing and had someone from the campground keeping an eye one it so may be worth a few bucks for the safety factor. The parking in the Seaplane Base gravel lot would be good, too, but Ukee's not immune to crime and it is a quiet out of the way spot ...

In any case, glad to see the public launch re-opened, and hopefully improved - great news for Ukee. The adjacent beach was too shallow and useless at some tides. The launch at Island West was in need of repair 5-years ago and has only gotten worse since then.

Maybe salmon beach but I'm not sure as far as parking or a dock they do have a ramp and it does seem strata oriented as far as use there is an onsite year round care taker you could try contacting him and see if Salmon Beach is a possibility. I would think Ukee would be best easier to find for out of towners and it's paved all the way. From all the notices Toquart seems very serious and I assume it could be down indefinitely until they figure out the scope of the project and how they plan to tackle it. I guess time will tell I've seen clean up from a small leaky furnace oil tank and it took a ton of dollars and weeks of digging and trucking out the soil which I believe is transported to the only place on the island that can deal with it somewhere in Cumberland to be processed. I would imagine the scope of the project will be astronomical I would like to be wrong in speculating but I don't think that will be the case. Lets hope for the best.

Wonder if the campground that was operating their foreshore boat launch adjacent to the old (now re-opened) public launch at the base of Seaplane Base Road, will operate a secure paid parking area? They'd set up security fencing and had someone from the campground keeping an eye one it so may be worth a few bucks for the safety factor. The parking in the Seaplane Base gravel lot would be good, too, but Ukee's not immune to crime and it is a quiet out of the way spot ...

In any case, glad to see the public launch re-opened, and hopefully improved - great news for Ukee. The adjacent beach was too shallow and useless at some tides. The launch at Island West was in need of repair 5-years ago and has only gotten worse since then.

The launch is a brand new paved one with a proper slope grade owned by the district the original one is the campgrounds which is closed and beside the new one.

Chees All...I am curious on how Ucluelet Campground will handle this as I have been approached several times by a gentleman who claims he represents the campground and that they 'own' all the land down there and that I must pay to be anywhere on 'their property'. Seems to me that the Municipality has to address the parking issue if they wish to entice the public to come play in their backyard...but it is certainly a great step in the correct direction.... :)

Back