For any of you Trophy QR 4.5 Reel Owners

Well I would throw that thing over. You get what you pay for. Karmas a BIOTCH! Just messin with you . I bought some qrs at the beginning of the season and they had the islander springs put in them, thanks hookin up and I love them! Just don't have rookies on the boat where they knock the rod and reel over,( damn sockeye season) wasn't good for the drag. All cleaned and oiled up now, works much better. Only thing I want is some new paddles!

Garbage. You get what you pay for.

hmmmm and now its going to cost you over a 100 bucks to get new ones....

All kidding aside most of the reels on the market are good if you look after them all leave it alone and dont maintain them **** breaks down fast as there all precision equipment not like the old days of a peetz reel

I bought a qr have no issues with it curious as to what the difference is when putting islander springs in them ?

I couldn't tell you as I have never used a trophy from the box. I was told the drag is not as delicate. I've heard you can just move the drag on one out of the box and its tight. Mine I can turn a full turn and its slightly tighter. My guess is the spring is stronger with the islanders.

I couldn't tell you as I have never used a trophy from the box. I was told the drag is not as delicate. I've heard you can just move the drag on one out of the box and its tight. Mine I can turn a full turn and its slightly tighter. My guess is the spring is stronger with the islanders.

Also heard they (QR's) drag corks are supposed to be pre oiled/lubed out of the box and lots weren't. Def worth opening up and making sure incase store you bought from didn't do it for you.

Hmmm.....mine isn't pre-oiled/lubed out of the box.

Is there a preferred oil/lube here or just the standard reel stuff ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Scotty, those reels you have now when new the drags were not nice it was like 1 turn to full lock up, with the Islander springs in there now they are much more buttery smooth with a couple turns to full lock up such as what you have now

I just serviced my mr 3 and found the inner bearing is toast already! its only two months old! I cant catch a break. Maybe I should just go back to shimano. :(

You should look into Salt water fly reels. Used Colton and Van Staals this year with out any problems. Check out the new Hardy 12000 sds reel. Very impressive looking reels, going to get a couple for next season.

Might have a brand new Islander MR3 gold for sale. Still in the box never been used. Its has been in my garage for 2 seasons, I think its time so sell it.

I use any Reel oil but you have to soak it then WIPE any oil off you dont want it wet very easy to do if it is wet in any way the reel wont be smooth and will go down "choppy" this is where a little is better than alot hope that helps
good luck wolf

I use any Reel oil but you have to soak it then WIPE any oil off you dont want it wet very easy to do if it is wet in any way the reel wont be smooth and will go down "choppy" this is where a little is better than alot hope that helps
good luck wolf

I have 2 trophy qr reels, have swapped to islander springs, very easy improvement for about $10/spring and with an extra washer you can back the drag right off and still have a little resistance so you dont have a birdsnest.

I have the small handles still and have had them get loose. needs watching. I put some black medical tubing over the handles to give them more grip.

My problem is that the outgoing drag clicker is too quiet. I notice that the main cog that has the cork drag stuck to it, the teeth look worn...but it hasnt worn evenly all the way around the cog, about 1/5 has worn more than the rest of the cog. This is the same on both reels, makes me think something was out of line originally in manufacture, maybe they came like this.

also the spring seems pretty feeble on the drag clicker. Anyone got a suggestion to increase the clicker noise?

You can put a bit more 'bend' in the existing spring to increase clicker noise. When I loaded my reels with braided line the clicker volume dropped off??. I striped the line and the volume came right back? I assume the braided line dampens down the 'ring' of the arbor. Some of the loudness came back after the spring adjustment

Thanks for the 'intel' gents. I'm sure you have lessened the chances of a birds nest or two... Or worse yet, one of them going overboard...

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
Back