French Creek Salmon Derby Aug/24-26, 2012...

French Creek Salmon Derby Aug/24-26, 2012...
Hey everyone, just a little reminder that we'll be having another local salmon derby at the end of the month. Derby headquarters will be at the French Creek Marine Pub. Tickets are $10.00/Rod, tickets available at French Creek Marina Store-(250) 248-8912, or French Creek Marine Pub-(250) 248-3713. There will be a daily largest salmon prize, as well as daily hidden weight prizes. An overall largest salmon prize, as well as a great prize table that all entrants can enter. All proceeds go to the Marion Baker Fish Hatchery on French Creek. The salmon fishing has picked up lately, with some salmon moving in on the Qualicum Rivers...Hope you can make it!
Western Star

Last edited by a moderator:
French Creek Salmon Derby Boundaries Map

Hey everyone, here is a map of the French Creek Salmon Derby Boundaries.

Western Star

Attachments

• boundaries.jpg
    boundaries.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 199
hmmm.....are we talking another Gong Show for launching/parking at French Creek Marina?

Seen it before.........trailers backed up to the highway and beyond......

Bad enough there on a long weekend, never mind a derby......

Damn.....forgot my happy pill this morning....

hmmm.....are we talking another Gong Show for launching/parking at French Creek Marina?

Seen it before.........trailers backed up to the highway and beyond......

Bad enough there on a long weekend, never mind a derby......

Damn.....forgot my happy pill this morning....
Yah,i hear on that.When i lived there, my wife would drop us off (boat and trailer) and come back to pick us up when we were done fishing. Caught some nice springs there.:)

I am in and out of there every other day. It seems all the crazy incompetent people must settle in this area. I got told off by a senior the other night, scooped 3 of us waiting in line to launch. then, jack knifes his trailer and takes both sides of the launch.

Hey everyone, well maybe there are a few fish around after all... took the family out for a little pratice fish to the Big "Q" last night and this beauty took us on a wild ride. Wow what a scrap! It weighed in at 30 Lbs. 8 Oz., her first Tyee :). hope to see lots of you out for the French Creek Salmon Derby-Good luck to all.

Western Star

Attachments

• big Q chinook.jpg
    big Q chinook.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 210
Hey everyone, well maybe there are a few fish around after all... took the family out for a little pratice fish to the Big "Q" last night and this beauty took us on a wild ride. Wow what a scrap! It weighed in at 30 Lbs. 8 Oz., her first Tyee :). hope to see lots of you out for the French Creek Salmon Derby-Good luck to all.

Western Star

What'd you get it on? How deep? Thanks

Where was the 34 caught? Big Q?

Yesterday me and the wife were out bottom-fishing all day, well within visual sight of the boundary markers for the derby at Gerald/Ballenas area and beyond.. Hardly any boats around at all from what I could see.

They must have all been up at the Q I guess ...or somewhere else that I couldn't see.

yep......only difference is:- in P.A. the MP2 at 42" leader length worked for me in the past whereas at the Q's, a 32 inch leader length seems to be more effective (at least for me). And at the Q's I use the pink mini-squirt with the white glow head.

In P.A. they 've been using the Mp2,Mp15 and Mp16 each year for Chinook for years and years.

On another note, just about zilch posted about the derby since the kick-off........

strange.............

Congratulations to Western Star and the rest of the crew for putting on a great event. Wish I could have been out there more. Super weekend. Can't wait for it all to happen again next year!!

SS

Beauty. What's with the late season Chinook (also in PA) liking pink Hootchies and Squirts so much? Has it aways been an effective choice late in the season?

It happens... especially in PA. Got them in Suk too on those things fishing other stuff

In regards to why pink squirts work so well for staging springs, I`ve heard its due to that the fish start loosing there vision from the fresh water content.
Also we have noticed offshore that alot of our springs have been puking up the krill with the lack of bait around.

Hey everyone, here are some results from the derby...
1 Sean Peacock-34 Lb.
2 Dennis Cronin-29 Lb. 7 Oz.
3 Susan Lougheed-29 Lb. 3 Oz.
4 Darrell Jobb-24 Lb. 8 Oz.
5 Mark Adelburg-23 Lb. 14 Oz.
6 S. Wilcox-23 Lb.
7 Bev Webster-21 Lb. 6 Oz.
8 Terry Horseland-21 Lb.
9 Amy Novak-20 Lb. 8 Oz.
10 Bill Hocking-19 Lb. 3 Oz.
There were 220 tickets sold, up from 182 the year before. Hope we can make it bigger and better for next year. I think the prize table and BBQ was a big hit! Still working on the final number that was raised for the Marion Baker Fish Hatchery on French Creek. I think we should beat the $1500.00 raised last year. Thanks to all who participated, all the business' who donated graciously, and the volenteers. Hope to see you next year.

Western Star

Back