FRESH SOCKEYE (Port Alberni) ? Are you Kidding me!

Do you think it would make a difference if this ad was forwarded to the DFO?
Every year my girlfriend says "catch me a sockeye" and I have to say sorry, I'm not allowed to! :(

I can see the headlines now
"Summas sockeye run mysteriously disappears... DFO baffled"
[V]

Tips

Drove through the First Nation's reserve last week coming back from a fishing trip to Tofino......... seems every second house on the reserve have signs out, "Sockeye for sale"..........

SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

coming soon in Port Alberni,

"Dumping of Food Fish Caught Sockeye",

to a logging road/ditch near you,

you heard it hear first.....

p.s. x2 what UNKNOWN said, how many "white" guys are parked in China Creek and the likes that are fishing everyday for sockeye?
I was talking with a guy the 1 day that I've fished for them,last Sunday,and he's said he's got at least 150 at home??WTF???

X2 on the fact that this is not the only abuse of the resource.happening in all sectors.

In response to El pascedor's clip and this whole First Nations vrs Non First Nations thing:

All I can say is this. IN MY OPINION,as long as the powers that be (From all sides) continue to facilitate as well as fight for the segregation and distinct separation of Canadians based on race creed and ancient history.We will all be left to talk about what could have been, if we had spent as much of this energy on fighting for the things we all really see as important.(In this case the fish) What was,was. What will be is still in our control.I personally am both tired and saddened by the fact that we keep reading and hearing of decisions being made that separate us more and more.Please do not miss understand me here. I am not expressing an opinion on who has what right.(Yes a Canadian (regardless of race )has the right to be a part of the commercial marketing of our resources.)I am however expressing a strong opinion on my belief that we need to stop dividing Canadians by instituting rule that applies differently to one part of Canadians than the other.but instead institute rule that will first protect that very resource, and then ensure that the rule applies to Canadians as a whole.Not to "White Man" and to "First Nations" as two separate communities,But as Canadians.I am not so naive as to think this is all that simple.I do believe if we are truly to come together for the better of our resources, we first need to stop separating us by law making that defines one Canadian as having rights that another Canadian dose not. Just my opinion.

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

as long as enough salmon get to their choosen lake and streams, all will be forgotten till next years run, hopefully DFO guesses how many get through properly,?! we have the option to not buy from the natives and force them to fish less, this will end up in dumped fish but eventually , their efforts will lessen and more fish will get through

quote:we have the option to not buy from the natives

Yup....... no market -- no fishing for profit. Amazing how that works. But everyone is looking for "deal" and ethics quickly go out the window.... Safeway is selling "fresh" socks for approx $7.00/lb. But HEY!!!! we can get a whole fish at a rode side stand for $10!!!!!!!! Wheeee- such a deal!!!

( And in case you are not aware.. the Nu-chal-nulth (sp) claim that they have a RIGHT to sell fish they catch anytime, except when trumpted for conservation reasons, for economic generation of thier people. )

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

quote:we have the option to not buy from the natives

Yup....... no market -- no fishing for profit. Amazing how that works. But everyone is looking for "deal" and ethics quickly go out the window.... Safeway is selling "fresh" socks for approx $7.00/lb. But HEY!!!! we can get a whole fish at a rode side stand for $10!!!!!!!! Wheeee- such a deal!!!

( And in case you are not aware.. the Nu-chal-nulth (sp) claim that they have a RIGHT to sell fish they catch anytime, except when trumpted for conservation reasons, for economic generation of thier people. )

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Will the natives tell their lawyers to defend the buyer?

A liar will assume you are lying

well if they have the right to sell and barter there fish I have some nice shiny beads and an old axe for some fish, they want there old rights then trade with the old ways. Take what you need and let the rest go, sick and tired of of the whinng and claims

When the fish are GONE they (aboriginals) will have to look in the mirror and recall the 'good old daze' when they sold their heritage at $10/piece mainly to whitey! Got to love the irony...

Anybody that buys those fish are contributing to the problem - just like buying stolen property. [xx(]

I am all for "rights" and even OK with selling some fish as they have always traded for their needs. The current currancy for trade is $$.
As with our sports and commercial fishery the resource needs to be managed.

I am just sickened that they can not self regulate the resource and that greed has won out over common sence. The aboriginals have been and still claim to be proud people. What is going on here is nothing to be proud of. I think their ancestors would be as angry and discraced as I am by the current situation. Time for the elders to step up and get the situation under control. If they could do this then they would have something to be proud of and would see more support from the rest of us.

Tips

Hmmmmmm.......I think "Tits Up" might work for the DFO. I 100% support unknowns passion to save wild Salmon. I also don't see any hijacking what so ever. Enough pointing fingers:(

Cheers,
Jeremy

Gents,

Reality check. The Courts have sided with First Nations right to sell their catch, period. We can ***** about this for as long as we want, but that will not change the outcome.

Perhaps a solution would be that all of us leave our fishing gear at home and our boats parked in our front yards, then go and buy the fish from the First Nations. Then, when the Feds don't sell one single sports fishing licence and marine shops, tackle shops, hotels, gas stations, pubs, restaurants, fishing charters, and the many business that make their living out of us get hit in their bottom lines and go screaming to Ottawa, then and only then perhaps the rules will change. Meanwhile, and until something dramatic happens, they will keep considering the sports fishermen as nothing but a limitless source of revenue.

This is my rant for the day.:(

Argue as long and hard as you like about this one instance.
The natives are breaking no laws and they have the right to sell whatever they catch.All this from your local courthouse.

The problem I have is fishing a run that is low in numbers and suffering more than normal during the spawning trip due to low and warm river water.

In that case,I do believe the DFO or whoever makes the ultimate decision should have the clout and the resources to close the fishing and make it so for everyone no matter who,what or where you reside.

Until we get some personel in the management areas of the governing bodies who don't hold up their stockings with garters and really show an interest in resource protection as opposed to political/economic looks, we are not going to see much overall recovery period.

The personnel out doing the work getting their hands dirty, are generally great folks,its the managers and upper management that don't have a clue or a set of nards. They are too worried about looking good and appeasing their masters!

Phew,Rant over!!!!!!![}:)]

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

So back to the subject, which is "FRESH SOCKEYE (Port Alberni) ? Are you kidding me!" ...

As noted in my earlier comments I would like to see the First Nations People step up and regulate themselves.
quote:I am all for "rights" and even OK with selling some fish as they have always traded for their needs. The current currancy for trade is $$.
As with our sports and commercial fishery the resource needs to be managed.

I am just sickened that they can not self regulate the resource and that greed has won out over common sence. The aboriginals have been and still claim to be proud people. What is going on here is nothing to be proud of. I think their ancestors would be as angry and discraced as I am by the current situation. Time for the elders to step up and get the situation under control. If they could do this then they would have something to be proud of and would see more support from the rest of us.

El Pescador is correct. The courts have given the rights to sell.
Maybe DFO can get more creative and start checking the quality of the fish sold and lay some fines under the Canadian Food and Drug Act? Looking at those Craigs list images, it does not look like much care is taken with the fish being sold.

My feelings on this disrespect for the resource would be the same regardless or race.

Tips

Back