french creek ramp

robertg

I don't know about the rest of you but I am getting frustrated with the problem of people cutting behind your boat as you are backing up to launch your boat at french creek. Lets face it as you back up you are watching your boat and trailer to make sure it is lining up on the ramp, the last thing you need is some guy thinking he has the right of way and just drives right behind your boat. My proposal is to approach the French creek Harbour Authority and have stop signs posted with backing boats have the right of way. I am going to talk to the RCMP and try to find out what happens if a person backing a boat up hits a car that is driving behind the boat when it is clearly underway.Interested in finding out all of your thoughts on this

Good luck with talking to the Harbour Authority. They don't care about Sporties and they will tell you its a Commercial Marina. I feel your pain it happens every time I launch and pull out my boat. It is the most poorly run faculty on the Island and I have seen most of them over the last 40 years.

I offered to pay for a sign to be made at french creek that said "one in,one out" and the harbour authority wanted nothing to do with it. I agree very poorly run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes...the way the marina "through" traffic is designed you are inundated with cross-cutting "Looky-Lou's" or people on their way to the seafood store all the time.....

Gets to be annoying allright.....

I assume it's these kind of people you are referring to......

I haven't really ever had a problem with guys cutting in behind me to launch their boat before me if they showed up after me......

Seems the Looky-Lou's have no patience at all........

They could spend a few bucks and redesign the layout......but spending bucks on launching facilities and marina ramps seems to be very low priority in this neck of the woods for some reason....

actually we could use a brand new multi-ramp public launching facility for the area....but I don't think I'm ever going to see it......

i'm sure the other people using that road are just as choked dodging people launching boats as you folks are! this sounds like a most ridiculous set up, never heard of anything like this anywhere else, maybe they should just deep 6 the boat launch if it crosses a regular thoroughfare??

To get to the far end of the marina or the seafood store you have to cross directly in front of the ramp....both ways.

Many are just people that go down to the far end and then turn around and come right back out.

All they are doing is driving down there mostly just for something to do......(the store is only open certain hours and days).

So they aren't in any big rush...they are just "rubbernecking".

But they are in a rush when you start backing your boat down.

They won't wait...they'll squeeze in behind you if they possibly can no matter what.

Ditto for when you are pulling your boat out....they'll go right in front of you.

Their self-importance is of paramount importance.

One time I was backing the trailer out of a parking spot. Car pulls up with a man and a lady in it, right behind the trailer, blocking my further backup.

He wouldn't move....

He knew I was backing out and could have waited, farther away, for me to clear the spot as he approached. But he didn't and decided to box me in.

I was backing out before he got there. So you could say I had "first choice".

The only choice in his mind was him.

To get to the far end of the marina or the seafood store you have to cross directly in front of the ramp....both ways.

Many are just people that go down to the far end and then turn around and come right back out.

All they are doing is driving down there mostly just for something to do......(the store is only open certain hours and days).

So they aren't in any big rush...they are just "rubbernecking".

But they are in a rush when you start backing your boat down.

They won't wait...they'll squeeze in behind you if they possibly can no matter what.

Ditto for when you are pulling your boat out....they'll go right in front of you.

Their self-importance is of paramount importance.

One time I was backing the trailer out of a parking spot. Car pulls up with a man and a lady in it, right behind the trailer, blocking my further backup.

He wouldn't move....

He knew I was backing out and could have waited, farther away, for me to clear the spot as he approached. But he didn't and decided to box me in.

I was backing out before he got there. So you could say I had "first choice".

The only choice in his mind was him.

Most people who are down there are tourists, they don't know ramp etiquette, so I would say we need to be patient with them. Some of the boaters launching there are the ones who need to smarten up.

Back