fuel economy

Island Fish Lifter

How many of you guys run twin engines? I have a 26.5' pursuit with twin 200 2 strokes, I burn at best 100 liters an hour, plus oil. I cant make any money this way and I plan to repower with new 4 strokes. What do you 4 strokers burn? Maybe the better option would be to downsize but I really like the deck space.

Operating a 230 Hitachi excavator , hard , for 10 hours I go through about 250 Liters of fuel. I can build a lake in that time !
Your engines would burn 1000. Are they set up right ? Is this a normal thing for boat engines ?
I just have a 40 Mariner, never did think much about fuel. If I remember right, I'd go through about 23L/hr ? (been a while since I've had the boat out)

I'd think that's a bit high. our 31' Pursuit with twin 250's burns 80 liters an hour and thats at 4300RPM on both. What year are your engines/boat? And that is a lot of power for one of the 26fters, you must really boogy. lol

David

The first thing I would do is to install a couple of fuel flow meters to determine how much fuel each engine is burning. Also, fuel flow meters, together with a GPS, will help you to determine the most fuel efficient boat speed and trim by calculating how many liters or gallons per mile your engines are using under different conditions. I think installing fuel flow meters is a cheap investment in a long run. I have been using one for the last few years and I'm really glad I bought it.

that was based on 14 3/4 x 17 props, which gave me approx 5100 max rpm. I ran all sumer like that, if I knew how much itwas going to cost me in the end, I would have repitched beforehand. I recently had 2" taken out which put me at 5600rpm. I havnt calculated fuel cunsumption since then, I figure it may save me at the most 5 gal/ hr. I run it at just over 4000rpm. Before repitching i had an average speed of 31 mph, I now have 28 mph.

oh yea, theyre 1998 evinrude carburated, and im sure theyre mechanically sound. I happen to be a mechanic and checked them out myself. I guess the fuel economey doesnt suprise me, I just want to make sure that what I decide to do makes the most sense economically.

Over $100.00 an hour to run.....
I go on the theory that it doesn't matter what you charge, it's what you have left at the end of the day is what counts.
Hopefully you aren't running out too far to the fishing grounds.
I agree with El Pescador, you need to find your sweet spot on this boat.
Just ask Wolf, about how 3 miles per hour can make a huge difference.

Where abouts are you out of? Winter Harbour? Just curious as I've seen a 26 ft Pursuit out of there this past summer, and they are fairly rare boats on the island.

Im out of campbell river, I guide out of nootka sound. I got the boat last year out of florida. I wouldnt have gotten anything other than a pursuit. Id post a pic but I havnt figured out how to do that yet.

thats aboutright, my grady white sailfish with twin 200 carbed engines is 80-100L an hour at 38-4100rpm 26-29knts. yamahas HPDI's, optimaxes, and etecs are usually MORE efficient thatn 4-strokes, i know this is goignto start and argument but on these biggert boats they more often are than not, look at the specs and performance numbers. dont know what my props are.
i would put on a pair of hpdis, optimaxes, or probably etecs or a new 350v8 if iwas repowering right now, ive looked into it. 400hp outboards are suppose to be out in 2 years, ill probly wait for those. Next year turbo diesel outobards are also coming out on the market, they will be another contender besides among my list or engines. http://www.megoutboard.com/

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

Im out of campbell river, I guide out of nootka sound. I got the boat last year out of florida. I wouldnt have gotten anything other than a pursuit. Id post a pic but I havnt figured out how to do that yet.

Yeah, know what ya mean, we got our 2006 last may out of Lopez Island in Washington. Love them...can't say enough good things. We are looking at getting a 26fter this upcoming Spring and run 2 pursuits. Did you trailer it up from Florida? How much extra did that cost you in fuel, accommodation etc if you don't mind me asking, just so I can get a ballpark figure if we were to do that. Thanks!!:) And for posting pics, just go to www.photobucket.com, make an account then upload the pic on there, then you will see a IMG code underneath the picture once it uploads, copy and paste that right into the text and the picture will be there once you post.

TheNewBoat009.jpg

003.jpg

I have an older 26ft Grady w/ twin 150 HPDI Yami's probably weighs in close to 6200lbs and I don't think I am using more than about 50 litres an hour. Thats cruising @ 30mph. I was just looking at my fuel bills from this summer up in Masset. Averaged about a 120 litres a day. We didn't have far to run but did a fair bit of touring around as well as trolling for about 4-5 hrs a day on the 9.9

I have a single yammie 225 four stroke on my 24ft hewescraft I run it hard all summer 4700 rpm at 37 mph everywhere I go and I burn 42 liters per hour. If this helps at all.

Serengeti, http://www.photobucket.com,/ wouldnt let me get in. Thats a beauty you got there. Mines a bit older, 1989. They just came out with the radiied windshield that year. I will figure out how to post a pic... As to getting it here from florida, I didnt even go there. I chose the boat I was looking for after looking at many... I dealt with a broker in florida, and hired a boat hauler on uship.com. I gotta tell ya though, my next time, i'll go there and look at it/ trailer it myself. It cost me almost $5000 to get it here.

Nice boat IFL. Gotta love em pursuits. fishing machines. this is a stupid butt question, but dont brokers just help you get your boat across the border with no hassles? Or do they help you find one too? Cuz the way richmake was talking it sounds like they help you find one too....but i always though they just help you get er across with no hassle......

David

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

Serengeti, http://www.photobucket.com,/ wouldnt let me get in. Thats a beauty you got there. Mines a bit older, 1989. They just came out with the radiied windshield that year. I will figure out how to post a pic... As to getting it here from florida, I didnt even go there. I chose the boat I was looking for after looking at many... I dealt with a broker in florida, and hired a boat hauler on uship.com. I gotta tell ya though, my next time, i'll go there and look at it/ trailer it myself. It cost me almost $5000 to get it here.

Island Fish Lifter, try this link:

http://photobucket.com/

Back