Fraser Sockeye Opening

The way I read it is that the panel will release a decision on Aug. 6. Mmmm....., sure would like to catch some sox for the barbie!

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Check the Updates "Notice List" on DFO, the notice is there noiw. Sockeye will open Thursday August 5th for Area 20 at 4 per day.

...Rob

What do i use to catch these sockeye?? how many pound line....hook size and any bait lures that work??

quote:Originally posted by Dude

What do i use to catch these sockeye?? how many pound line....hook size and any bait lures that work??

Dude....unless you are going out in your "wee little" boat ;) this fishery is not open in the river or tidal waters of the Fraser as of yet. That is assuming you are talking about the waters more "local" to you.;)

If you read the notice...take note of the areas on this map in area 29.

quote:- Area 29 - (Subareas 29-1 to 29-5)
Note that opportunities in the remainder of Area 29 including the tidal
portions of the Fraser River will be provided by separate fishery notice.

Area 29 map

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/areas-secteurs/29-eng.htm

Area 28 map;

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/areas-secteurs/28-eng.htm

As to what to use....if fishing out in the chuck small pink hoochies will work for them. I am no expert on river fishing so don't ask me what to use. ;)

You'll need some strong line ,preferably 80-100lb test spooled onto a heavy duty offshore reel.
use the biggest hook you can find and fish a long leader (don't bother to use a flasher.)
extra large herring and maybe a whole mackerel would be a good place to start.
;)[:p]

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

You'll need some strong line ,preferably 80-100lb test spooled onto a heavy duty offshore reel.
use the biggest hook you can find and fish a long leader (don't bother to use a flasher.)
extra large herring and maybe a whole mackerel would be a good place to start.
;)[:p]

Good call rs........I should also add to that to bring a BIG BAT to club them with as they are voracious little predators. [:eek:)]

Has anyone seen any sign of those voracious little predators leaping about?

Its only open for three weeks because the run is three weeks late..

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

Nice to be back from a 9 day trip to the east!!! Now back to fishing !!
All of area 29 is not the same as the old "banana" either. The "banana" as it was known had a larger area than area 29. As I recall Iand am pretty sure, the banana included inside (East) of a line from pt grey to OA then south to the TA bouy way out off Sandheads light. Area 29's western border extends south only from north arm Jetty to Sandheads light. South of that however area 29 western border does extend down to the western point of the canada US border ( 29-6). Not at all the old "Banana" area.

Sorry correction-- The whole of area 29 is not smaller than banana. I meant the sub areas of area 29 that were closed in the chuck earlier this year for the retention of chinook ( then the slot limit for first part of July) - those sub areas 29-10,29-9, 29-7 and 29-6 that were closed are overall smaller than the banana - sorry to confuse the issue.

Originally posted by spring time

mciovin re read the reg 29-1 through 5 that not the banana

OK so not just 29-1 to 29-5 open ** See below as 29-10 29-9 29-7 and 29-6 now opening Thursday too : Interesting that DFO mention those areas to be "known as the banana" WRONG!! ....the old "banana" from years ago was east of a line from QA to TA and south to border - not the same as 29-10 29-9 29-7 and 29-6 !!!

[Effective 00:01 hours Thursday, August 5, 2010 until further notice, in
Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 (known as "the banana") and 29-11 to 29-17
(tidal waters of the Fraser River) retention of sockeye is permitted with a
daily limit of four (4) per day.

Back